2018 CX-5 Auto - Errors Nightmare, MRCC, SCBC and more...

Maryan

2019 Mazda CX-5 2.2d Sport Nav+ Auto
:
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm new here so please be gentle
smile.gif

My Mazda gone literally crazy. It started from Engine System Malfunction some time ago and then everything else was started adding up day by day.
Of course car was washed and all windscreen sensors and front logo one are clean.
So at the moment I have problems like those listed below divided on errors and behaviours.

ERRORS:
  • Engine System Malfunction
  • Brake override sys.malfunction
  • MRCC Malfunction (Mazda Radar Cruise Control)
  • Parking brake system malfunction
  • SCBS Malfunction (Smart City Brake Support)
  • SBS Malfunction (Smart City brake)
BEHAVIOURS:
  • Gears are not changing properly too long stays on the gear
  • front wiper won’t turn off if it is in auto mode and no rain (should switch off automatically)
  • when I park and leave the engine on I hear a clicking noise like a relay and the Start LED is blinking while I the click occurs. The same is when the engine is off but the dashboard is on.
  • when parking the distance beep indication is not working
What I noticed is that most of those problems are strictly related to all the sensors that are located behind the mirror on the windshield or behind the front Mazda logo and if they are not working probably automatically ESM (Engine System Malfunction) is thrown on the dashboard too, so:
  • SBS Malfunction (Smart City brake)
  • SCBS Malfunction (Smart City Brake Support)
  • Parking brake system malfunction
  • MRCC Malfunction (Mazda Radar Cruise Control)
  • Brake override sys.malfunction
All of those are strictly related as one relay on each other if algorithm have invalid data all other sensors thrown an errors. But what to check and how to diagnose which sensor could potentially develop a fault?
I have left it with mechanic but all he did was to reset all the errors and switching off the cruise control, and I must admit he did a brilliant job as entire dashboard was clean
smile.gif
Until...
Until I've switched Cruise Control, after I did it all the errors are back on the dashboard.

Here is a video of this clicking noise:
Noise when Engine is ON:
Noise when Engine is OFF

And here are some pictures:
IMG_0166.JPGIMG_0194.JPGIMG_0197.JPGIMG_0199.JPG

When the Cruise Control is switched OFF after restarting the engine only this ESM error stays as need reset probably.
IMG_0165.JPG

Hope I can get some help from you guys as I'm literally going crazy about this car. We had a classic "Engine Oil is Too High" error now is gone as we started to do more motorways miles but now this... I'm slowly starting to dislike Mazda and treating as "reliable car"
frown.gif

Thanks so much for your time guys...

Last edited:
Could you please upload your videos to youtube and link them back here? Thanks.

I'm sorry the links has been updated and are working now, my bad.

Honestly best advice would be to get a code reader to see what the engine malfunctions was or is. Especially since this was the first symptom to show up.

Also I have seen a lot of the other symptoms you have show up for low brake fluid or when the brake pads get really worn. When was your last brake service?

I'm literally going crazy about this car. We had a classic "Engine Oil is Too High" error now is gone as we started to do more motorways miles but now this... I'm slowly starting to dislike Mazda and treating as "reliable car"
frown.gif
Based on the video showing the right hand drive I believe you’re in UK; and based on “Engine Oil is Too High” error I believe you have a 2.2L diesel. A 2018 CX-5 with 85,837 (British) miles your 2.2L diesel could cause some problems although your errors look like all sensor related especially from adaptive cruise control. I assume you have cleaned windshield sensor area and the front Mazda emblem. How old is your car battery?

Also I have seen a lot of the other symptoms you have show up for low brake fluid or when the brake pads get really worn. When was your last brake service?
Thanks for your answer. The rear ones were just changed a week ago, and the front ones were changed on 1st October 2023 (Brand new Brembo Discs and Brakes were fitted). I've checked the thickness now, and they are pretty thin, so I've ordered new ones, as my wife alerted me that they can be heard :) Could this have any impact on those errors?

