Mazda2 Hazumi Concept to be Unveiled at Geneva

Found some very nice pics.

Article

phpljjhpo.jpg

phpfkll5q.jpg

phpualcmc.jpg

phpalyyve.jpg

That's just brilliant. Maybe they'll put a rotary engine in it!? That'll give the 2 some more oomph :p (Rhetorical question...I know they won't).

New 2015 Mazda2 Could Look Like This. Very, very feasible and probably the nicest looking sub-compact that I've seen in the US for a very long time. Dual exhaust? Yes please! This is just an artist's design of what he thinks it'll look like so we'll see.

www.carscoops.com

Auto brands these days use fancy words to described and promote their design philosophy and language, like Hyundai's "Fluidic Sculpture" and Cadillac's "Art and Science", but in the end, what matters is how their cars look on the road and to this extent, Mazda seems to be doing a pretty good job lately.

If you're wondering, the Japanese firm also has a name for its most recent design theme: 'KODO - Soul of Motion', which has been applied on the well-received Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5, with the next car in line to receive this more aggressive styling being the successor to the Mazda2 (Demio) sub-compact, expected later this year.

To give us an idea and to get us excited about the new 2, Mazda previewed the car through the Hazumi Concept at the Geneva Motor Show. While no one here would have any problem whatsoever seeing the concept entering production as is, we all know that's not going to happen.

The question is, how close will the production car on Mazda's lots be to the study? If you're looking for a best-case scenario answer, Carscoops' reader Damian Sebastian prepared this digitally modified version of the supermini with toned down lights, bumpers and wheels, together with a regular grille and door mirrors. Do you think it makes the cool cut?

By John Halas

Designs courtesy of Damian Sebastian

2015-Mazda2-Carscoops%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Mazda-Hazumi-7%25255B3%25255D.jpg

2015-Mazda2-Carscoops-2%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Mazda-Hazumi-3%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Last edited:
TopGear UK online has some interesting quotes and details. The last one is the best.

The Hazumi is longer, wider and lower than the current 2...

“We wanted something that was a bit more sporty and edgy," Mazda’s Chief of Design for European operations, Peter Birtwhistle, told us. "A car that would take Kodo to the younger market."

“We tried to get some prime evil into the front and rear lights,” Mazda’s designer told us. “The rear lights have a graphic of an owl, and we looked at birds of prey and wildcats – something predatory – for inspiration, in order to toughen it up and look more purposeful.”

Mazda says we should think of the Hazumi like the Takeri and Minagi: concepts that reached the streets with minimal change as the new 6 and CX-5 respectively.

LINK

Dude... We'd be lucky if we even get more than 130hp. :)

I'd be perfectly happy with 130-150hp in our little car. But I can have pie in the sky dreams, can't I?

To be honest, with the "down to earth" rendering of the new 2, the exterior dimensions don't look all that different from the current one...From the A-pillar all the way back to the rear, with the exception of moving the mirrors lower onto the doors, the new taillights and a slight edging out of the hatch, it doesn't look like a radical departure from the current-gen 2. More like a mid-life refresh (albeit, it's about time for that, so that's probably what it is).

Now, the interior is a different story. If it really does go into production looking at least somewhat like it did at the Geneva Motor Show, then I have high hopes for our little 2. Mazda definitely seemed to pack more stuff into it that makes it feel more upscale and less econo-box than the current one does. However, the 2's "cheap" exterior can be solved, to some extent, with aftermarket parts, and I wonder how much having a "nice" interior in the new 2 is going to inflate the price.

To put it another way, I really don't see the new car starting for much less than a new Fiesta, but perhaps I am [hopefully] wrong.

The new Mazda 2 (Hazumi) is Smoking Hot.

I want mine in British Racing Green, Tan Leatherette, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Sun Roof, and 150 Horse Power.

(I can dream, can't I ?)

Don

Oh hell yes. I would take one just like that. British racing Green. Or Soul Red. Or True Red. Or Pearl White.

The new Mazda 2 (Hazumi) is Smoking Hot.

I want mine in British Racing Green, Tan Leatherette, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Sun Roof, and 150 Horse Power.

(I can dream, can't I ?)

Don

Back