2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I agree with this 100% ...not particularly a fan of the 2019 Rav4 styling but it definitely would have been a major contender over our 2017 CX-5 if it were available at our time of purchase. This is based on our experience with our 1998 4Runner (200K miles with minimal expenses besides normal maintenance). Our 4Runner is the only vehicle we have that I would never sell.

20180616_104411.jpg

wrxray, they don't know about that 3rd gen life. Funny we both have a '17 CX-5 and the same generation 4Runner in our driveways.

Dropped ours off with Mazda today. The only snag was that the notes only indicated they were going to repaint the hood. I mentioned there were numerous chips on other areas of the front end, and that those had also been documented in photos at my original appointment. Guy agreed and assured me he'd reach out to his superior to make sure they've got permission to repaint every area with any chips. I'll probably call them tomorrow to check-in on that part of it.

They sent us away with a Grand Touring loaner, which is cool since we have a Touring. No navigation (odd -- must've just left the card out), but the leather seats, power passenger seat, and satellite radio are nice upgrades! I probably still wouldn't pay to move up to this trim from our Touring w/ Preferred, but I could see how some people would...

Dropped ours off with Mazda today. The only snag was that the notes only indicated they were going to repaint the hood. I mentioned there were numerous chips on other areas of the front end, and that those had also been documented in photos at my original appointment. Guy agreed and assured me he'd reach out to his superior to make sure they've got permission to repaint every area with any chips. I'll probably call them tomorrow to check-in on that part of it.

They sent us away with a Grand Touring loaner, which is cool since we have a Touring. No navigation (odd -- must've just left the card out), but the leather seats, power passenger seat, and satellite radio are nice upgrades! I probably still wouldn't pay to move up to this trim from our Touring w/ Preferred, but I could see how some people would...

I'm glad they're taking care of you. I'm still deciding on what to do regarding paint color (I'm in the process of making a purchase). As stupid as it sounds, in the face of all these issues with the SRCM paint, I still hear the siren call....

Does your loaner have the Heads Up Display? The CX-5 I test drove had it, and the HUD went from "Not Interested," zoomed right past "Want," and firmly planted itself in the "Need" column.

Does your loaner have the Heads Up Display? The CX-5 I test drove had it, and the HUD went from "Not Interested," zoomed right past "Want," and firmly planted itself in the "Need" column.

And when you've lived with it for awhile, you may also add "will never again have a car without it". It's that good.

Hope you get a great outcome

And when you've lived with it for awhile, you may also add "will never again have a car without it". It's that good.

You know, I'm nearly there already just from a single test drive.

And I did not even get to test the display of the Radar Cruise Control setting display (speed and distance) or the other sign recognition features (I understand it sets off alarms if you head towards "Do Not Enter" signs. Nothing like a car with a survival instinct!).

Just having the ability to make certain I know what the current speed limit is was enough to sell me. In my rural area, there are lots of places where you are traveling down a 55MPH road and the limit "steps down" as you come towards a town, or steps down in areas where folks enter from side streets...it's easy to miss the change. And it's nice to always know what the limit is when in unfamiliar areas.

The same goes for the "Exceeding Speed Limit warning." There have been a few times where I have set my cruise control in town because I just came off the 70MPH highway on a nice spring day with the tunes playing, and caught myself blasting through a neighborhood at 45 MPH. I've had friends tell me they use their cruise control in town (to avoid speeding) more than they do on the highway (where everyone just goes with traffic) for that very reason.

I'm curious as to how the system interprets a real speed limit sign that says "End Speed Limit." We have them here. Places so rural there is no speed limit, and they *ahem* trust our judgement.

I'm curious as to how the system interprets a real speed limit sign that says "End Speed Limit." We have them here. Places so rural there is no speed limit, and they *ahem* trust our judgement.

Here's your answer highlighted in red :)

zbfrq.jpg

Here's your answer highlighted in red :)

zbfrq.jpg

Here's what the online manual I found says (I have found 2 different versions of the manual on Mazda's website): "The TSR displays the speed limit (including auxiliary signs) , do not enter, and passing prohibited signs (windscreen type)."

I also thought this was interesting: "The TSR operates only if the navigation system SD card (Mazda genuine) is inserted in the SD card slot."

Here's what the online manual I found says (I have found 2 different versions of the manual on Mazda's website): "The TSR displays the speed limit (including auxiliary signs) , do not enter, and passing prohibited signs (windscreen type)."

I also thought this was interesting: "The TSR operates only if the navigation system SD card (Mazda genuine) is inserted in the SD card slot."