Honestly best advice would be to get a code reader to see what the engine malfunctions was or is. Especially since this was the first symptom to show up.
Do you know any good but not expensive tool that will be able to read all the sensors faults and delete them if needed? I would be really grateful as I'm looking for one and I have no idea which one should I buy:(

Based on the video showing the right hand drive I believe you’re in UK; and based on “Engine Oil is Too High” error I believe you have a 2.2L diesel. A 2018 CX-5 with 85,837 (British) miles your 2.2L diesel could cause some problems although your errors look like all sensor related especially from adaptive cruise control. I assume you have cleaned windshield sensor area and the front Mazda emblem. How old is your car battery?
Yes, you're correct about everything. I'm in the UK, and the engine is 2.2L :D But this oil problem has been gone now for over a year. Frequent oil changes and longer trips did the job.

As I mentioned at the beginning, all sensors are clean because I know they throw errors when they're dirty.

When it comes to the battery, I guess it was never changed. We purchased the car in 2022, so we've had it for 2 years now. It was 3 years old when we purchased it, so I guess no one changed the battery. Could the battery be a problem?

This Mazda is actually from 2019. The British registration plate shows 68, which means the end of 2018, but everywhere else the year comes up as 2019. I don't know why.

Last edited:
⋯ Yes, you're correct about everything. I'm in the UK, and the engine is 2.2L :D But this oil problem has been gone now for over a year. Frequent oil changes and longer trips did the job.
Since you have a 2.2L diesel, my advice to you is to have a plan not to hang on it too long. Search any Mazda forums and you’ll find the dreaded overheating (without any warnings) and broken oil pump chain problems which will cost you an arm and a leg to fix. In fact Mazda has stopped selling the 2.2L diesel to certain countries such as Taiwan few years ago since the government forced Mazda there offering lifetime replacement warranty to all 2.2L diesels sold there.

When it comes to the battery, I guess it was never changed. We purchased the car in 2022, so we've had it for 2 years now. It was 3 years old when we purchased it, so I guess no one changed the battery. Could the battery be a problem?
A weak battery sometimes will cause all kind of weird problems with warning messages. At least check the voltage of the battery to verify if it still hold enough voltage. Unfortunately you should have i-stop, and your 2.2L diesel will need a special Q-85 battery which is very expensive if you need a new battery.

I'm sorry the links has been updated and are working now, my bad.

As I said before, please upload your videos to YouTube and post the YouTube links here. Your current links point to downloads, and for the security of our members we would prefer that you use YouTube instead. I have removed your links again - please upload them to YouTube instead. Thanks.

As I said before, please upload your videos to YouTube and post the YouTube links here. Your current links point to downloads, and for the security of our members we would prefer that you use YouTube instead. I have removed your links again - please upload them to YouTube instead. Thanks.
Security? They do not point's towards any downloads they point towards OneDrive Player (Microsoft) I've noticed that hey have been removed twice so, maybe it will be worth to add Microsoft One Drive domain as a secure one? I have shortened the links and now after 15 min they are still working so hope they'll stay that way. If not I will upload the videos to YT.

Last edited:
Since you have a 2.2L diesel, my advice to you is to have a plan not to hang on it too long. Search any Mazda forums and you’ll find the dreaded overheating (without any warnings) and broken oil pump chain problems which will cost you an arm and a leg to fix. In fact Mazda has stopped selling the 2.2L diesel to certain countries such as Taiwan few years ago since the government forced Mazda there offering lifetime replacement warranty to all 2.2L diesels sold there.

A weak battery sometimes will cause all kind of weird problems with warning messages. At least check the voltage of the battery to verify if it still hold enough voltage. Unfortunately you should have i-stop, and your 2.2L diesel will need a special Q-85 battery which is very expensive if you need a new battery.
Thanks, yes I've seen that people have a lot of problems with those engines and it was explained that every diesel has is but we had BMW 5 Series F11 and we never noticed any problems like this even if the driving style was identical. But I believe that if something will happen with the engine that is common problem then Mazda could be blamed hence this engine is their serious failure?

