DSC/TS/SCBS/Forward Radar Sensor/Rear Blind Spot/Auto Headlight Malfunctions All On At Once (2018 CX-5)

Hi, I have a 2018 CX-5. Never had a single issue. I live in a cold weather climate and it has been dirty, in below zero weather, etc. Never an issue. I checked brake fluid, and it is in the middle of max/min. I cleaned the front emblem off and windshield looks clean to me.

Recently, I was driving and I pulled right and lost traction and then drove off, I briefly went sideways before righting the car. Nothing really all that significant. But whatever that did, it triggered 7-8 different malfunctions, all related to either automatic sensor systems. SCBC, forward sensor, auto headlights, rear blind spot, etc. I can't even use basic cruise control now since it is tied to the forward radar sensor. It seems to be SOMETHING triggered one fault and now they all went off and won't go away.

What is interesting is the whole system is screwed, and I am at a loss for which system would cause every system to be affected from DSC, to rear blind spot monitoring, to auto headlights, to front radar/camera for cruise control, etc.

Anyone have something similar? Anyone have ideas?

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited:
It's common for the dash to light up like the proverbial Christmas tree when the something causes the ECU to throw a code. Your job is to use a code reader to find out what caused the malfunction.

How's your battery age/health?
At my last car inspection/oil change 3 months ago (at a local car shop, not a Mazda shop) I asked about the battery since it is original and they said it was still in good working order. I have never had any issues starting it with any signs of low voltage. However, the age does concern me and I do wonder if this could be an old battery issue...

My guess, based on the information given, is there was already a higher load on the electrical system (such as headlights, HVAC blower, wipers, defroster, heated seats, etc). When you slid a bit, that activated the "stability system" utilizing the ABS (electric) system to brake certain wheels to help align your course. The ABS system pump spiked the voltage (low) on the car and this triggered an avalanche of false sensor readings to the various control units.

First, check the battery connections to make sure they're proper and not corroded. Look for loose grounds anywhere. Record and then reset your malfunction codes. A battery replacement is in your near future.

IMHO, all the sensors and systems on these modern cars are so very dependent on a stable electrical system. Instances like this that you experienced are the new "tell-tale" sign of a battery nearing the end of it's life rather than slow cranking or hard starting.

Let us know what you find.

Back