Traded in my MY15 for an MY16 and ended up with a grand in my pocket...

Cool story, glad it worked out ok in the end. I would always recommend sticking a small fire extinguisher in trunk under the false floor, chances of using it are tiny but it might come in handy, ever for someone else car. CX5 has proven it's one of the safest.

Cool story Ulrich. Glad you made it out alive. I noticed a car seat in the back? Things could've been a lot worse!!! Nice to hear the CX-5's IIHS top safety pick was well deserved.

Meet the new car, same as the old car:
* I got the Katzkin seat upgrade again, but I am not as happy this time around as I was last time. The color match seems off by a shade to me, which is noticeable when I hold the Japanese low-profile headrests I got in the back (left-over from the MY15) against the door panels. Katzkin says their color match for "Sand" is "Puddy", but after looking at their sample sheet I think that "Dune" would be a better match (to me, "Dune" has the greenish tinge that "Sand" has while "Puddy" is more brownish). Well, I guess you only notice it when you look for it, so I left good-enough alone...
* Speaking of leather seats, I was actually surprised that the car came with the "Sand" interior. I had been looking at the 2016 GTs and was expecting that all 2016 interiors were changed to "Parchment". Well, I guess at least this way I can use my back headrests without having to re-cover them... For those contemplating a similar upgrade and who want the white-ish look, check out the "Alabaster" color that Katzkin offered. I was very tempted to go that route...
Glad to hear you are OK and got a new and improved 2016 Touring with a grand in your pocket... :)

For 2016 CX-5, only GT with leather seats changed to parchment color. The old sand color is still offered in Sport and Touring with cloth seats. May be that's why you have issues on Katzkin seat upgrade.

BTW, where did you get that non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests?

It's great that the car handled the rollover so well and that you were able to escape with minimal injury. The CX-5 has one of the highest roof strength ratings in it's class. It would really take a bad crash to cause the roof to collapse.

However, this crash highlights on of the biggest problems with driving a CUV.. you're more likely to roll over in the first place.
Had you been in a Mazda 3, or Mazda 6 it's possible the car would have stayed on it's wheels through the whole crash and you would be stuck with a poorly repaired car for years to come.

Glad you made it through this relatively OK. It seems to always work out that the idiot who causes the accident has the least insurance coverage.

I wonder what the system tells the 911 operator when the call is made. Ideally it would provide the operator with GPS location information, so they would know where to dispatch aid.

The fronts don't deploy in a side impact. The manual has a whole section on when the bags will and will not deploy.

Correct. Since I rolled the car on its side there was no front impact and the sensors did not activate the front airbag. probably a good thing, too; I've seen enough pictures of people with black eyes after their airbags deployed... :)

Also, I never thought of it before the accident, but the side airbags worked like a curtain and did a wonderful job keeping any glass from shattered windows away from me.

For 2016 CX-5, only GT with leather seats changed to parchment color. The old sand color is still offered in Sport and Touring with cloth seats. May be that's why you have issues on Katzkin seat upgrade.

BTW, where did you get that non-US spec, low-profile rear seat headrests?

PM user "Fendiman" on this site. He also has a thread in one of the forums where he's offering them for sale. He's getting them directly from Japan, though I think they are sold in Europe as well.

You can see them in the picture of the back of my new car. They have about the same height as the middle head rest.

Edit: Here you go --> http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...on-US-Spec-Head-Restraints-for-a-US-spec-CX-5

Last edited:
Glad you made it through this relatively OK. It seems to always work out that the idiot who causes the accident has the least insurance coverage.

I wonder what the system tells the 911 operator when the call is made. Ideally it would provide the operator with GPS location information, so they would know where to dispatch aid.

Since it goes through the cell phone, it's just like if you made a call that way.

Good Point!

Anyone know? Would love to know this myself!

Also interested in how the OP knew his crashed CX-5 TRIED to "call in the accident".

I've seen the roof strength test results, but this sure proves it.

I'm glad you are ok, certainly a dangerous way to a grand in pocket.

Damn! Glad you walked away! Also glad you little one was no in the car with you! Enjoy the new ride!

Also interested in how the OP knew his crashed CX-5 TRIED to "call in the accident".

Because when I crawled back into the car to grab some of my stuff I saw a message on the infotainment unit display indicating a "911 Call Failure". I did not have Bluetooth turned on on my phone, so the system couldn't connect to call.

