GI: 505 Intake Manifold Round 3

Welp...

The injector O-rings I was using on the old manifold are not sealing up with the new one. (bang) I am hoping that the dealer has some in stock for me to pick up tomorrow morning, and if not then I'm going to get them coming from Amazon for a Wednesday delivery. In a way this is actually kind of good news, as it looks like the OEM rings are going to work perfectly, so you guys should be able to just swap your existing ones over. Just a stupid oversight on my part to not realize that I didn't have any of those laying around anymore. (bang)

Everything else went perfect with the install, and it looks fantastic in there. Really happy with how it all turned out. (naughty)

I especially love how the vac ports being moved to the underside really cleaned up the overall look around the manifold. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to get all the lines hooked up from the top, so I didn't have to jack up the car and do them from the bottom. The space between the firewall and manifold is a little smaller than the 1st/2nd gen manis, but there is still plenty of room to access the oil filter from the top (which is another little bonus that I always loved about these manifolds).

Thankfully the weather is supposed to stay consistent here this week, so I don't think there will be any problems with using my baseline accelerometer numbers that I gathered today. I did 20 pulls (5 pulls in 4 different spots), and the numbers were solid across the board from spot to spot. I will repeat the exact same runs for the "after test", and it should be very apparent if the new manifold is performing any differently than my 1st gen. If there are any big changes up or down, I will go ahead and schedule some dyno time.

Lastly, apparently there is nobody in New Mexico that has a flow bench for testing manifolds. One place here in Albuquerque has a set up for heads, but he says he isn't set up for doing manifolds at all. So since I can't be making a trip to Phoenix or Denver with my work schedule, I won't be able to get those numbers versus the stocker.

Here's some pics that I shot today:

IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

The plenum is huge compared to the old version!

I see that you are using a Perrin fuel rail. I got myself a JayRacing one; will it fit as perfectly as the Perrin?

The plenum is huge compared to the old version!

I see that you are using a Perrin fuel rail. I got myself a JayRacing one; will it fit as perfectly as the Perrin?

Internal volume on the plenum is almost identical. The main reason it looks so much larger is because it's almost 2.5 times thicker. And yes the JayRacing rail will work perfectly... it is actually what this was modeled with. :)

Stock O-rings are the ticket. Car runs perfect and feels great. The lot where I did 2 sets of my before pulls is closed, so full testing will have to wait til morning. The quick burn around the block felt awesome though.

Well I honestly wasn't expecting this much improvement, but here goes:

Average peak HP before - 232
Average peak HP after - 246

And I'm an average of 2 tenths faster 0-60.

The margin of error on the peak hp at each spot was +/- 3hp.

Boost for all runs was spiking to 10 and holding at 8.

Partial throttle where the boost/vac gauge reads right at zero is majorly improved. No hiccups whatsoever and it revs through the band all the way to 6500 very smooth. On a similar note, the pedal feel is fantastic with the perfected cable geometry... it's like butter.

We've got a winner folks. I'm going to blast around as much as I can between now and Sunday and then pull the plugs to verify that the distribution across the cylinders is still perfect, and if nothing comes up there I'll open the GB Sunday night.

(rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon) (rockon)

GB thread is basically typed up... waiting on one little finishing touch here before I post it (should be up before I head to work tomorrow).

Back