Camera + Nav

I'm glad they're taking care of you. I'm still deciding on what to do regarding paint color (I'm in the process of making a purchase). As stupid as it sounds, in the face of all these issues with the SRCM paint, I still hear the siren call....

Yup, it's got the HUD. My wife drove it all day, and when I mentioned the HUD she said, "What are you talking about? Guess I didn't notice." I then drove it for 10 minutes tonight and fell in love. So I guess it's a person by person thing :) But yeah, I personally find it very cool.

If you like HUD, you'll absolutely fall in love with the radar (adaptive) cruise control! For me, that's without a doubt the feature I could no longer live without after having it on this car for a few months. It's seriously amazing -- around town, in stop and go traffic, on the highway, etc. It really changes the way you drive.

Yup, it's got the HUD. My wife drove it all day, and when I mentioned the HUD she said, "What are you talking about? Guess I didn't notice." I then drove it for 10 minutes tonight and fell in love. So I guess it's a person by person thing :) But yeah, I personally find it very cool.

If you like HUD, you'll absolutely fall in love with the radar (adaptive) cruise control! For me, that's without a doubt the feature I could no longer live without after having it on this car for a few months. It's seriously amazing -- around town, in stop and go traffic, on the highway, etc. It really changes the way you drive.

Does your loaner HUD recognize traffic signs (like speed limit)? If so, it has the NAV card in it (look at the 2 comments immediately preceding yours). Traffic sign recognition does not work without the NAV card.

I have only been on one test drive. I'm going back Wednesday, and to swing by a couple of shops to talk pricing on protective film costs and any other paint protection they offer. I have not tried out the cruise control. Lots of stuff to test out on these things. These guys are fools if they don't put every customer in a car that has HUD for the test drive.

Does your loaner HUD recognize traffic signs (like speed limit)? If so, it has the NAV card in it (look at the 2 comments immediately preceding yours). Traffic sign recognition does not work without the NAV card.

I have only been on one test drive. I'm going back Wednesday, and to swing by a couple of shops to talk pricing on protective film costs and any other paint protection they offer. I have not tried out the cruise control. Lots of stuff to test out on these things. These guys are fools if they don't put every customer in a car that has HUD for the test drive.

Make a list of all the things you want to check and test :)

Make a list of all the things you want to check and test :)

Oh, yeah.
It's rather extensive.

But based on my initial drive and everything I've read and that you all have shared with me, I can't see buying anything else. Of all the silly things this car has me hung up on, it's the paint and the color.

Silver seems to be the safest choice, but I really, really dislike silver. Nearly every car on the road is silver. It would be like going to an expensive steak house and ordering a hot dog.

While I'm in town, I'm going to visit a couple of shops that paint and do film and talk to them to see what they offer. And I'm going to see what the dealer will tell me of their experiences with paint issues. The sales guy is a young guy would will likely be honest once we get away from the showroom and on the road.

I don't understand something here. I assume when the car is painted at the factory - and I assume because I've seen countless videos of cars being painted at the factory - that the entire car is painted at once i.e. the exact same gallon (or whatever) of paint is used for the entire vehicle. In light of this, how can Mazda say that only the hood is affected by the bad paint? I mean, the ENTIRE CAR RECEIVED BAD PAINT, RIGHT!?!?! Maybe other panels on the car aren't flaking right now, but they may in the future, right?

I got word just today from Mazda NA that my dealer will be calling me later this week to "fix" the paint. I have no idea if it's a partial or full repaint. I'm going to ask if whoever is doing the repaint, if my car is their first with this specific paint. If so, I'm going to delay the paint job and wait for someone else to be the painter's guinea pig and let them practice getting it right on someone else's car.

Crap - I get more and more pissed as I think about this whole fiasco.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah.
It's rather extensive.

But based on my initial drive and everything I've read and that you all have shared with me, I can't see buying anything else. Of all the silly things this car has me hung up on, it's the paint and the color.

Good about the list and (2thumbs) re no other choice

Silver seems to be the safest choice, but I really, really dislike silver. Nearly every car on the road is silver. It would be like going to an expensive steak house and ordering a hot dog.

AHEM! (rofl2)

I have a silver CX-5 and makes it look more expensive, atleast in my eyes and that is all that matters!

I likewise have not cared for silver or their new blue (Blue Reflex or Eternal Blue or whatever). To me those are the worst colors, but everyone is different. Different strokes, different folks.

I did like the Aluminum silver they had, but I think that was the 2013s. Have not cared for any since.

Back