2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Our CX-5 has been with the Mazda dealer's body shop since the day after I dropped it off at the dealer on July 17th (today is day 36). As I mentioned previously, the first two weeks were wasted while the body shop and Mazda negotiated a price for the repaint.

The Mazda representatives text messages ("Lexi" from Mazda never talked to us, she may be a computer program) were very clear. Only the effected panels will be painted. On our car that is everything but the back door and rear bumper panel. The paint will be "blended in" on those two panels. So I guess, technically, my entire car is being repainted! (and yes, I'm not amused by the foolishness of this).

When I objected, again by text message I was informed I could have the effected panels painted, or I could pick up my car from the dealer.

As to the loaner they put you in, insist on at least the same trim level as your CX-5. Our current loaner is a Sport model. No tinted windows during the summer has the A/C working overtime, and the sound system is not very good.

What a nightmare.

Look at it this way.

You're paint job is liable to be more durable than anyone else's.

When you say that other car s "on week 5," does that mean it's been in the shop for 5 weeks???

That's exactly what the dealer said, so I assume so. I did ask why it's going to take so long, he said it's because they'll be pulling off all the body panels for the repaint. Perhaps because mine is the second car they're repainting, maybe they will be able to do subsequent vehicles quicker.

That's exactly what the dealer said, so I assume so. I did ask why it's going to take so long, he said it's because they'll be pulling off all the body panels for the repaint. Perhaps because mine is the second car they're repainting, maybe they will be able to do subsequent vehicles quicker.

What they'll no doubt do is remove all of the trim items as well as lights and black plastic cladding. That's the way a quality shop will do it (rather than masking) in order to get a superior result. That's why it takes a while. 3-4 weeks? Maybe not that long!

A supervisor eventually came on the line and said that the repaint process would include an additional layer of topcoat, she also acknowledged that Mazda was having weekly meetings to discuss the issues with the paint and they would take care of the issue.

I just noticed that statement.

Do you know what she meant by that? Do you think Mazda working on this as a global problem?

I have been ready to pull the trigger on a CX-5 and this paint issue has me stuck. If I thought they were going to fix it, I'll hold off until the 2019s come out.

SweetPete - good luck on the repaint!

BaseballGrassGy, we too spoke to a Lexi. We were told she was the person handling all of the paint cases. It was a frustrating phone call. She didn't seem to listen to what we were saying and literally talked over the top of us. She said that Mazda would take care of it, but when we tried to ask questions about the warranty she made the comments "there are never lifetime warranties". She went into great detail about how Mazda would not cover door dings, etc. (we're not asking them to). Our concern is that they are only willing to paint basically the front half of our car because that was what was showing chips only 2 months and 2500 miles into it. It only seems logical to us that the rest of the car will eventually show additional damage especially since we haven't been through a Minnesota winter which involves a lot of sand and salt on the streets that get kicked up on the sides of the car. Her answer was that they have found most of the wear to happen in the first year or so. It was a weird call.

The other hard part is that nobody from Mazda seems interested in following up with us. We are doing all of the calling trying to get answers. Just to get to talk to Lexi, we had to call the customer service rep supervisor, schedule a time, then at the time of the appointment we had to call the supervisor back and she transferred us to Lexi.

Avoidin' Deer - I don't know what to say about what she meant. She just said that they were meeting weekly on the paint issues. As far as getting one now or waiting, all I can say is we have a 2018 and we have paint issues.

SweetPete - good luck on the repaint!

BaseballGrassGy, we too spoke to a Lexi. We were told she was the person handling all of the paint cases. It was a frustrating phone call. She didn't seem to listen to what we were saying and literally talked over the top of us. She said that Mazda would take care of it, but when we tried to ask questions about the warranty she made the comments "there are never lifetime warranties". She went into great detail about how Mazda would not cover door dings, etc. (we're not asking them to). Our concern is that they are only willing to paint basically the front half of our car because that was what was showing chips only 2 months and 2500 miles into it. It only seems logical to us that the rest of the car will eventually show additional damage especially since we haven't been through a Minnesota winter which involves a lot of sand and salt on the streets that get kicked up on the sides of the car. Her answer was that they have found most of the wear to happen in the first year or so. It was a weird call.

The other hard part is that nobody from Mazda seems interested in following up with us. We are doing all of the calling trying to get answers. Just to get to talk to Lexi, we had to call the customer service rep supervisor, schedule a time, then at the time of the appointment we had to call the supervisor back and she transferred us to Lexi.

Avoidin' Deer - I don't know what to say about what she meant. She just said that they were meeting weekly on the paint issues. As far as getting one now or waiting, all I can say is we have a 2018 and we have paint issues.

