Mazda2 Hazumi Concept to be Unveiled at Geneva

I did the Ford Ecoboost Challenge event in Columbus today... drove a Fiesta ST on a small auto-x course... that is a ridiculously fun car. Mazda NEEDS to make a MS2, if the FiST is still being made a few years from now that just might have to be my first brand new car...

That's what I'm saying! :)

I did the Ford Ecoboost Challenge event in Columbus today... drove a Fiesta ST on a small auto-x course... that is a ridiculously fun car. Mazda NEEDS to make a MS2, if the FiST is still being made a few years from now that just might have to be my first brand new car...

Will you guys knock this off?! What ever happened to talking up the 2 so we all feel better about our purchase? MAZDA 2 4EVER!!!!

The Ms2 is coming, at least that's what I've heard from a somewhat reliable source...Should see it peek in mid model cycle for 2016. He's heard small s roll turbo in the 175hp ish range weight right around 2400 lbs..That's all I got out of him, then he gave me the "oops I said to much" look.

As for the diesel....It sounds great on paper, but have you ever driven a performance car with a diesel? The TDI I autocrossed for a few months ( yeah that's how long it took for Tony to get tired of it), sucked. The torque was great, but so was the uncontrollable wheelspin and torque steer; unless you left the traction control on, then when you turned the wheel, it went flat with stability control. You run out of revs at 4,000 rpm and it's not very exciting to rev at all.. 3 shifts t 60mph.You almost want/need the DSG to enjoy the car. The diesel sucked the fun right out of the manual driving experience. S ,I'm not really looking forward to a diesel at all, and honestly, unless you drive 100+ miles a day strictly in bumper to bumper traffic, you'll never get the gain a diesel offers. Gas vehicles get just as good of MPG on the highway, at a substantially less cost per mile than diesel. Small bore Turbos are the future. Just drive the ST (either of them), fun fun fun..

The Ms2 is coming, at least that's what I've heard from a somewhat reliable source...Should see it peek in mid model cycle for 2016. He's heard small s roll turbo in the 175hp ish range weight right around 2400 lbs..That's all I got out of him, then he gave me the "oops I said to much" look.

And I jizzed... in my pants.

394.gif

I hope your source is right. Can you get more out of him? :) To me a MS2 makes complete since for Mazda. I hope it comes true.

UPDATE -

Apparently www.drive.com.au has the first test drive of the new Mazda 2 and according to the driver there will be a more powerful version. How much more power? I have no idea.

Maybe your source is on to something jasyatz. I still say Mazda NEEDS to offer a MAZDASPEED2 version. Mazda is all about the ZOOM ZOOM so give it some damn ZOOM ZOOM. Compete with the Ford Fiesta ST. Mazda can do it.

LINK

VIDEO

that 79nm of power roughly converts to our current hp of 100 ish (almost 106 ) so a higher performance model hopefully will be in the 120-130nm range. (165-180hp)

I was studying the mazda3 and although the wheelbase is longer, it seems all the length increase is mostly in the nose from the A pillar forward. If the Kudo design carries over to the 2, this may actually help weight bias a bit as long as the engine can sit a little further back than it is currently.

Still not a big fan of taller though. tall is never good.

I'm still not convinced (at least until we see official specs) that this new car is a radical departure from what we have now in terms of driving dynamics. It looks good, but I don't think the current-gen 2 has aged badly (unlike the older Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit). It does look like Mazda has done something about the lackluster interior we have now, but from the cockpit back, it looks pretty much the same, apart from being a couple inches taller.

I agree with Jasyatz about the taller part of the new 2. I never had an issue with headroom (and I'm 6'0" tall), so making it taller doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I do have some issues with legroom, however, and it doesn't appear that Mazda sorted that because - as Jasyatz noted with the 3 (and I suspect this will carry over to the 2 since it'll have the Kodo design language) - the increased length is in the nose rather than in the cabin. Practically speaking, I think I'd rather just try to set what few problems I have with my 2 right than get the new one. Unless the SkyActiv powertrain delivers amazing numbers in terms of weight and economy.

The Infiniti q30 concept looks similar. It will probably have a bigger engine tho.

Autoblog reports erroneous rumors allllllllll the time.

It would make for some interesting news if true, though. And if Mazda is actually bothering with a system like that, it must be producing some very good results. It looks like the debut of the production 2 will be September/October, so not very long to wait. With global models, they have a tendency to debut a production model only weeks before they are available for sale at dealerships. (drive)

Autoblog.com has reported it as well.

Back