monster build - need input

:
03.5 msp titanium
ok, so im planning on big numbers. im ready to put into it and im ready to get everything this car is capable of

currently, my car is on blocks getting the motor removed. ive had the car for.. almost two years now and ive done a few modifications myself..

as is, im making 226whp with the following
fmic with 2.5" hardpipes
relocated turbo with custom made exhaust manifold
HUGE 3.2" downpipe with electric exhaust cutout
short ram intake
aem boost control/gauge in one
plugs/wires
split second air/fuel timing controller
maximum stiffness engine mounts

for me.. i think that last bit i put into the car was childsplay, but its a good starting point because i have all my gauges, fmic, and downpipe with cutout

now for the plans.. oh im excited
first off the engine is coming out and im going to get it honed, bored and ported and polished
wiseco 9.0:1 pistons
K1 rods
CS exhaust cam
adjustable cam gears
racing v/v springs
(complete engine overhaul kit already here)
universal oil cooler
electric boost control for more reliability over the AEM gauge
600cc injectors
fuel pump
T3/T4E Turbo

fidanza flywheel
ACT 6puck stage 3 clutch
full set of lightweight pulleys

i have ssaf/tc but im going to ditch that damn MAF and ss and probably going haltec

now. to my questions.. i want yall to be ultra critical..
i know a few things are left out like clutch lines and brakes and whatnot but for the most part these are my main buys. but i do have a few critical questions

since im getting new pistons im going to get the block bored, is there advantages of going .020 versus .040?

I dont have any problem with creating manifolds/downpipes/mounts or anything of the sort - i have all the capability and machines i would need to do it.. but i am stuck deciding exactly what i want to do, because i want it to be really unique

i see 3 options..
1- one large turbo. normal setup
2- two turbos, compounded, manifold into one turbo, then ex of that turbo into the intake of the next turbo
3- my most preferable option but i am stuck on whether or not its possible.. compound charging a turbo and supercharger.

i really want to explore this, and already have.. but am curious.. if i get a roots type blower, does it mount ontop of the valves? i dont understand where the damn thing sits in the engine for it to give the air charge, run oil, and be connected by the belts..

ANY input is considered helpful even if you say its not a good idea.

do any of my items in my build clash?
am i missing anything big? who has bought the new gears for the tranny? are the worth it?

I dont have any experience building an FS like this but if I were you I would just keep it simple.

I would suggest that you find a turbo that can flow enough cfm for your goals. find a set of injectors that are at ~80% when you are making your desired power. depending on what that is your may need a new fuel pump as well. spend some time doing a nice big external wastegate setup to minimize back pressure in the exhaust manifold. look into a dual feed fuel rail and find a way to minimize differences in flow to the cylinders in the intake manifold with either a custom manifold or possibly a 505zoom (havent heard about it being an issue with the 505 mani but stock there have been some bad stories) Then just make sure you intercooler is up to the job depending on your goal.

Im pretty sure you wouldnt be disappointed this way. Also keep in mind that if you build boost very rapidly the trans is bound to take more abuse compared to a smooth transition into boost with a larger sized turbo. Considering the stock trans is the weak link and the bill for a build msp trans is..well not for the weak at heart, you might not want to spend too much time thinking about compound turbo/supercharger as the power would be coming in very quick and hard. just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I enjoy your openmindedness. If i was in your shoes instead of getting gears i'd go with a transmit ion you know can handle the power, then hand it over to a fabricator. With the power goals you want hands down the stock trans will be your first undoing. As for the super charger location i saw a p5 with it setup where the a/c condenser pump is, you might have to rework your whole exhaust manifold/DP to make it work. I suggest you turn the turbo inlet the opposite way from stock and have your supercharger charge outlet 3-4 inches from your turbo inlet.

But this is where it gets bad because all the money you just spent could easly go into a build like Jeff has going on. In the end its your choice, so if you're staying with the stock motor because you want to be a total badass then do it.

Just my 2 cents

as is, im making 226whp with the following
fmic with 2.5" hardpipes
relocated turbo with custom made exhaust manifold
HUGE 3.2" downpipe with electric exhaust cutout
short ram intake
aem boost control/gauge in one
plugs/wires
split second air/fuel timing controller
maximum stiffness engine mounts

Just curious, how much boost are you running to make 226 whp

i would say twincharging or twinturboing is all show and no go. theres a reason people dont do it much.

and what are your real power goals, aside from "a lot"

ok one your not going to make big power with a stock trans for long (stock trans will only hold 275ish reliably) . there are no advantages for .020 or .040 over they are really only used when your current bores are scarred too badly or are out of shape.

Let me know if you need any build parts. =)

Also if you have any supercharger questions, im the only protege on the forums with a Supercharger setup. (Eaton M62 Blower)

I am definitely all about keeping the stock block. Anything else is all game!

My power goal is around 330-350 hp. I have had worries about the trans and I'm open to anything different I can put in.. I have even considered the sport20 awd trans but if you all can enlighten me of either a direct swap tranny or one thats close, im sure I can make Transition plate.

As for my psi while I ran for the 226 was about 10.2, ran it here in houston, so sea level, 80deg outside..
2 months later it was hot outside and I pushed it hard and developed a knock.. That was only 9psi I think.. ohs wells, I wanted to overhaul it

if your planning on going big power i would suggest lower compression, becasue you would want to up your boost more, just my opinion

if your planning on going big power i would suggest lower compression, becasue you would want to up your boost more, just my opinion

9.0:1 is plenty low when talking forged pistons for a low-ish HP goal like this. I wouldn't go lower than that unless i was looking for... 600whp, just to pull a number out of thin air.

I wanted to stay away from the gt30 just because I dont want just the'standard' build, I'm seriously considering a twin charge, talking to hkpro about the eaton chargers

My Advice and Suggestion is, if you want big Power and Big Numbers you need a Big Pocket, and get ready for Big Headaches, once you are sure to clear those 2 items you are ready to start !!!!

I'm already committed and headaches are my specialty! Now what trans options do I have?

You Either want a fully Par Engineering Straight cut Gears with Reinforcement Cups along with Quaife or MFactory LSD, a Good Clutch, i can Recommend ACT Extreme pressure Plate with 6 Puck Sprung Racing Clutch. Stronger CV Joints etc... all of these costs a lot of money..

I'm a certified 6g stainless welder and fairly confident in the uniformity of my weld so I plan on welding my own lsd. I was already planning on that heavy clutch, ill look into those gears, theres no close transmissions I may be able to adapt to?

I know there's a thread floating around here discussing whether it's possible to use the H-series trans from the F2T motor, which is known to be stronger than ours. I haven't kept up on it, but I think the general consensus is that it's feasible with a bit of custom work. How much is a "bit"? I guess that's the question :)

Latest posts

Back