Which 2024 CX-5 Trim level to buy today?

Motor Trend has always been a publication where ad dollars buy good reviews. Nissan Rogue 1st? Are you kidding. Look at the reasons they dinged the CX-5:

"
  • Cozy second row (nearly the exact same size as the others)
  • No touchscreen (who cares)
  • Poor driver aids (not correct)
"

Versus the "Number 1" Nissan Rogue with worse resale and a Nissan CVT. (Nissan CVTs have a proven track record of being much less reliable than Toyota's CVTs).

"
  • Priciest in the test
  • Laggy infotainment
  • CVT takes a bit to respond
"

Is engine response important?

Of course, they don't even really mention the fact that it uses a rough revving, worse sounding, and more complicated 3-cylinder engine in their "review" because it's not real automotive journalism.

My CX-5 has AEB which perform well in Euro NCAP test, see here:

It also has blind spot assist radar included.

And over the last 5 years of driving it, the radar cruise control and lane keep assist camera both work great day or night.

Motor Trend is low effort, low quality advertorial.

"With a 1.5-liter three-cylinder turbo engine, the 2023 Nissan Rogue Platinum is down one cylinder on every other SUV here. Even so, the new engine means the popular SUV has more power while simultaneously sipping less fuel, and its sophisticated styling and comfortable cabin are major plusses."

Last edited:
IMO Nissan only makes one good-looking vehicle, the GTR. Everything else is blah.

Mazda doesn't really make any ugly vehicles.

IMO Nissan only makes one good-looking vehicle, the GTR. Everything else is blah.

Mazda doesn't really make any ugly vehicles.
I would argue the cx5 is kind of ugly at least from behind...for some reason the longer I own it the worse it looks to me. just looks like an old person's car to me and i am 65 ;).
IMG_5024.jpg

Getting rid of the ridiculous wheel gap that doesn't belong on the car helps. But yeah I think a refresh could be interesting, though I won't get the first model year. I'm planning to wait for the mid-cycle refresh. Right now I have the best version of the best CUV in its class so I'm going to try to hold onto that.

Back