JDM Sam said:
Production kit

exedymsp.JPG

My prototype kit
exedytest.jpg
so did you send in yours or did they send you a proto

orng1 said:
so did you send in yours or did they send you a proto
i sent mine in sometime last year and they sent back my original back along with the prototype. So yes I have one of the final test clutches. Basically what the final piece is but a test version. It holds up great. I will have more reviews soon from a few other people once I get them installed.

i havnt seen anyone complain about CM clutches yet, so thats why i picked them this time,, all i can say is im going to be pissed if this one goes out in 8 months like the spec did.

JDM Sam said:
i sent mine in sometime last year and they sent back my original back along with the prototype. So yes I have one of the final test clutches. Basically what the final piece is but a test version. It holds up great. I will have more reviews soon from a few other people once I get them installed.

what are they rated for? it looks good, do they have different stages? I am still looking around for a clutch :)

JDM Sam said:
37% above stock around 330-340 lbs.

Who's number is that? Remember the MSP is a 120hp car w/ a turbo kit slapped on. (I forget what tq the 2.0L NA is rated at)

I have a clutch now that was "suppose" to hold the power I'm making, but they were basing it thinking it was a higher power car than it actually is. It now slips when I race it after only 15k. We're going to work on building a better pressure plate in the future. I really want to downgrade from the 6puck ceramic to a windowed kevlar design.

Last edited:
JDM Sam said:
Production kit

exedymsp.JPG

My prototype kit
exedytest.jpg

This looks exactly like the stock MSP clutch kit. I also had problems with my Spec pressure plates before. I've tried two of them and both were very weak. Right now I'm using the STOCK MSP pressure plate with the Spec hybrid disk. This combo is ok, however the stock MSP disk felt better. I might go back to the MSP disk. What I've gathered from my experimenting is that Spec Pressure plates just do not hold for some reason. Yes the pedal was a lot softer, but maybe that's the reason they do not hold?

My ACT stage 1 only has about 400 miles on it, but so far it's a dream. I just recently started getting on it to test it out now that it's broken in. The engagement is perfect IMO. Of course I'm not boosting or pushing big HP... yet.

CustomMSP said:
This looks exactly like the stock MSP clutch kit.

My stock clutch had rubber bushings instead of springs on the disc. I think that's why it chattered so much.

jeffmsp said:
has anyone that hasnt been to the track blown their stock clutch cause I put mine through lots of fun and it holds fine. Must be the hard launches.

The stock MSP clutch works great.

The Msp one has a 1350 ft lb clamp load vs a stock one of 1169 ft lb on a regular protege. The Exedy has 1545 ft lb clamp load. You do the math on which one holds more.

Last edited:
JDM Sam said:
The Msp one has a 1350 ft lb clamp load vs a stock one of 1169 ft lb on a regular protege. The Exedy has 1545 ft lb clamp load. You do the math on which one holds more.

clamp is only one part of the total holding of the clutch setup. The clutch face also play a very important part of the total grip. Then you also have to look at the life span. A lot of time the stock clutch set up will out last the aftermarkt high performance replacement.

MPNick said:
clamp is only one part of the total holding of the clutch setup. The clutch face also play a very important part of the total grip. Then you also have to look at the life span. A lot of time the stock clutch set up will out last the aftermarkt high performance replacement.

You will burn the stock clutch disc up faster if the pressure plate doesn't clamp the disc down. Clutch slipping occurs when the pressure plate can't clamp the disc down. This is addressed with the higher clamp load capacity of the pressure plate.

The disc is upgraded in conjuction with spring hubs to reduce drivetrain shock and impact compared to the stock rubber torsion dampers. On the MSP the disc has 6 while the regular protege has 4. The organic friction material on the Exedy disc is higher quality than the OEM specs and are more resistant to burst and slippage compared to OEM. You can see the difference in the material when compared to a stock MSP disc. Exedy's performance division ante's up the disc for performance and reliability.

You are wrong to assume this clutch will not hold and last as long as the stocker. The stocker will burn out faster if it is slipping due to the higher torque output of modified cars. This clutch exceed's the stock specs in everyway. I worked with Exedy to test and develop this clutch for the street. It is daily driveable and responsive when used for performance oriented driving for higher output cars.

With the Exedy everything is ENGINEERED to exceed the OEM clutch. Daiken clutch which makes the OEM clutch for the MSP and Reg Protege also makes Exedy. Daiken clutch supplies most of the Japanese manufacturers so you know they are up there with manufacturing quality, especially when other aftermarket brand clutches use their discs, ie. Spec, Act. Exedy also supplies new Japanese KOYO bearings which are also OEM. Nothing was compromised.

The driver is the variable that determines how long a clutch lasts. If the clutch doesnt hold it will burn up just as fast if someone really beats on their clutch, i.e. not rev matching, clutch slips, clutch riding, etc.

with little over 200 whp, my stocker started to slip with only 20,000 miles on it...so i wont take that the stock clutch is fine when i know its not (deadhorse

BlAKECTX said:
with little over 200 whp, my stocker started to slip with only 20,000 miles on it...so i wont take that the stock clutch is fine when i know its not (deadhorse

It is all how you drive I guess. Fast lane had over 20,000 miles on his. He was make around 300whp and a little less torque.

Dean had more torque then anyone to the ground. He had the stock cltuch in it.

I am not saying that the aftermarket will not hold make in all cases. I do not think they will last as long as the stock.

MPNick said:
The stock MSP clutch works great.

If you're car remains stock... sure.

After I tuned and reached 220ft/lbs (crank) the clutch instantly started slipping. This was at 15,000 miles.

I wasn't mashing on it either.... This is something I expected however. The slight upgrade of the pressure plate isn't going to make the clutch hold that much more power. 220ft/lbs or anything around that is a significant amount over the stock 2.0L produces.

People should expect to replace the clutche when doing substantial gains to the car.

Last edited:
Spooled said:
My stock clutch had rubber bushings instead of springs on the disc. I think that's why it chattered so much.

They're probably rubber coated or covered or something like that... I'm pretty sure the Protege's disc uses regular springs.

HorsepowerFreak said:
If you're car remains stock... sure.

After I tuned and reached 220ft/lbs (crank) the clutch instantly started slipping. This was at 15,000 miles.

I wasn't mashing on it either.... This is something I expected however. The slight upgrade of the pressure plate isn't going to make the clutch hold that much more power. 220ft/lbs or anything around that is a significant amount over the stock 2.0L produces.

People should expect to replace the clutche when doing substantial gains to the car.

Dean made over 330 torque to the wheel. He also had slicks. He was not over 5,000 miles old. Maybe that was why.

MPNick said:
Dean made over 330 torque to the wheel. He also had slicks. He was not over 5,000 miles old. Maybe that was why.

I would say that's a freak incident with his clutch. The figures would say otherwise to those clutches holding that kind of power. Know what I mean?

330... good lord.

Back