Mazda2 Hazumi Concept to be Unveiled at Geneva

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the additional resource. Post more as you see them !

Don

No Diesel Mazda2 for the U.S. ?

From his comments at the 2014 NYIAS, it appears that Mazda's global head of sales and marketing, Masahiro Moro, has rung the death knell for the diesel Mazda2 in the U.S.

In the "USA[,] In general, these customers dont have a strong preference towards diesel engines. So probably the main engine should be a petrol engine in my opinion.

His comments are for a new CX-9, but he also commented that "in the US [...] customers there choose petrol almost by default, a diesel CX-9 is unlikely."

See http://www.caradvice.com.au/282304/mazda-cx-9-next-generation-to-drop-v6-still-no-diesel-expected/

Hopes for a 60 - 70 MPG Mazda2 seem to be dashed, based on these candid announcements.

Don

Even if we would get a diesel model here, a 60-70 mpg one would not happen due to ridiculous US emission laws.

"customers there choose petrol almost by default"

Well, maybe beeeeeecause there aren't many diesel options to choose from in the US? These car manufacturers and their numbers really annoy me. Volkswagen doesn't seem to be having any trouble selling diesels in the US. Audi is bringing back the A3 hatch in only diesel form. The numbers tell them one thing and they believe it 200% and don't even test the option. This is also going on with hatchbacks in the US. This also happens with sending a lesser optioned car to the US. This happened to the Mazda 2 as well as the Scion FR-S. Other than the regulations just give everyone the same car.

Sorry, rant. :)

Last edited:
Add "n"

^^^^^ Just add an "n" to his last name.

Better Now ?

Lol.

Don

IRS on Next-Gen 2?

Is there any indication whether the next-generation Mazda2 will continue to have a torsion-beam rear suspension or get an independent rear suspension? As far as I know, the only subcompact in the US with IRS is the Mini, which is clearly a more expensive vehicle. So, IRS may be beyond the price point of the 2, but with Mazda's talk of the flexibility they are building into their manufacturing process, perhaps a scaled-down version of the Mazda3's multi-link rear setup if economically feasible.

Thoughts?

my friend spotted this new Mazda2 when he's about going to Fuji.

11959_10203568830722860_7194231864728862846_n.jpg

To answer my own question, I've found several articles published around the time of the Hazumi's debut that claim the next 2 will still have a torsion beam rear setup, but none of them refer to any statements by Mazda on this subject; in other words, they are all just rumor or (possibly informed) speculation.

Mazda Confirms 104hp Skyactiv-D 1.5-Liter Diesel Engine for Upcoming Mazda2 .

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/06/mazda-confirms-105ps-skyactiv-d-15.html

Diesel engine is great but 104hp is not what I'm looking for at all. I very much hope they have a higher horsepower version. 135hp at least to compete with the Fiesta. It's going to look this good with no real zoom zoom behind it? Not the news i was hoping for. A real disappointment to me if true and they don't offer a higher hp version.

Last edited:
Not sure we'd even get the deisel version here in the u.s. There may be different engine? Or is deisel the only option?

Torque is where the Diesel shines and that new 1.5 L SkyActiv-D has A LOT for an engine that size (if I'm not mistaken)...I posted about this engine a few days ago... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...iesel-184-lb-ft-Torque!&p=6303172#post6303172

What excites me about Mazda's SkyActiv-D engines is the tuning / power potential...I would love to see the aftermarket for these engines take off...Look at what Mazda's doing with their SkyActiv-D race car prototype!

Thank you for the updates.

Hopefully (maybe) the diesel will be available in the U.S. of A. too, in 2015.

Don

Agreed on the diesel, the potential plus the SkyActiv-D seems to be great but I'd still like to see more horses than 104. To me that's just unacceptable.

Torque is where the Diesel shines and that new 1.5 L SkyActiv-D has A LOT for an engine that size (if I'm not mistaken)...I posted about this engine a few days ago... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...iesel-184-lb-ft-Torque!&p=6303172#post6303172

What excites me about Mazda's SkyActiv-D engines is the tuning / power potential...I would love to see the aftermarket for these engines take off...Look at what Mazda's doing with their SkyActiv-D race car prototype!

The US will probably get the 1.5-l Skyactiv-G engine. In at least one market where that engine is available, it puts out 100 BHP, though we may see a different tune in the States. That engine seems the logical follow-on to the 100-BHP, 1.5-l MZR engine in the current 2.

Last edited:
Since Mazda's dragging its feet on putting the new 2.2L Skyactiv diesel engine in the 6, I doubt we'll see the 1.5L engine in the new 2 much before we see the 2.2 (if we ever see that in the current-gen 6). I think the torque from the diesel engine is impressive and would make the lack of horsepower a smaller issue (more torque would make the engine feel more "meaty," since diesels don't have to rev so high to hit the peak in the power band). The more I look at this car, the less impressed I am with it, but that's just a personal opinion. I know a lot of what made the concept car cool won't make it to production (including, most likely, the engine), and it doesn't look like it pushes the envelope as much as I originally hoped over the current 2, apart from possibly addressing the interior quality issue.

I'm looking forward to news of whether Mazda's going to release a new Mazdaspeed3 or a replacement for the RX-8 in the next couple years. I think one of those two will be what I trade my 2 in for.

I'm looking forward to news of whether Mazda's going to release a new Mazdaspeed3 or a replacement for the RX-8 in the next couple years. I think one of those two will be what I trade my 2 in for.

Can I interest you in an ND Miata?

Back