Looking at a CX5 AND RAV4...does anyone here regret buying the CX5? Or the trim level

I have the Touring AWD and I have no regrets. GT did not offer me anything I really wanted/needed.
I definitely prefer cloth seats and so is my wife. In fact, even the smell of the leather from the steering wheel bothered me for a few months.
Despite what people say, I think the stock radio on the Touring is decent. Yeah, the basses are amplified too much and some higher frequencies are attenuated, but after minor sound-setting tweaks I am pretty happy with the quality, would not be willing to spend more on it. USB nor resuming playback is my only gripe.
The 17" wheels are a better size for what I need them for and the headlights are bright enough for me and I don't really care if they move or not.
My wife's car has automatic climate control and I clearly prefer the simple setup in mine. The key problem with these systems, at least for me, is that the temperature setting you dial in is either inaccurate or feels inaccurate, so still have to change the temperature from time to time during long drives. So, there is not much difference in operation, except mine is trivially simple.

The features I cared about in my CX-5 are AWD, the 2.5L engine, Fun to drive, fuel-economy, Bluetooth/USB, 'just right' size & utility, comfortable seats and good looks. I do also like the rear view camera and privacy glass.

"If" I went for a CX-5 from the start, again, I'd get the GS FWD with 17" alloys. The NB-1 and its short comings: overall speed, BT, USB and GPS are not worth it. I'd remove the stock radio unit, get a 7" tablet and fit it to the dash and be done with it. Music and Maps would be significantly better.

To add,

The only thing in the Tech pack that is worth it is the BiXenon lights. BSM and AFS are kind of gimmicks, never needed them before and relying on them is redundant. I still shoulder check and am well aware of what's in front of me.

I like the light that comes through the moonroof but opening it only increases the noise by a factor of 10x. Its been opened maybe twice all summer.

No cupholders in the back except when the middle seat back is folded down. The little centre compartment between the front seats should go and 2 cup holders be put in its place. Also, 2 proper rear vents for heat.

Ironically, as I edit this, The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction is playing. :-D

Last edited:
I love the way my 2014 FWD Touring drives, it feels like a taut sporty sedan. The 2.5 liter engine with this transmission works so well and the power at 36,000 miles is really good for a 4 cylinder SUV. It is surprising to me the difference in highway merging power, where my previous sport felt sometimes anemic, this engine combo feels strong and acceleration is brisk.

I have no regrets except sometimes the higher road noise bothers me on long highway jaunts. I also upgraded the factory speakers with two amplifiers and a sub all run off the factory head unit and a DSP. The RAV 4 seems like a fine automobile but I think it appeals to a different kind of driver than the Mazda does. Nothing wrong with the Toyota; it's just not for me.

I test drove the RAV-4 just before making my purchase.
At the time, the middle XLE trim was nicely equipped with a moon-roof (I did not care for one), roof-rails and the handling was much better compared to the previous gen RAV-4 (with the spare on the back door). I also liked the 4 wheel lock feature and the new 6AT transmission was very responsive, a definite improvement over the old 4AT. I think the exterior look is only OK, not as good as the CX-5. The ground clearance is larger in the CX-5. I don't know much about the Entune system, but I heard only good things about it.
I did not appreciate the "shelf" like dashboard with fake stitching and the fake carbon-fiber plastic next to the cup holders.
At the time, I could get one for less than a CX-5 Touring, however the CX-5 rides better, has better fuel-economy and looks better. So I decided to go with the CX-5.

I test drove the RAV 4 in December of 2013. Nice car but no excitement or joy in driving it. I did not like the dash layout or the feel of the leatherette (which the sales guy told me was real leatherette, not the fake kind!).

I ended up buying a 2014 GT and regret one thing. I got a OEM hitch and a remote start and no Tech package. I regret not getting the tech package. The remote entry and nav system have value. Yes, the NAv system sucks, but it is nice to have a map that is larger than your phone. Love the car otherwise.

No regrets on my GS (Touring) model. We didn't want leather so that was easy. The GS has nicer seats than the base model. All the extra features was exactly what we wanted. Just like all other vehicles, the NAV is a waste of money. sorry but lots of friends have it but we have the same thing (or more) with our $100 GPS unit.
We also test drove the RAV4. Nice vehicle but just too boring. I'm sure the RAV will be a very reliable vehicle, but there was no fun factor in driving it. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Have got a GSX 2.2 Diesel I'm nit sure what the US equivalent is . Ive got NAV ,Bose sounds . We paid a extra $3300 NZD to have interior upgraded to leather as the cloth looked a bit shithouse .

