need to replace clutch yet agian!!

im giving props to our stocker for holding those few days it did of 13-15 psi. But it isnt a god send or anything. The exedy not only feels great but can hold and maintain more than stock

Blake what all have you done to your blue beast?

BlAKECTX said:
im giving props to our stocker for holding those few days it did of 13-15 psi. But it isnt a god send or anything. The exedy not only feels great but can hold and maintain more than stock

I'm always amazed when I see these threads. Over 52,6xx miles on the stock clutch. No problems at all. What is the cost of a replacement OEM clutch set and the Exedy?

HorsepowerFreak said:
I would say that's a freak incident with his clutch. The figures would say otherwise to those clutches holding that kind of power. Know what I mean?

330... good lord.

You may be right. In the past I have had so many aftermarket clutch kit fail so quickly. So I may just be a prick about them. What has work the best for you? I tried the Spec, worked great in the Fords, some Mazdas and most Vipers. Tey do slip a little on the 650whp Vipers if you do not drive them for a few hunded miles.

JDM Sam said:
You will burn the stock clutch disc up faster if the pressure plate doesn't clamp the disc down. Clutch slipping occurs when the pressure plate can't clamp the disc down. This is addressed with the higher clamp load capacity of the pressure plate.

The disc is upgraded in conjuction with spring hubs to reduce drivetrain shock and impact compared to the stock rubber torsion dampers. On the MSP the disc has 6 while the regular protege has 4. The organic friction material on the Exedy disc is higher quality than the OEM specs and are more resistant to burst and slippage compared to OEM. You can see the difference in the material when compared to a stock MSP disc. Exedy's performance division ante's up the disc for performance and reliability.

You are wrong to assume this clutch will not hold and last as long as the stocker. The stocker will burn out faster if it is slipping due to the higher torque output of modified cars. This clutch exceed's the stock specs in everyway. I worked with Exedy to test and develop this clutch for the street. It is daily driveable and responsive when used for performance oriented driving for higher output cars.

With the Exedy everything is ENGINEERED to exceed the OEM clutch. Daiken clutch which makes the OEM clutch for the MSP and Reg Protege also makes Exedy. Daiken clutch supplies most of the Japanese manufacturers so you know they are up there with manufacturing quality, especially when other aftermarket brand clutches use their discs, ie. Spec, Act. Exedy also supplies new Japanese KOYO bearings which are also OEM. Nothing was compromised.

The driver is the variable that determines how long a clutch lasts. If the clutch doesnt hold it will burn up just as fast if someone really beats on their clutch, i.e. not rev matching, clutch slips, clutch riding, etc.

I do agree with most of this post. The exceeds the OEM is where I have a problem. Tell me that it will hold more and maybe you got me. But the OEM spec has to be more then holding, it need to not smell, smoke, vibrate during shifting and be smooth. So if you mean that it will exceed some of the OEM standards then you are right.
I do use the duel disc Exedy on the built STI that we do. They hold well and fell good for a big dog setup. You do get some rattle and it is a little harder to slip when you take off. Anyway of getting a duel disc made for our cars?

The bottom line os when you start making big power you can only do a few things. Go to a bigger flywheel OD, not going to happen. Or you add a extra disc.

go stock clutch. If there are people holding 300whp with it and others blowing at 200whp then its obviously the driver / break in. mines seen 14psi and it holds like new. the original LSD on the other hand..

I abused my stock clutch something fierce. The only time it ever slipped is the few weeks that I started in second at the track. That was after probably 150-200 quarter mile passes half of which were low 14's mid 13's. Put the Act in for a couple months and it slipped 10x worse than the stocker.
A Msp I did the work on up here is running low 14's at 103mph on the stock turbo and engine (Perrin intercooler, mpi, 3" exhaust, and a sri) on street tires. He hasn't had any problems with the stock clutch.

If I had done it over I would have stayed with the stock clutch and flywheel.

jeffmsp said:
go stock clutch. If there are people holding 300whp with it and others blowing at 200whp then its obviously the driver / break in. mines seen 14psi and it holds like new. the original LSD on the other hand..

So now you are saying that people cannot drive. Why start trouble?

