Which 2024 CX-5 Trim level to buy today?

:
Miata and CX-5
Hello Mazda boys and girls
smile.gif

For the past 8 years my family has enjoyed owning and driving CX-5' including 2016 GT, a 2019 GT, a 2021 GT and a 2021 GT Premium Package. Today I am trading in the 2021 GT and will buy either a Select, Preferred, or Premium.
The price difference is approximately $0 for the Select, +1,300 for the Preferred, $4,700 for the Premium.
The 17" vs 19" wheel size or electric tailgate hatch or leather vs leatherette seating or Bose audio does not matter to me. However the digital tachometer (Premium) vs old school tachometer (Preferred and Select) does matter a bit, though I am not sure that feature alone is worth to me $4,700.
For my future reference, on sale or trade-in do the higher trim levels hold their value better than the Select? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

if you are thinking of trade-in value down the road do not buy a mazda..I was shocked when I found out how fast my 23 cx5 turbo dropped in value compared to the 2016 honda crv it replaced. if i would have done my due diligence I would have stayed with honda. initial price are about the same but mazda drops fast. that said get the most well equipped car you are comfortable with spending the money on.

you can check KBB or any other type care value guide just check numbers for the different levels on say a 2 year old car and compare those numbers to the original msrp to get an idea of how they compare. also add a honda or toyota and do the same.

if you are thinking of trade-in value down the road do not buy a mazda..I was shocked when I found out how fast my 23 cx5 turbo dropped in value compared to the 2016 honda crv it replaced. if i would have done my due diligence I would have stayed with honda. initial price are about the same but mazda drops fast. that said get the most well equipped car you are comfortable with spending the money on.

you can check KBB or any other type care value guide just check numbers for the different levels on say a 2 year old car and compare those numbers to the original msrp to get an idea of how they compare. also add a honda or toyota and do the same.
Thanks for your reply, but I am specifically interested in whether the $4,700 extra for Premium trim level holds its value. In other words, 2 or 3 years from now will a pre-owned Premium be worth $3 or $4 thousand more than a Select?
I have traded-in three different GT CX-5's and found the $4K to $7K annual dollar depreciation acceptable. I guess other brands hold their value better, but don't really know because I buy and drive Mazda vehicles.
I test drove a Honda CR-V and much preferred the suspension, handling of the CX-5.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, but I am specifically interested in whether the $4,700 extra for Premium trim level holds its value. In other words, 2 or 3 years from now will a pre-owned Premium be worth $3 or $4 thousand more than a Select?
I have traded-in three different GT CX-5's and found the $4K to $7K annual dollar depreciation acceptable. I guess other brands hold their value better, but don't really know because I buy and drive Mazda vehicles.
I test drove a Honda CR-V and much preferred the suspension, handling of the CX-5.
just plugging in for a 2021 top of the line that had an msrp of 38,730 in very good condition with 36000 miles it would have a trad-in of 25,700. a base model with same very good condition and 36000 miles msrp was 26,595 and trade is now 19,712 so looks base is going to retain more of its value ie 74% vs 66% so no you won't get your money back on a higher equipped model if that trend continues which it usually does

I read a nice line of thinking yesterday. After making a big purchase on a house or car, don’t research anymore as you’ll only be disappointed. Case in point, I got my ‘23 T a few months ago and the finance incentive was 3.9% for 60 months. I saw Mazda is now offering 0% on ‘24 models, big oof!

Maybe lease the trim that makes you happiest. Digital dash and Bose are not worth the extra price alone. I got the base Turbo trim simply because I wanted the turbo. Everything else that came with it was just a nice perk (the kids love the heated rear seats).

simple answer is no. Value plummets a lot irrespective which addons/trims you got.
Plus nobody knows what the future would be.
Get what you like.
Last 2 years value were skewed by the big inflation and shortages jump.

Your 2016 benefited from rising prices while the '23 was just driven off the lot.

The same thing happened to me. After my negotiated trade in, I paid little to lease my 2020 for 3 years.

Your 2016 benefited from rising prices while the '23 was just driven off the lot.

The same thing happened to me. After my negotiated trade in, I paid little to lease my 2020 for 3 years.
take the same top of the line 2016 mazda cx5 with similar msrp to the 2016 crv..mazda does not hold the value like honda or toyota. seems odd but compare them at any year and it is the same. for some reason Mazda drops faster than Honda. for some people that is no big deal.

Yeah, it's true. I just wanted to point out that using the 2023 as a data point may not be the best comparison.