Regarding the battery I will try to charge the battery first, and change the brake pads to see if the problem persist. Would you advice any OBD 2 device that allows code deletion and all sensors check-up?

update:
I came across ForScan website and their diagnostic tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and this is probably all I need for Mazda, did anyone of you guys used it before? I'm Polish nationality and in Poland everyone is using it for Mazda and Ford, no other cars supported but it looks as for Mazda this tool can do pretty everything I need.

Thanks guys...

Last edited:
The rear ones were just changed a week ago, and the front ones were changed on 1st October 2023 (Brand new Brembo Discs and Brakes were fitted). I've checked the thickness now, and they are pretty thin, so I've ordered new ones, as my wife alerted me that they can be heard :) Could this have any impact on those errors?

Brakes pads should last longer than that, so probably not the issue. Low brake fluid level can make all the smart braking and brake light errors you have. Check the fluid level. But it does not cause the check engine light to turn on or the wipers to work on their own.

It is possible you have multiple issues. You could try a recalibration of the windshield camera as well (like they do when they replace a broken windshield)

Thanks, yes I've seen that people have a lot of problems with those engines and it was explained that every diesel has is but we had BMW 5 Series F11 and we never noticed any problems like this even if the driving style was identical. But I believe that if something will happen with the engine that is common problem then Mazda could be blamed hence this engine is their serious failure?

Regarding the battery I will try to charge the battery first, and change the brake pads to see if the problem persist. Would you advice any OBD 2 device that allows code deletion and all sensors check-up?

update:
I came across ForScan website and their diagnostic tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and this is probably all I need for Mazda, did anyone of you guys used it before? I'm Polish nationality and in Poland everyone is using it for Mazda and Ford, no other cars supported but it looks as for Mazda this tool can do pretty everything I need.

Thanks guys...
Here:

⋯ Just an FYI that, if you have a Windows laptop, you can get the Forscan live data tool up and running on it for as little as $20. Forscan currently offers a free download of their software for Windows, and you can buy an inexpensive OBD adapter to read TFT (and a whole lot more as well). The Forscan doc states that they no longer support the lower-priced adapters, however they still work just fine for the simple stuff. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to get TFT the way the manual says to do it. But as always, your vehicle your choice.
I'm frankly amazed that they're giving away such advanced functionality, and suspect that will end someday soon. So IMO it would be a good idea to copy the downloaded installation file to whatever storage media you like to use. I have a couple of copies of that file squirrelled away, just in case.

And:

Mazda specific OBD2 reader recommendations?

Brakes pads should last longer than that, so probably not the issue. Low brake fluid level can make all the smart braking and brake light errors you have. Check the fluid level. But it does not cause the check engine light to turn on or the wipers to work on their own.

It is possible you have multiple issues. You could try a recalibration of the windshield camera as well (like they do when they replace a broken windshield)
Thanks, I've just check the brake fluid level and is just 10mm below max.

purchased already the vLinker cable for FORScan software, so next week I'll check everything properly and post some updates.

Regarding battery just checked the voltage after 5 min drive test and it shows 12.3V so I believe this is a bit too low. I will charge it overnight and see if there is any difference. Other than that I need to wait for the scanner.

May have nothing to do with it but I've heard that clicking once in a while from our 2018 CX5 and it was coming from the ventilation system. Turn off the AC/heat and see if it goes away.

May have nothing to do with it but I've heard that clicking once in a while from our 2018 CX5 and it was coming from the ventilation system. Turn off the AC/heat and see if it goes away.
Thanks, I've just checked the clicking noise and it's gone when the cruise control is OFF same as the other errors are gone, just ESM warning (engine icon) is always shown.
When the Cruise Control is ON all the other errors are back but the clicking noise is gone.
I'm still awaiting the scanner, so I will make more tests when I get it.

Back