Lexi was the rep communicating with us as well -- so it now makes sense that she's the primary contact regarding paint issues. She was super responsive for the first week or so and communicated with my local dealer for pictures. I sent her a couple follow-ups shortly after and she didn't get back to me for about 10 days -- after I'd already scheduled the appointment and dropped it off at my dealer. She apologized, but I was like whatever...you've served your purpose. My dealer has had our car for almost 2 weeks. They've not been good about updates other than to tell me it'll be a "few more days" each time I call. The last time we talked was Monday, and they said it should be done by Friday (tomorrow). Guess we'll see if I get a call...I'm not holding my breath :)

By the way, I also confirmed they'll only be repainting panels that show visible chips and then "blending" with adjacent panels. Better than just the hood (which is originally what they wanted to do), but obviously not the full repaint I think we all deserve.

It makes me angry to hear of people going through this stuff with brand new vehicles. I would be beside myself.

For those of us on the fence, we can assume there will be no formal announcement that changes have been made to remediate this problem at the factory, because doing so would imply a formal admission that a problem existed in the first place. And it doesn't sound like there will be ownership of this being a universal issue...just inferences and rumors that no one has had a bad experience recently.

Today (8/23) is Day 38. No word on the status of our car.

"Beside myself" does not begin to address my resentment towards Mazda. Anyone that reads through 30 pages of this message thread and is still considering buying a Mazda is not paying attention...

Trust me, you don*t want a partly painted Soul Red crystal car. It*s difficult to match and it will look like a patchwork quilt.

I too have been conversing with Lexi, but only via email. On another note, 2 ideas that don't seem to have been brought up yet are (1) alerting as many paper and online automobile magazines/blogs about Mazda's paint problem and (2) "class action". Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Other than the red, what other colors on the '17-18 CX5 are giving people trouble?
Curious if the Machine Grey folks have issues?

Otherwise pretty sure the other colors are fine as they don't have the same paint process as SRC.

I too have been conversing with Lexi, but only via email. On another note, 2 ideas that don't seem to have been brought up yet are (1) alerting as many paper and online automobile magazines/blogs about Mazda's paint problem and (2) "class action". Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Both excellent ideas. Is there a lawyer in the house?

It makes me angry to hear of people going through this stuff with brand new vehicles. I would be beside myself.

For those of us on the fence, we can assume there will be no formal announcement that changes have been made to remediate this problem at the factory, because doing so would imply a formal admission that a problem existed in the first place. And it doesn't sound like there will be ownership of this being a universal issue...just inferences and rumors that no one has had a bad experience recently.

I'm about to pull the trigger in the next few days but reading these last few pages keeps me away from doing so at the moment!(uhm)

Curious if the Machine Grey folks have issues?

Some Machine Grey folks have said they are having this issue, but as we all know, the prevalence depends on the number of each color sold. And others with "normal colors" (such as black) have said that their Mazda paint has chipped way more than other cars they have owned driving the exact same roads, but those have been over time, not "dozens in months."

I'm about to pull the trigger in the next few days but reading these last few pages keeps me away from doing so at the moment!(uhm)

Same here. I have a good price at a local dealer, and have spoken with a detailing guy across the street from them to immediately install film and possibly protective coating. But I hesitate....which is fine. It's not as though we're buying a pair of shoes.

Edit to ramble: When I started this journey, I was looking at used Hondas and Toyotas. Their high resale prices caused me to look at buying new. I almost bought a new Honda CR-V and my brother (a mechanic) said "Those 1.5L turbo engines are new technology. You sure you want to do that?" So I started researching. I found out that those engines and the Honda 2.4L in prior year Civics have significant issues with oil dilution...gas getting into the crankcase and diluting the oil. This has been an issue in some Direct Inject engines, is more common in turbos, and seems to be a larger issue in Hondas (which could be due to sheer numbers sold).

Honda's response to that issue has been no better than some of Mazda's responses to this red paint. Honda says "It won't hurt the engine. Cut your oil change interval to half the recommended mileage." There are the same horror stories on Honda forums of dealers blowing off owners whose drained oil looks like black water...and it only got noticed by those who do their own changes. Had I not researched, I would already have bought one of those and not looked at the Mazdas (and wondered why my dipstick always shows 1/2 quart over-filled and the passenger cabin smells of gas).

So no matter what you look at, it seems that there are issues...some are way more significant than others. As others have pointed out, if you think you can trust American, look at GM's ignition switch issues.

Heck, if you research these Direct Inject engines in general, you'll scramble for ways to afford a Port Inject or the hybrid Dual Inject...which are more expensive and more complicated. And all of THAT is driven by Federal CAFE standards.

Last edited:
Some Machine Grey folks have said they are having this issue, but as we all know, the prevalence depends on the number of each color sold. And others with "normal colors" (such as black) have said that their Mazda paint has chipped way more than other cars they have owned driving the exact same roads, but those have been over time, not "dozens in months."
Precisely. My black is in pretty bad shape on my hood, but that's after 5 1/2 years.

Same here. I have a good price at a local dealer, and have spoken with a detailing guy across the street from them to immediately install film and possibly protective coating. But I hesitate....which is fine. It's not as though we're buying a pair of shoes.

Yeah, but I might actually go for the white instead. White seems to be the safest option for now

Yeah, but I might actually go for the white instead. White seems to be the safest option for now

Actually, the safest option is the silver. I would also recommend getting a clear coat put on the car - no matter what the color.

Back