Woes of the Soul Red Crystal Color - Touch up paint?

Have a 21 CX-5 Soul Crystal Red. Only 9K on it. Garaged and obviously not driven that much. Live in the NW so no sanded roads for 90% of the winter, no desert dust storms, few long road trips. Have a 4-5 small chips I was going to touch up and read threads on this. Seems like more chips given the miles than previous vehicles I owned or it could be that they are so noticeable as the undercoat is bright white so very easy to spot them! Was disappointed to discover the paint on this car isn't very durable it sounds like. Not sure if it's just the red or any color on the new Mazdas. I also understand this car they used a tinted clear coat which is part of the reason why the color looks so amazing.

It seems none of the touch up solutions apparently match perfectly (not uncommon with most cars) but particularly challenging on this color due to the tinted clear coat. I would imagine if you ever had to have body work done though, they paint it in two coats, just like the factory, the base color coat and the tinted clear coat otherwise a repainted panel would be way too obvious.

Is there not a touch up kit that contains the base coat and the tinted clear coat? If not, what's the verdict on the current best matching touch up paint source?

Have a 21 CX-5 Soul Crystal Red. Only 9K on it. Garaged and obviously not driven that much. Live in the NW so no sanded roads for 90% of the winter, no desert dust storms, few long road trips. Have a 4-5 small chips I was going to touch up and read threads on this. Seems like more chips given the miles than previous vehicles I owned or it could be that they are so noticeable as the undercoat is bright white so very easy to spot them! Was disappointed to discover the paint on this car isn't very durable it sounds like. Not sure if it's just the red or any color on the new Mazdas. I also understand this car they used a tinted clear coat which is part of the reason why the color looks so amazing.

It seems none of the touch up solutions apparently match perfectly (not uncommon with most cars) but particularly challenging on this color due to the tinted clear coat. I would imagine if you ever had to have body work done though, they paint it in two coats, just like the factory, the base color coat and the tinted clear coat otherwise a repainted panel would be way too obvious.

Is there not a touch up kit that contains the base coat and the tinted clear coat? If not, what's the verdict on the current best matching touch up paint source?
I believe Mazda has certified shops to handle the Soul Red paint others are not qualified to work on it and will be ugly. Googled it.

I believe Mazda has certified shops to handle the Soul Red paint others are not qualified to work on it and will be ugly. Googled it.
Makes sense. I'm wondering if there's a way I can order the paint but in small quantity just like the certified shops. The application is probably more problematic than that touch-up kit where you smear and then wipe off the excess. That apparently is the best touch up option and comes close probably to the point only I would notice as compared to the casual observer.

Makes sense. I'm wondering if there's a way I can order the paint but in small quantity just like the certified shops. The application is probably more problematic than that touch-up kit where you smear and then wipe off the excess. That apparently is the best touch up option and comes close probably to the point only I would notice as compared to the casual observer.
If small little chips then just use a touchup from dealership no need to spray the whole panel. PPF is another choice but should done it sooner.

If small little chips then just use a touchup from dealership no need to spray the whole panel. PPF is another choice but should done it sooner.
I've had PPF done before on more expensive cars. It's pricey these days. I actually ordered the PPF for the front hood on this CX-5 and screwed up during the install and just said f*ck it, I'll live with the chips. I bought a hood deflector that bolts on in about 5 minutes for road trips to cut down on the hood chips. It's too geeky looking for everyday driving though in my opinion. The front of the car and the lip before the hood edge doesn't appear to be chipping as that's plastic and the paint finish has a chemical added to make the finish flexible which appears to sort of mimic having PPF but of course not as resilient as the PPF. The PPF also tends to start to look bad after a couple 2 or 3 years depending on how much time the car is out in the sun. I really consider the PPF more mandatory for $50K+ luxury vehicles.

The DIY PPF is about $140 and includes the corners of the front quarter panels. It's actually not that hard, I was just in a hurry and wasn't careful. Compare that to like $600+ for a shop to install 3 pieces of plastic which probably takes them an hour at most. Once you have chips though, unless the touch up is perfectly level with the surrounding finish, PPF is no longer a good option.

I do my own detailing, have had years of research and practice on how to do a professional quality finish detail. But maybe I'll spring for paying someone to do a detail and have them do the touch up. But again, the touch up isn't rocket science. Just someone that does it all the time would probably do the best job.

Paintscratch.com has em.. Basecoat paint color, midcoat and the tinted clear coat as a kit.

I've had PPF done before on more expensive cars. It's pricey these days. I actually ordered the PPF for the front hood on this CX-5 and screwed up during the install and just said f*ck it, I'll live with the chips. I bought a hood deflector that bolts on in about 5 minutes for road trips to cut down on the hood chips. It's too geeky looking for everyday driving though in my opinion. The front of the car and the lip before the hood edge doesn't appear to be chipping as that's plastic and the paint finish has a chemical added to make the finish flexible which appears to sort of mimic having PPF but of course not as resilient as the PPF. The PPF also tends to start to look bad after a couple 2 or 3 years depending on how much time the car is out in the sun. I really consider the PPF more mandatory for $50K+ luxury vehicles.

The DIY PPF is about $140 and includes the corners of the front quarter panels. It's actually not that hard, I was just in a hurry and wasn't careful. Compare that to like $600+ for a shop to install 3 pieces of plastic which probably takes them an hour at most. Once you have chips though, unless the touch up is perfectly level with the surrounding finish, PPF is no longer a good option.

I do my own detailing, have had years of research and practice on how to do a professional quality finish detail. But maybe I'll spring for paying someone to do a detail and have them do the touch up. But again, the touch up isn't rocket science. Just someone that does it all the time would probably do the best job.

I would avoid Amazon or ebay ppf since most are likely non genuine 3M, Lamin x, etc…
Most likely should order only from authorized sellers but more expensive.

I'm not a paint guy. But with only minor chips would the nail polish in a close color work?
Our eyes surely wouldn't pick up that small an imperfection with just a slight color difference

Based on other threads it appears Dr. Colorchip is the best way to go. When you select the color on their website they warn you that because the Soul Red is a 3-coat paint (base, pearl, tinted clear) it won't match perfectly. This is not a color you want to have to have a body shop paint due to accident! I bet it's pricey! But insurance pays for it. The Snowflake Pear is also the tri-coat. All the others are just metallic and the touch up will match closer.

The film I got was genuine 3M for a seller on Ebay with a long impeccable selling history. I had the film laying over two garbage cans in my garage when I sprayed it and when I lifted it up to transfer it to the hood I touched the backing together in one area accidentally and it instantly bonded like glue together, end of story. Otherwise it would have been like a 30-45 minute job. I can hear the installers say, that's why you pay us the big bucks to do it. LOL.

Based on other threads it appears Dr. Colorchip is the best way to go. When you select the color on their website they warn you that because the Soul Red is a 3-coat paint (base, pearl, tinted clear) it won't match perfectly. This is not a color you want to have to have a body shop paint due to accident! I bet it's pricey! But insurance pays for it. The Snowflake Pear is also the tri-coat. All the others are just metallic and the touch up will match closer.

The film I got was genuine 3M for a seller on Ebay with a long impeccable selling history. I had the film laying over two garbage cans in my garage when I sprayed it and when I lifted it up to transfer it to the hood I touched the backing together in one area accidentally and it instantly bonded like glue together, end of story. Otherwise it would have been like a 30-45 minute job. I can hear the installers say, that's why you pay us the big bucks to do it. LOL.
Wow even Snowflake Pearl? I actually have a little chip but barley noticeable unless I really looked for it.

Btw do you have the seller link?

Back