Looking at a CX5 AND RAV4...does anyone here regret buying the CX5? Or the trim level

You sound like a Honda person, you have to go with the CRV.
My wife has a 09', but I would never go with one.
First of all, there is one in every family(I like to be unique). You will blend in perfectly with one.
There is no fun in driving, for me that is one of the main reason on going with the CX5. I don't like boring, maybe you do.
I care for electronic gadgets a lot, but that it wouldn't be a big factor when I buy a car, maybe for my home theater system.
I can change the stereo/speakers for a much better one, so no biggie there. Factory stuff will always be just a factory system, unless you go with some $10k audio upgrade.
Those lane departure assist and such systems, may sound great now, but after a couple of weeks, you won't care about them. They may become annoying features when they start beeping.
It's your choice.
For me, the most important is the look of the vehicle, the fun factor, build quality(I'm used to European cars), uniqueness, some electronic features, value for the money and lastly is the reliability and resale value. I'm willing to lose some for the fun factor.

I just have more confidence in a CR-V long term.
Especially when I read of Mazda denying of warranty claims here and other Mazda forums.

The CX is a great looking CUV,no doubt.I do like it a lot.
That and the tech for the buck is why I bought one.I've accessorized a bit.
However,the infotainment system is awful.Especially for a '15 vehicle.Maybe some updating of the firmware will help.The Bose is barely adequate and another minor grievance is no open button for the cargo door on the remote fob.WTF!

I rushed into a CX and should have done more research.

The CX has blind spot monitors and HIDs I love that the '15 CR-V still doesn't have.
I've been a Honda/Toyota guy for many years.It was tough for me too go away from those brands but the CX design and tech got me to buy one.
Maybe it's a matter of time for me to have more confidence in Mazda.

As far as a fun vehicle,I have my GS.
My wife couldn't care less about handling and the fun factor,though.

BTW,a new generation CR-V blows away the last generation in every everything.I know as we had both.The '15 is even better with a bit more power,more MPGs and the tech.

I guess what scares me too is the Skyactiv.It's really a new technology that hasn't been out long enough to see how it ill be long term.I kind of wonder why another auto manufacturer hasn't come out with this Skyactiv design earlier.It seems to be a very good design for more power and MPGs.

Especially when I read of Mazda denying of warranty claims here and other Mazda forums.

That and the tech for the buck is why I bought one.I've accessorized a bit.
However,the infotainment system is awful.Especially for a '15 vehicle.Maybe some updating of the firmware will help.The Bose is barely adequate and another minor grievance is no open button for the cargo door on the remote fob.WTF!

The CX has blind spot monitors and HIDs I love that the '15 CR-V still doesn't have.
I've been a Honda/Toyota guy for many years.It was tough for me too go away from those brands but the CX design and tech got me to buy one.
Maybe it's a matter of time for me to have more confidence in Mazda.

As far as a fun vehicle,I have my GS.
My wife couldn't care less about handling and the fun factor,though.

BTW,a new generation CR-V blows away the last generation in every everything.I know as we had both.The '15 is even better with a bit more power,more MPGs and the tech.

I guess what scares me too is the Skyactiv.It's really a new technology that hasn't been out long enough to see how it ill be long term.I kind of wonder why another auto manufacturer hasn't come out with this Skyactiv design earlier.It seems to be a very good design for more power and MPGs.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm formerly a Honda/Ford guy. But, the last couple Honda dealers salesmen pissed me off to the point that I probably won't ever go back. So, until the day I bought my CX-5, I hadn't even ever driven a Mazda before, now I own one. Like I told my salesman, the CX-5 will either be my first of many Mazdas, or my first and last, depending on how things go over the next 5 to 10 years. I too am concerned how Skyactive will hold up 100K to 200K miles and more... So far, so good, but, it's early...

I guess what scares me too is the Skyactiv.It's really a new technology that hasn't been out long enough......

Skyactiv is really just a BS marketing term for a combination of tricks to bring the compression ratio up without causing knocking. Light/shaped pistons and very long headers to help cool exhaust gasses are the two biggest factors...... I don't quite see what there is to be 'scared' of.

Is it worth getting the dealer to install things like remote starter, roof rack, or trailer hitch? Or should I do these myself?

I was most concerned about the remote starter. With all the electronics these days, the last thing I wanted is something getting messed up in the vehicle and would hurt the warranty. Then I did have a list of accessories and used that in the bargaining process. Some of the extras get installed by a 3rd party (dealer approved company), and it's easy to compare $$ if you brought it there yourself. I ended up with the remote starter, full 3M protection on the frontend, all weather mats, cargo cover, and cargo mat. I was going to get these anyways, so by making this deal, I paid a fraction of what I would have if done myself. Sort of package deal and it was all ready when I picked the vehicle up on day 1.