BlkZoomZoom said:
I abused my stock clutch something fierce. The only time it ever slipped is the few weeks that I started in second at the track. That was after probably 150-200 quarter mile passes half of which were low 14's mid 13's. Put the Act in for a couple months and it slipped 10x worse than the stocker.
A Msp I did the work on up here is running low 14's at 103mph on the stock turbo and engine (Perrin intercooler, mpi, 3" exhaust, and a sri) on street tires. He hasn't had any problems with the stock clutch.

If I had done it over I would have stayed with the stock clutch and flywheel.

You drive like a pussy and make no power.(poke)

MPNick said:
I do agree with most of this post. The exceeds the OEM is where I have a problem. Tell me that it will hold more and maybe you got me. But the OEM spec has to be more then holding, it need to not smell, smoke, vibrate during shifting and be smooth. So if you mean that it will exceed some of the OEM standards then you are right.
I do use the duel disc Exedy on the built STI that we do. They hold well and fell good for a big dog setup. You do get some rattle and it is a little harder to slip when you take off. Anyway of getting a duel disc made for our cars?

The bottom line os when you start making big power you can only do a few things. Go to a bigger flywheel OD, not going to happen. Or you add a extra disc.

Clamp load capacity #s data and facts have been stated. Both clutches have been tested by Daikin Clutch/Exedy for torque capacity.
(deadhorse All oem features have been improved upon FRICTION MATERIAL, MARCEL SPRINGS, PRESSURE PLATE. Thanks for the round of ask and answered questions.

For the dual disc have money will travel.

JDM Sam said:
Clamp load capacity #s data and facts have been stated. Both clutches have been tested by Daikin Clutch/Exedy for torque capacity.
(deadhorse All oem features have been improved upon FRICTION MATERIAL, MARCEL SPRINGS, PRESSURE PLATE. Thanks for the round of ask and answered questions.

For the dual disc have money will travel.

Get me a price.(thumb)

So now you are saying that people cannot drive. Why start trouble?

never said that, i said the driver and the break in are the variables that determine the clutches life in most cases. is that not correct?

if some people are doing 150+ qm races with well over stock power levels and the other guy breaks it driving around town at stock boost then something seems a little off. Maybe the people blowing them at low boost are not driving correctly, or the people making power and/or going to the track have magic pixy dust on their pressure plate. either way mines fine and it nice to know it can potentially hold 330 (thumb)

Last edited:
MPNick said:
You drive like a pussy and make no power.(poke)

Hey, I'll have you know my Hemi Ram runs 15.98 according to the g-tech. Thats pretty good for a Quad cab with every option and 4-wheel drive.

Oh yeah... It's stock...hehe

jeffmsp said:
never said that, i said the driver and the break in are the variables that determine the clutches life in most cases. is that not correct?

if some people are doing 150+ qm races with well over stock power levels and the other guy breaks it driving around town at stock boost then something seems a little off. Maybe the people blowing them at low boost are not driving correctly, or the people making power and/or going to the track have magic pixy dust on their pressure plate. either way mines fine and it nice to know it can potentially hold 330 (thumb)

I have seen this so many times with the Vipers.. When we build a Viper for a customer, I get stuck driving it around for a few days(thumb), before we give it back to the customer. If I do not do it they will be back in about a year with a slipping clutch. Now if the stock clutch is in it I can let it go right away. Break in is very important with a clutch. If you glaze it you are done.

MPNick said:
I have seen this so many times with the Vipers.. When we build a Viper for a customer, I get stuck driving it around for a few days(thumb), before we give it back to the customer. If I do not do it they will be back in about a year with a slipping clutch. Now if the stock clutch is in it I can let it go right away. Break in is very important with a clutch. If you glaze it you are done.

[offtopic]
I hate how Vipers feel.... We (HorsepowerFreaks) had one as a shop car not long ago... I drove it across town and couldn't believe ppl buy those things. Just how you sit all kinda sideways ridiculous.

The service department works on Vipers all the time next door. They've got a couple of Hennessy models that are absolute jokes. They're getting rebuilt due to the awesome Hennessey work. :rolleyes:
[/offtopic]

Back