We WILL Be Getting a Second Generation MAZDA 2 in 2015 (But There's a HUGE Catch)

Was thinking of that also but I was just trying to figure out which one he was talking about ;)

I'm with you. This could mean great things for the new Mazda 2. Two door option? MAZDASPEED2 option?..... maybe.
omg i so want a 2 door and a mazdaspeed2. that would be amazing. and nearly everyone i talk to says a mazdaspeed2 would be awesome. i know in CA sales for 2's keep going up so, i am excited to see what happens!

i like this.

chevy gets the new american "holden" ss (cuz RIP pontiac g8/gto)
toyota gets the new brz/ft86/frs with subaru
toyota gets the new mazda2yarisbutnotayaris with mazda
mazda gets the new alfa spider/miata with fiat
nissan might bring back datsun
ford brought a "euro hot hatch" with the new ST
Fiat/Chrysler are making better cars, and SRT is doing good with the new viper and jeep

i think the automotive industry is shaping up

i like this.

chevy gets the new american "holden" ss (cuz RIP pontiac g8/gto)
toyota gets the new brz/ft86/frs with subaru
toyota gets the new mazda2yarisbutnotayaris with mazda
mazda gets the new alfa spider/miata with fiat
nissan might bring back datsun
ford brought a "euro hot hatch" with the new ST
Fiat/Chrysler are making better cars, and SRT is doing good with the new viper and jeep

i think the automotive industry is shaping up

How about if Toyota brings back the MR2 and uses the Miata platform to create it? Eh? EHHHH!?

According to the President of Mazda, he has no immediate reason to stop the 2 in america just yet. He said their big push is going to be in the b,c,d car segments, with the sale of suv thrown in there. The 2 falls under the b segment.

Have any of you guys ever driven a newer Yaris? Imagine the 2's clutch. But the whole car feels that numb

(headshake I see a brand new Yaris and a brand new Kia Rio everyday, and every time I pass them i think to myself, "WHY????" A Mazda2 or even a Fiesta or Sonic would be so much better for the same $$.

How about if Toyota brings back the MR2 and uses the Miata platform to create it? Eh? EHHHH!?

well lets see.

toyabaru did the new ae86
nissan is talking about datsun coming back so maybe some real fairladys not the boring 350/370
honda failed with the crz....but it had potential
hyundai brought back the tiburon with the genesis coupe (and all its trims)
mazda is going to bring back the rx-9 (I JUST KNOW IT SHUT UP AND DONT RUIN MY DREAMS)
id love to see a new mr2 or nissan bring a new 300zx or 240sx.

i feel the frs is the start of companies bringing back fun hoonable cars.

well lets see.

toyabaru did the new ae86
nissan is talking about datsun coming back so maybe some real fairladys not the boring 350/370
honda failed with the crz....but it had potential
hyundai brought back the tiburon with the genesis coupe (and all its trims)
mazda is going to bring back the rx-9 (I JUST KNOW IT SHUT UP AND DONT RUIN MY DREAMS)
id love to see a new mr2 or nissan bring a new 300zx or 240sx.

i feel the frs is the start of companies bringing back fun hoonable cars.

Dreams, dreams... The fact of the matter is that there's only so much market for sporty and impractical fun-to-drive cars. If all of them jump on the same small piece of market cake, somebody's going to lose.

Dreams, dreams... The fact of the matter is that there's only so much market for sporty and impractical fun-to-drive cars. If all of them jump on the same small piece of market cake, somebody's going to lose.

But isn't that what car manufacturers do anyways? They see a trend and all of them copy it. SUV's and crossovers for example. Then the market gets over saturated. I'd much rather see an over saturation of new sporty and impractical fun to drive cars around. :)

So, I just read an article on Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/05/mazdas-new-mexican-plant-capacity-rises-to-230-000/) about how Mazda is raising the production capacity of the new assembly plant in Mexico. The article notes that the plant isn't going to be starting up production until March 2014 -- which is interesting, because everything I'd heard/read previously said it would be up and running in the spring of 2013.

That makes me think, though -- it takes several months to get production started for any car line, so if the plant is online until March 2014, we won't see cars hitting dealers until a few months later. What does this mean for the 2014 model year 2's? I had been thinking that the 2013's would be the last year for the DE platform. Is the general consensus that the 2014's will be the final year of the current generation, or are we going to be without the 2 here for a year? (In a perfect world, I'd want to see one year of a next-generation 2, but made in Japan.)

The fact that they mention economies of scale and production efficiency as primary reasons says to me that they intend to keep producing a Mazda version as well, although I guess that doesn't mean selling it in the US.

Anyway, I'm glad the model won't be totally abandoned, but I don't really plan on buying another 2. It's not that I don't like my current one, but my next car is going to be bigger, nicer, and maybe a bit greener (diesel Mazda6 is really appealing), and the 2 will leave the daily driver role in favor of being a track/backroad car. I might even B-Spec it.

Latest posts

Back