Fun little fact that just occurred to me: The insurance for the MY16 is actually $4 cheaper per year than the same coverage for the MY15. ;)

I
Anyway, to make a short story even shorter, I was driving along minding my own business when an SUV in the lane next to me was about to hit a Mustang who in turn tried to avoid getting hit and swerved in my lane just as a was driving by. Mustang made contact on rear passenger side, may have hit the tire as the axle disintegrated (yes, that's what it is sticking up in the picture) and sends me spinning clockwise; as I am perpendicular to the lane gravity takes over and the car rolls, ending up on the roof and sliding along the concrete for a few more yards.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Was the SUV in the adjacent lane on your right about to rear-end the Mustang? Was the Mustang stopped or nearly stopped? What was your approximate speed when the Mustang hit you?

Anyway, got the same car/configuration as before just a model year younger. Could not replicate the deal I got last year, but the dealer took my Total Loss letter from my insurance company as a paper trade so I only paid $50 sales tax on the car while the insurance company gave me what I paid originally, plus full sales tax. So I am still a grand ahead which will help with replacing some personal property that was damaged in the accident and which I most likely will not see a dime for since the SUV driver was severely underinsured.

I think minimum insurance requirements need to be updated to reflect inflation. Low minimum's encourage people to drive without enough coverage to replace a Mustang and a Mazda which is just wrong because it jacks up the premiums for under-insured motorists for the rest of us.

Glad you came out as unscathed as you did. I guess this disproves the theory that a desire to save fuel has left the CX-5 flimsy.

Fun little fact that just occurred to me: The insurance for the MY16 is actually $4 cheaper per year than the same coverage for the MY15. ;)
That's unheard of. Although we haven't dealt with auto insurance for a while (knock on wood...), but our homeowner insurance will increase the premium each time you have a claim and paid. We had interior water damage and roof hail damage and claimed for the last two years. The insurance company has threatened us of the policy cancellation if we have the third claim within the next two years, not to mention 30% premium increase after each claim!

Mind to tell us which auto insurance you're with? ;)

I'm trying to figure out how you ended up ahead with an insured total loss on a 2015 car. Do you have one of those "new car replacement" plans or something? Typically, a total loss gets you black book value, which is usually about 2/3rds of the actual replacement cost, and often significantly less than the cost of a brand new replacement.

On the other hand, I'm glad that you made it out of the roll-over in mostly good shape.

Take care
Gary

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Was the SUV in the adjacent lane on your right about to rear-end the Mustang? Was the Mustang stopped or nearly stopped? What was your approximate speed when the Mustang hit you?
Correct. Both cars were in a lane to my right. It was a turn-off lane at a highway intersection; not sure how fast they were going (slower than me, at least). I was traveling at about 60 mph.

I think minimum insurance requirements need to be updated to reflect inflation. Low minimum's encourage people to drive without enough coverage to replace a Mustang and a Mazda which is just wrong because it jacks up the premiums for under-insured motorists for the rest of us.

The minimum in Texas seems to be $25,000. Given that both my CX-5 (six months old) and the Mustang (two years old) were totalled, it's not very hard math...

That's unheard of. Although we haven't dealt with auto insurance for a while (knock on wood...), but our homeowner insurance will increase the premium each time you have a claim and paid. We had interior water damage and roof hail damage and claimed for the last two years. The insurance company has threatened us of the policy cancellation if we have the third claim within the next two years, not to mention 30% premium increase after each claim!

Mind to tell us which auto insurance you're with? ;)

Amica. Aside from a little misunderstanding about the value of my car when they made their first settlement offer (which got worked out once I explained to them what car configuration I had and that they were just saving other people's money since they'd be able to claw everything back from the other company, and that since I am their paying customer with no claims on my record whatsoever (i.e. all premiums = pure profit) they probably should pay more attention to me than the other company) I am really happy with their customer service and claims process.

Given the initial complexity of two potentially guilty parties I just did not want to deal with the situation and just went through my own insurance.

I'm trying to figure out how you ended up ahead with an insured total loss on a 2015 car. Do you have one of those "new car replacement" plans or something? Typically, a total loss gets you black book value, which is usually about 2/3rds of the actual replacement cost, and often significantly less than the cost of a brand new replacement.

On the other hand, I'm glad that you made it out of the roll-over in mostly good shape.

Apparently Amica's policy is to pay out what you paid for the car if it is less than 12 months old -- and they pay out sales tax on that value. I come out ahead because the dealer was willing to do a paper trade; i.e. he accepted the Total Loss letter as a trade-in (and then on paper turned around and "sold" the car to my insurance company for the same amount) so that the new car only cost me $50 in sales tax.

Again, Amica's policy is good on one hand but sucked on the other since I did a good job negotiating the price last year (and profited from one or two mistakes by the sales guy) and was not able to replicate that deal this time around.

Last edited:
Garmin GPS...

I still take my portable Garmin with me if going anywhere "different". Free lifetime maps. Like for about $130! NOT the $500+ for built ins!

There's way more advantage having a Garmin as your GPS in place of a factory "built in".

CX5T Lover

Back