No one has come out with equivalent to Skyactiv because no one could figure out how to heat up the catalytic converter quick enough to meet US pollution standards when using full length headers. Skyactiv is the first modern car to ever have full length headers, and all Skyactiv benefits revolve around that (13:1 compression on 87 octane gas, 15% better power, 15% better mpg, low torque peak). Mazda injects unburnt gas into the header when cold to quickly heat up the catalytic converter. This little trick makes Skyactiv possible. Its probably patented now, so no one else can do it.

Today, the 2015 CRV won car of the year. Mostly because it got a CVT transmission. (hand)

My last car was a Honda (2007 Civic). It had a engine block crack recall, as did all 2006-2009 Civics. The engine block was designed too thin and coolant cracks develop requiring entire engine to be replaced. Even Honda is not immune to serious problems.

Last edited:
We traded in a '13 CRV EX-L with Nav.
The only reason I went with the CX is for the tech.
Now the CRV has tech including lane departure warning, adaptive cruise. Also the infotainment system in the CX blows . The Bose system shouldn't have the name Bose.
The CX looks and handles great but resale value and reliability isn't that of the CRV. The 19" wheels look great but provide a harsher ride than the CRV.
The CX is the wife's vehicle so I don't drive it that often.
We'll keep it a couple of years.

Interesting. Motor trend just named the 2015 CR-V the SUV of the year.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/2015_honda_cr_v_is_the_motor_trend_suv_of_the_year/

I guess that really only applies though to the highest trim level.

I have never been able to figure out what the Motor trend car of the year was based on but years ago I figured out that it has nothing to do with the best car.

Some real crap on the list.

2014 Cadillac CTS
2013 Tesla Model S
2012 Volkswagen Passat
2011 Chevrolet Volt[11]
2010 Ford Fusion[12]
2009 Nissan GT-R
2008 Cadillac CTS
2007 Toyota Camry
2006 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler 300
2004 Toyota Prius
2003 Infiniti G35
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2000 Lincoln LS
1999 Chrysler 300M
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
1997 Chevrolet Malibu
1996 Dodge Caravan
1995 Chrysler Cirrus
1994 Ford Mustang
1993 Ford Probe GT
1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1986 Ford Taurus LX
1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1983 AMC / Renault Alliance
1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant
1980 Chevrolet Citation
1979 Buick Riviera S
1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon
1977 Chevrolet Caprice
1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare
1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
1974 Ford Mustang II
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1972 Citron SM (an imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")
1971 Chevrolet Vega
1970 Ford Torino
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
1968 Pontiac GTO
1967 Mercury Cougar
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
1965 Pontiac Motor Division
1964 Ford Motor Company (not for the Mustang)
1963 American Motors (AMC) Rambler (all models: American, Classic, and Ambassador)
1962 Buick Special
1961 Pontiac Tempest
1960 Chevrolet Corvair
1959 Pontiac Motor Division
1958 Ford Thunderbird
1957 Chrysler Corporation (all makes: Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial)
1956 Ford Motor Company
1955 Chevrolet Motor Division
1954 No award
1953 No award
1952 Cadillac Motor Division
1951 Chrysler Corporation
1950 No award
1949 Cadillac Motor Division

They will never live down the '80 Chevy Citation.

chevrolet-citation-2.jpg

Renault Alliance,Chevy Vega,Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare,Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon etc(drunk)

Renault Alliance,Chevy Vega,Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare,Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon etc(drunk)

The TBI and Feedback carb era :)

The Dodge & Plymouth may have been just straight mech carb in some incarnations. :)

I have never been able to figure out what the Motor trend car of the year was based on but years ago I figured out that it has nothing to do with the best car.

I read the article, and, had to smile. I replaced a 2010 2WD Honda CRV with a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD. My major gripes with the CRV is that it didn't deliver very good fuel economy, was doggy, and had excessive road noise. According to the article Motor Trend didn't get mileage close to the EPA numbers - but - attributed it to an early release model. Yeah, right. My CX-5, in 7K miles now, easily hits or exceeds it's EPA numbers, and, will still blow the doors off the "improved" 2015 CRV. Apparently the CRV is still a bit noisy as well. The Honda might have better resale value, and, better electronic "bling", but, the Mazda is the better "driver's" car.

Just my 2 cents worth
Oldengineer

I got to drive the CX last night.Something I should do more often because it is a great CUV to drive.(2thumbs)

Back