I think there's really no good reason why this should be, either. The quality and reliability are there. I think it's all driven by consumer perception and demand. That is improving, but Toyota and Honda are huge and are automatic household names for many.

I would take the value hit if it meant being able to drive a Mazda over a Honda or Toyota.

We've owned both Honda and Toyota and there's no way I would take either over my Mazda.

What else does the Premium have that the other 2 trims levels don't?

I would take the value hit if it meant being able to drive a Mazda over a Honda or Toyota.

We've owned both Honda and Toyota and there's no way I would take either over my Mazda.

What else does the Premium have that the other 2 trims levels don't?
yeah you would read the same in toyots forums or every other brand. at the end its just a tool, we get what we like.

Was this a lease? How do you feel losing quite a few features?
No lease. I wrote a check for $11,000.
For me the higher trim levels were not especially relevant:
For example my 2016 CX-5 GT had 17" wheels so I knew I liked that wheel size just fine.
The moon roof on my previous CX-5 GT's I never used.
The electric cargo lift gate might be a safety issue for my Corgi dogs, so I am o.k. with a manual lift gate (like I had with my first CX-5, a 2016 model).
The one feature I might possibly end up missing, as I wrote in my OP, is the digital tachometer.

That is improving, but Toyota and Honda are huge and are automatic household names for many.
Last time I looked (approximately 5 years ago) within the USA Toyota and Honda each had about a 15% market share while Mazda had about a 3% market share.
I am not sure why Mazda has 5X less market share because when I test drove a Honda CR-V and a Toyota Rav 4 versus a Mazda CX-5, for me the CX-5 looked better exterior and interior and driving pleasure-handling was much, much better.

I guess people have better experience overall with other Japanese brands.
Plus both Honda and Toyota ride better.. most folks dont care about zoom zoom or feeling every crack in the road surface, plus probably better dealer networks.
Mazda also has its own identity crisis since parting with Ford. Tries to be luxury but is not yet there...if ever will.
Most folks have not even heard of Mazda... I get questions at the auto wash what brand is the car :) Go figure. While Toyota and Honda are well known and know their spot. If you want luxury there is Lexus and Accura.

I guess people have better experience overall with other Japanese brands.
Plus both Honda and Toyota ride better.. most folks dont care about zoom zoom or feeling every crack in the road surface, plus probably better dealer networks.
Mazda also has its own identity crisis since parting with Ford. Tries to be luxury but is not yet there...if ever will.
Most folks have not even heard of Mazda... I get questions at the auto wash what brand is the car :) Go figure. While Toyota and Honda are well known and know their spot. If you want luxury there is Lexus and Accura.
I owned and drove a 1984 manual transmission Toyota Supra (fun-to-drive sports car) and 25 years ago enjoyed driving my wife's Honda Civic.
8 years ago, before buying my first CX-5, I did test drive the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4. For me the drive handling of both models was too soft, sluggish.

As far as resale value goes it depends on the trim. I would say jadmt is correct regarding KBB Values of the top trims; comparing the most expensive trim of each 2021 model with 20K miles, standard equipment, and excellent condition, KBB values are almost the same even though the CX-5 Sig starts 4K higher. But if you compare base trims of the same 2021 model year, both 20K miles and excellent condition, original MSRPs are within $20 and the CX-5 is actually worth about $700 more (according to KBB).

KBB "trade-in" values (which are low by design) are one thing and actual private party selling prices are another. "KBB values" of my car are thousands less than I can sell it for private party on Autotrader.

Currently, you can't find a 2019 AWD, clean title, with 30,000 miles or less, nationwide for less than $22,000 currently (1 example in the country). The rest are at $23,000 and up. Not bad for a 5 year old CUV. I'm very happy with my resale value considering I spent less than $26,000 new in 2019 ($25,803 with the $450 factory hitch installed) and I feel it looks much better and has a nicer interior than the same MY CR-V or Rav4. Now the entry price is $30,675 which is par for the course.

Last edited:
Also worth noting numerous auto critics have stated the CX-5 drives better than either the RAV4 or CR-V.

Your experience with the car matters along with the resale value.

Also worth noting numerous auto critics have stated the CX-5 drives better than either the RAV4 or CR-V.

Your experience with the car matters along with the resale value.
yet a few years later motortrend had the cx5 mid pack. bottom line is a person needs to get which ever makes them happy. I know I am glad I went with a turbo or I would not be nearly as happy.

Back