Looking at a CX5 AND RAV4...does anyone here regret buying the CX5? Or the trim level

My major gripes with the CRV is that it didn't deliver very good fuel economy, was doggy, and had excessive road noise. According to the article Motor Trend didn't get mileage close to the EPA numbers - but - attributed it to an early release model. Yeah, right. My CX-5, in 7K miles now, easily hits or exceeds it's EPA numbers, and, will still blow the doors off the "improved" 2015 CRV. Apparently the CRV is still a bit noisy as well. The Honda might have better resale value, and, better electronic "bling", but, the Mazda is the better "driver's" car.

Just my 2 cents worth
Oldengineer

Check out fuelly for the CR-V and see for your self that the previous gen CR-V (one gen after what you had) gets pretty decent 26.7 MPG on average. The new earth-dreams engine is definitely an improvement, so I think they will hit their numbers. You can compare current gen Accords (which have the same engine) to previous gens and see the difference.

I too think the CX-5 is a better driver's car, but the CR-V is still very appealing to many customers.
Also keep in mind that MT "car of the year" winner is part of a group of significantly improved vehicles for that model year, so the CX-5 (and most others) were not even considered.

Ok so what if car handling/driving fun is a nice thing to have but not the most important thing. The best thing is let's say comfortable ride for getting from A to B, low noise, reliability, great fuel economy and latest technology. Which is the best CUV to get then?

Oh dear. Well. I think you are describing a toyota prious. I have ridden one and they are quiet and comfortable. They get great mileage and I have never heard anyone say or write that they are fun to drive.

Ok so what if car handling/driving fun is a nice thing to have but not the most important thing. The best thing is let's say comfortable ride for getting from A to B, low noise, reliability, great fuel economy and latest technology. Which is the best CUV to get then?

did you look at the Mitsubishi mirage? high mpg w/o hybrid and lots of mods for it.

Mazdas are driver's cars. They ride firm, you can hear the engine rev, and are quite minimalist in the interior department. They tend to get good reviews because car reviewers like those things. If this is not high on your list, you will probably be unimpressed.

I've been in a new CR-V. It's spacious. But, it's a bit boring. The leather seats were pleated. It struck me as the mom jeans of cars.

Mazdas are driver's cars. They ride firm, you can hear the engine rev, and are quite minimalist in the interior department. They tend to get good reviews because car reviewers like those things. If this is not high on your list, you will probably be unimpressed.

I've been in a new CR-V. It's spacious. But, it's a bit boring. The leather seats were pleated. It struck me as the mom jeans of cars.

Well I have to be honest, after testing 2014 CRV, Forester, RAV4 and CX5, I liked CX5 the best. Yes that was in part due to how it felt driving (but of course a test drive is only a half hour or so), but I'm not the kind of guy who constantly needs this. It's nice, but not required. In the long term, a car with less noise and more comfortable ride is more important. However, it wasn't just the ride of the CX5 that was the best, I thought the interior was better and so was the look. But again, in one of the most important categories of smooth noiseless ride, the others were better. Now it seems the 2015 CRV has all the bells and whistles too, but of course only in the top trim. And I agree with others that CRV is not a great looking car. So yeah I do want the CX5 the most, but just worry that I won't be happy with the bumps and noise in the long term.

Dazed and confused. :(

Play it safe and get the CRV. That is what you should get.
I'm taking every curve, as fast as I can and exit as a sports car, by pushing the gas at half into the turn.
For me, this is the most important having fun while getting decent mpgs. You are completely the opposite.

You can take a stock CX5 out for some track laps and not look like a complete doofus. It's pretty fun in fact.

Play it safe and get the CRV. That is what you should get.
I'm taking every curve, as fast as I can and exit as a sports car, by pushing the gas at half into the turn.
For me, this is the most important having fun while getting decent mpgs. You are completely the opposite.

I got the awd (twice) so that I can take that turn at full throttle, then upshift to trail out.

I have found this forum informative It demonstrates that there are many different kinds of car people out there. Some are all about the LED lighting and the outside looks. Nothing wrong with that. Some are all about the sound system, Bluetooth, and phone stuff, Nothing wrong with that. Me, I drove 6 crossovers and never turned on the radio on any of them or walked around the outside to look at the lighting until the second test drive on the CX-5. If it wasn't fun to drive then it didn't matter.

If you would rather ride to work then drive you don't want a CX-5
If you would rather drive twisty back roads for 40 min. then a 4 lane for 30. min to get to work then the CX-5 is for you.
If you ever drove for 2 hrs making a 20 min trip because you spotted a neat road then the CX-5 is for you.
If that doesn't make any sense to you then you should buy something else.

Different strokes for different folks.

Zoom Zoom

Exactly! The front seats also have fold-down armrests like captain's chairs. Felt very mini-van and old-persony to my wife and I. There's definitely a 'square' uncool factor to that car.

Not a problem. Go buy a Mercedes Benz GLK 250 Diesel. I don't suppose its great handling and quickness would be a turn-off - if it meets all your other criteria. My CX-5's stablemate is a GLK350 4Matic. It meets all your criteria, but my gas version only gets about 24 - 26 MPG.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Not a problem. Go buy a Mercedes Benz GLK 250 Diesel. I don't suppose its great handling and quickness would be a turn-off - if it meets all your other criteria. My CX-5's stablemate is a GLK350 4Matic. It meets all your criteria, but my gas version only gets about 24 - 26 MPG.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Wish I could afford that, but unfortunately I can't. Max I want to spend is $35K. I dunno, I guess I'll test drive both the CRV and CX5 one more time and pick the best deal. Truth be told I probably can't afford the highest CRV trim anyways, which has all the tech features.

Regards:
Oldengineer
well the new Mercedes glk 250 starts at $34000, no options.. it's pretty much equivalent to an awd cx-5 touring with a bigger engine and adaptive braking, basic touch screen radio, 14 way power seat w/memory and 18 wheels.. if you option it out to similar equipment as a loaded cx-5 gt (~32k) your close to 40k. And imo, the front of it looks pretty goofy. Turbo engine is nice of course.

brucen:

You might check with your local Mercedes dealer. The base price on a GLK 250 is about $37K US I think. If they've got some incentives going, they might be able to get there for you. You won't get much electronic bling on a base car however. There's the smaller CUV Mercedes coming out as well - I think its a GLA. It starts in the mid $30's. Look at the Mercedes website and see. I didn't shop Honda again, but, when I shopped Mazda here, they were running prices at me real close to invoice with 0% financing on the 2015s. The Edmund website will show you who's running incentives and the details. I don't know if they would be the same in Canada though - but - the Canadian website for brands you're interested in should detail incentives as well. Anyway - good luck shopping.

Regards:
Oldengineer

There is not much room in European CUVs, maybe same goes for SUVs too. (and I love European cars)

Back