GI: Affordable Intake Manifold

Thats part of what I've been looking into. Most CELs are thrown based on a resistance or voltage value not being in an expected range. I just need to find out what the ECU is looking for and then fooling it shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah anything can be simulated, but was wondering if you already knew what our PCM needed. I can borrow an oscilloscope and see what the boost sensor is outputting. We might actually need some kind of active circuit that raises the voltage of the boost sensor output when the EGR valve and solenoid open up. Anything is possible, but I feel like this one could be a little tricky.

Late to join in, But 626mani is next up for me. I WOULD DEFINITELY BE IN ON THIS!! 505 is just baller status. Seems crazy to spend the price of a Garrett on that.

EGR is a definite must for me. I HATE CEL!! I got 1 CEL left, for EGR. hahah And personally I wouldnt be interested in tricking the computer and deleting it either, its there for a reason. And its not bothering anyone LOL but to each his own and itd be awesome if someone could figure that one out.

I don't think it would be terrible, but it would certainly shift the power higher in the revs. It would be a gamble.
True..It is risky...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>
(boom01)

Any pics of the intake mani yet? Also the egr is not is not a simple thing to delete with out getting a cel. I have mine plumbed into the intake right after the maf sensor instead of the exhaust no cel right now but would love to delete it some time. Only problem is the ecu looks for vacuum fluctuations as the ecu is opening and closing the egr at the same time it looks to make sure the valve is there. Too much vacuum change will throw a code for egr flow to great and not enough to little no egr will just say its faulty. To simulate the egr you would def need to do a lot of research into all the variable of when the egr starts its test and how much of a change in vacuum it is looking for then the voltage changes due to the fluctuations not impossible but just a lot of research and testing and design of some sort of microcontroller and its program.

i wan't him to figure this egr delete out lol. i need one so i can delete mine hopefully he will sell them separate from the manifolds =)

We got my friend's Renesis back in his RX-8 last weekend, so maybe we'll have some time to break out the oscilloscope to figure out the EGR signals and how complicated of a device we will need to run without it and not trip a CEL.

I've been doing a ton of reading from the factory service manual this evening about the function of the boost sensor and what the PCM is looking for. I need someone to conduct a little test for me. Unplug the boost sensor (firewall on the passenger side) and then pull the code. I have a theory on how to simulate it, but knowing exactly what code(s) get thrown will help. Thanks!

I'm expecting P0401

Last edited:
I just pulled up the manual. The boost sensor solenoid is similar to the rest of the solenoids for the intake, or an EBC. There is a port open to the atmosphere, one side to the intake and one side to the boost sensor.

The boost sensor is also the barometric pressure meter, it is read on pin 34 of the PCM. It is expecting a voltage of 2.3 (-20m) to 4.7 (3000m) when the solenoid is off and the boost sensor has atmospheric pressure applied. Under vacuum (solenoid closed, idle) it is expecting .8-1.3V.

P0401 is "EGR flow insufficient detected," but there is also P0402 which is "EGR flow excessive detected". The service manual does not say what specific voltages it is expecting for either of these two, which would be wonderful to know.

There is also a P1487 for the solenoid valve circuit malfunction. I would imagine if you unplugged the connector you could see this code although it is not a MIL code.

So without the EGR we would need to know when exactly the PCM is opening the EGR valve, but then during that time, increase the voltage on pin 34, but how much it doesn't say. We still need normal operation of the solenoid and normal readings during idle though.

To make matters worse, it looks like the EGR valve is a stepper with four pins on the PCM, so 16 steps. It could very well expect a different pressure reading for each step (PCM pins 68 72 46 and 56).

One of us is going to have run around with a scope on all 4 of those pins and monitor all of them while logging the reading from pin 34. Then we'll have to make a device that mimics this operation.

Anything is possible, but this doesn't look like a simple O2 simulator. While I hate the existence of EGR, it is only supposedly active during cruise so it does not affect performance. I am not sure the ROI is there for such a lengthy experiment and development of such a simulator.

The boost sensor is also the barometric pressure meter, it is read on pin 34 of the PCM. It is expecting a voltage of 2.3 (-20m) to 4.7 (3000m) when the solenoid is off and the boost sensor has atmospheric pressure applied. Under vacuum (solenoid closed, idle) it is expecting .8-1.3V.

This is exactly what I was looking at and I think the solution is fairly simple. The tricky part is knowing when to adjust the voltage. Rather than scoping the EGR valve just look for when the boost solenoid opens. The boost solenoid activation circuit then becomes the trigger used to alter the voltage. The manual already tells us what the ranges are -> 2.3V-4.7V for atmospheric pressure or boost solenoid closed, and 0.8V-1.3V for boost solenoid open (vacuum).

I much prefer figuring this out over making n manifolds and having to mess with EGR, a little work up front beats an hour of aggravation on each manifold sold.

Anything new on this? Was looking to port my intake but if this is going to be available anytime soon then I'd rather go this route.

Thats part of what I've been looking into. Most CELs are thrown based on a resistance or voltage value not being in an expected range. I just need to find out what the ECU is looking for and then fooling it shouldn't be that hard.
if the Ecu is looking for a resistance couldn't you just find what the normal range of that is and just stick a resistor in there or something like that?

Right now I don't have time to port it myself so was thinking of picking one up in the FS section and doing mine later. But if this becomes available soon then I can get this one and port mine after the install. I can't justify spending $900 on the 505 right now.

here's a thought... add the ports for EGR, and sell the manifold with a blanking plate. let the installer worry about whether to include the EGR valve or not, and how to deal with it. then, make a note in your advertisements that it will ship this way.

Back