Newbie 3 Channel Dashcam setup for 2019 CX-5?

vdog

2019 CX-5 GT Premium
I am deciding between the Viofo A229 Pro and VanTrue N4, I believe the Viofo has better reviews in regards to parking mode. Since this is my first car (that I have bought), I would like tips on how to hardwire the car. I have looked over a few resources such as:
- Dash Cam Installation Hub — BlackboxMyCar Canada
- Guide - 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation | Mazdas247 - guide posted here (was unsure if this had parking mode however also not connected to directly so not sure how that affects other usbs)

I would love to know what route to go about:
1. Install via Dongar Dashcam Power Adapter (this does not have parking mode) but is easy install next to rearview mirror
2. Hardwire install direct with fuse box
3. Install via ODB port (not sure how this affects car battery)
4. Use a battery pack (such as Cellink NEO Battery Pack - currently unavailable)

If you have the auto-dim rearview mirror, you can tap into the wires there (accessory, battery, ground)...

1714731138160.png

I put together that guide for the CX-9 six (!) years ago. Time flies!

I personally would not risk installing via the OBD port. It would be best to install at the fuse box instead, as you can tap into a protected circuit. If there is some freak short with your dashcam and its connected via the OBD port, you run the risk of frying the CAN system and dealing with a hefty repair.

My Viofo A129 Duo has parking mode, but because I have to cycle through some menus on the dashcam to activate it, I don't use it. However, it turns out that if you use Viofo's hardwire kit, the Viofo cameras will automatically switch parking mode on and off when the engine stops and starts. Super nice feature that I wish I had known about when I bought my setup. The hardwire kits also have low voltage cutoff to protect the car battery. Might be worth considering in your case.

Hardwire kit for A229 Pro

And here's a link to a Reddit post where a user wired up an A129 Pro Duo on a 2019 CX-5 using Viofo's hardwire kit.

Awesome thanks so much @sm1ke! I love reading old posts that are so detailed that give me confidence on doing this myself. Just order the A229 Pro and Hk4 kit!

So just confirming if I have the Auto-dim rearview mirror (which is usually the one with the electrical power and buttons on it) then I could skip direct connecting to the fuse box correct?

Awesome thanks so much @sm1ke! I love reading old posts that are so detailed that give me confidence on doing this myself. Just order the A229 Pro and Hk4 kit!

So just confirming if I have the Auto-dim rearview mirror (which is usually the one with the electrical power and buttons on it) then I could skip direct connecting to the fuse box correct?

That, I'm unsure of. I think you might need to run the HK4 kit to the fuse box in order to get the automatic part of the parking mode to work. If you don't mind manually switching the mode on the dashcam itself, then you could use the Dongar. And unfortunately I'm not familiar with the auto-dimming mirror as a power source, I only know that the one with buttons for Homelink works for sure. I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm for you! Or you could try contacting Viofo directly to see what they would recommend.

Back