Mazda2 Hazumi Concept to be Unveiled at Geneva

GrasshopperCO

:
2015 Mazda 3 iSport 6-M/T
Mazda-Hazumi-concept-626x417.jpg

(Image from Car and Driver)

I know rumors and renderings of the next-gen 2 have been circling the web and, indeed, the forums for awhile now, but I came across this article today saying that the Kodo-inspired 2 will be revealed at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show. The teaser image already looks good, and while it may boost the 2's sales, I'm curious to see if it's going to be any different dynamically (i.e. powertrain, interior, etc.)

The article says that the next-gen 2 will be built alongside the Yaris in Mexico, so that's good news I suppose for any doubters that the next-gen 2 would be sold in the U.S.

What do you all think? Here is the article in question.

Now, I'm not in the market for a new car at all right now or in the near future. In my mind, though, for autocross purposes and such it's viability would kind of hinge on whether the rumors of it being built on the same frame as the CX-3 are true. A heavier frame is going to really reduce this platform's tossability.

I think if the new car is going to ride on a SkyActiv platform like the 3 and the 6, it should be lighter and stiffer (at least the non-diesel versions), so it should be better than the current platform. I don't think there's going to be a HUGE dynamic improvement over the current-gen car, but we'll see.

If it looks like a small version of the 6, I'm probably trading mine is. As such, I have put any and all modifications on hold and instead channeled my energ-err, funds into the Miata.

Not sure if being made next to the Yaris is a good thing. Is this a joint project? (Shudder)

Not sure if being made next to the Yaris is a good thing. Is this a joint project? (Shudder)

The way I read the release information Toyota was having build the whole thing built for them by Mazda.

-Derrick

Can't wait to see it, I love the new look of the 6. I'm not all sold on the 3, I like the 6 more.

Also the new CX-3 based on the Mazda2, I hope it will be AWD. It maybe a great add on in my driveway :)

Yes, this is a good thing..especially for part vendors and performance enthusiasts. This joint build will open up 2 models in the same market and (hopefully) make it more worth while for companies (CS and others) to develope parts and be able to controll expenses based on a larger market penetration.

And TRD is always at the forefront of creating "Specials" so I wouldn't put it past them to sneak a forced induction kit in there sometime.

I would be happy to see an aggressive looking 2 be built for the next version. Hmm, maybe a new B-Spec car.

-Derrick

I am looking forward to this, and the new Miata. Both of them are potential next cars on my list. Don't worry my current 2 is going anywhere when I do get something.

The concept car, in its entirety, has been leaked thanks to some Austrians:

Hazumi-sketch-626x340.jpg

You know what? I'm not crazy on it. Apart from the front end and some more flamboyance on the sides, it still looks the same in the back. And it looks like it'll be smaller on the inside, if it makes it to production relatively intact from this concept.

Lately, their production cars have been even better than their concepts, so I'm eager to see this bad boy!

Lately, their production cars have been even better than their concepts, so I'm eager to see this bad boy!

Maybe in a different light, it'll look better in the sheet metal. I would really love some pillarless doors, if that makes it to production!

Back