With the new '15 CR-V Touring with lane departure,adaptive cruise,collision mitigation braking system,power tailgate,better infotainment/Nav system,better MPGs and resale value.......yes.(sad1)

Are you sure you are comparing similar trim levels?

I might be buying a CX5 AWD Touring next week and am considering the different options.

Is it worth getting the dealer to install things like remote starter, roof rack, or trailer hitch? Or should I do these myself?

I might be buying a CX5 AWD Touring next week and am considering the different options.

Is it worth getting the dealer to install things like remote starter, roof rack, or trailer hitch? Or should I do these myself?

Well, if you know you are going to get them anyway then I'd say it's better to have the dealer install them.

(A) Because you can negotiate on the price (whatever options I wanted, I paid the dealer invoice price, not MSRP).
(B) Because you will save on taxes (car purchases in Houston are taxed at 6.25% vs 8.25% if you paid retail for the parts later).
(C) You can roll the extra costs into the financed amount, if that's what you want to do.
(D) If the dealer installs the parts and something goes wrong, they are covered under the car warranty.

Just my $0.02

If you're buying new, just have the dealer include them, and make it part of the deal. I required the cargo cover to help hide stuff, and the hitch for our bike rack. So, I told them, that must be part of the deal, and gave them my offer, I didn't really go up to cover the addition of the cargo cover and the bike rack. If they wanted to sell a car that day, they'd find a way to make it happen as part of the deal. Of course, they found a way.

CR-V's for whatever reason make me think of a Pontiac Aztek. I just don't find them an appealing vehicle... just my subjective opinion.

2015-honda-cr-v-spy-photo-inline1-1-photo-607523-s-original.jpg

pontiac-aztek-yellow.jpg

So would you really go for the CRV now? What about the loss of handling and ride?
We traded in a '13 CRV EX-L with Nav.
The only reason I went with the CX is for the tech.
Now the CRV has tech including lane departure warning, adaptive cruise. Also the infotainment system in the CX blows . The Bose system shouldn't have the name Bose.
The CX looks and handles great but resale value and reliability isn't that of the CRV. The 19" wheels look great but provide a harsher ride than the CRV.
The CX is the wife's vehicle so I don't drive it that often.
We'll keep it a couple of years.

On the hitch.. it depends on what you plan to do. OEM is only a Class I hitch.

CR-V's for whatever reason make me think of a Pontiac Aztek. I just don't find them an appealing vehicle... just my subjective opinion.

The lines of the CRV look similiar to its bigger cousin the Oddysey.
IMO, the Oddysey looks like a hearse, especially when in black.
Actually saw one used as a hearse.

The lines of the CRV look similiar to its bigger cousin the Oddysey.
IMO, the Oddysey looks like a hearse, especially when in black.
Actually saw one used as a hearse.
Yea, in the funeral industry, especially mortuary service vans are used for transport. More discreet, and cheaper. At the mortuary svc I worked for, we have 3 or 4 Honda od's. The dodge caravan is popular too. You can get two stretchers side by side in these minivans.

We traded in a '13 CRV EX-L with Nav.
The only reason I went with the CX is for the tech.
Now the CRV has tech including lane departure warning, adaptive cruise. Also the infotainment system in the CX blows . The Bose system shouldn't have the name Bose.
The CX looks and handles great but resale value and reliability isn't that of the CRV. The 19" wheels look great but provide a harsher ride than the CRV.
The CX is the wife's vehicle so I don't drive it that often.
We'll keep it a couple of years.

You sound like a Honda person, you have to go with the CRV.
My wife has a 09', but I would never go with one.
First of all, there is one in every family(I like to be unique). You will blend in perfectly with one.
There is no fun in driving, for me that is one of the main reason on going with the CX5. I don't like boring, maybe you do.
I care for electronic gadgets a lot, but that it wouldn't be a big factor when I buy a car, maybe for my home theater system.
I can change the stereo/speakers for a much better one, so no biggie there. Factory stuff will always be just a factory system, unless you go with some $10k audio upgrade.
Those lane departure assist and such systems, may sound great now, but after a couple of weeks, you won't care about them. They may become annoying features when they start beeping.
It's your choice.
For me, the most important is the look of the vehicle, the fun factor, build quality(I'm used to European cars), uniqueness, some electronic features, value for the money and lastly is the reliability and resale value. I'm willing to lose some for the fun factor.

Back