Mazda2 Hazumi Concept to be Unveiled at Geneva

Its just that what I've seen of past Yaris's (Yari?) hasn't been terribly impressive. I'd just hate to see the great things about the M2 (handling, sport characteristics, etc) be watered down to the Yaris level.

Yes, this is a good thing..especially for part vendors and performance enthusiasts. This joint build will open up 2 models in the same market and (hopefully) make it more worth while for companies (CS and others) to develope parts and be able to controll expenses based on a larger market penetration.

And TRD is always at the forefront of creating "Specials" so I wouldn't put it past them to sneak a forced induction kit in there sometime.

Its just that what I've seen of past Yaris's (Yari?) hasn't been terribly impressive. I'd just hate to see the great things about the M2 (handling, sport characteristics, etc) be watered down to the Yaris level.

From everything I've read Toyota will be using the new Mazda 2 platform for the new Toyota Yaris. So don't worry. Mazda will no doubt still make a fun car to drive.

Very excited to see the new Mazda 2. I'm hoping for a true hot hatch this time around. Most of all Mazda, DO NOT deny the US the premium options like you did with the current US Mazda 2.

Really like it, although it looks a bit longer, almost has the Fiesta profile now. But I love the grill and the new front fender line that runs all the way back to the rear door, disappears, and then picks back up to go over the rear wheel...

Looks like a full glass roof panel also..

Mazda, keep the center mount exhaust!

Damn, I hope a lot of the parts cross over, I'm 95% in deep to this one..

Last edited:
Just for those of you who don't want to click the link, here's an image of the concept car that Jabbed linked to above:

mazda2-hazumi-3-850x566.jpg

It does look like the new car has a longer hood. Longer hood...bigger engine? Let's hope so! Although I, too, hope some parts from the new one are interchangeable. Maybe I can shoehorn a bit of the new car into my current 2 :D

GOT DAMZ that looks good!!!! If the production version looks anything like this, and if we actually get it here in NA, I'm on board.

Wowwww, Omg that looks mean!!
That has got to be fast from the looks of it. lol. That sucker is totally going to be turbocharged. I can't see why it wouldn't be with such a large front end and overall appearance.

I doubt there will be a true Mazdaspeed model, but I can see a 1.5l Turbodiesel in it for sure. They're debuting the new 1.5l Skyactiv Diesel along with the Hazumi, so there is little doubt they will go together. Real question is how screwed is the NA market going to get? Still waiting on the diesel Mazda 6...and waiting...and waiting...and....

I like the look. The whole roofline looks similar to the current model and the size looks comparable too. Crossing my fingers for a minimum of a 1.5 liter skyactiv engine.

-Derrick

Right now, the only engine I've seen specifically touted for this car is the Skyactiv-D 1.5L diesel...While I'm sure it'll give comparable performance to the 1.5L we have now, I don't relish having a diesel in a tiny little hatchback like this bearing performance in mind. Even the 2.0L SkyActiv engine from the 3 would work wonders in a car like this, and the larger front haunches should give more than enough space to fit that engine...Guess we'll see.

When Mazda announces availability, prices and engines, I'll consider it. I'm guessing this will probably be a 2016 model. Does anyone know if Mazda said anything about this car's production timeline?

Back