MX5Things Thinkware adapter + U3000 "Review"

I posted this on a different thread, but I think it warrants it's own. It's just my personal thoughts and observations.

Background:
With so many crazy drivers out there, I wanted to install a dashcam on my CX-5 for added security. I chose Thinkware as, from BlackBoxMyCar, this brand handles extreme temperature changes the best. I have the X1000 installed in my Civic, and it works well enough.

Here's a sample recording of the X1000

Though for the CX-5, I opted to go for Thinkware's new flagship, the U3000, which comes with wi-fi and a companion app to view and download videos. I intedted to purchase the U1000, but I wanted motion detection when parked to save the car's battery. In order for that to work on the U1000, I had to purchase a separate module. So, waiting for a Labor Day sale, I went with the U3000, which has that function built-in for both the front AND rear camera.

First impressions is that video quality is much better than my X1000. Which is to be expected as the X1000 is a 2K dashcam, while the U3000 is a 4K dashcam.
The bundle I bought includes the U3000 itself, an OBDII adapter for power, heat blocking film, a CPL filter, a rear dash cam that records in 2K, and the long power cable that connects it to the front camera.

To power the dashcam, I initially thought to use the OBDII adapter, like in my Civic. But I'd rather leave the OBDII port alone in the CX-5, because I had to disable the dashcam when I had my Civic tested for emissions. The other option was to use fuse taps. It would free up the OBDII port, but I'd rather not create a headache for myself in case I accidently make a mistake and use the wrong fuses. That's where the HomeLink adapter comes in. Since I wanted to use a Thinkware camera, the Dongar adapter was out. Further Google searching brought up this Thinkware adapter from MX5Things. Do note that it only works with framed HomeLink mirrors, as the adapter utilizes the connector behind the mirror, not the radar cover.

1694376454511.png

This not only allows the use of the U3000, but helps maintain parking mode, too. Though there are limitations with this adapter. While MX5Things markets this for the MX-5 and the CX-5, it clearly works better in the MX-5. It just fits in my application. If I purchased a dashcam powered by USB, it wouldn't be an issue. However, the power input for the Thinkware camera is too short. As a result, I had to mount the dashcam on the radar cover. At first, I thought it would be fine, making the dashcam less noticeable. But to my shock, the radar cover is not flat, which resulted in a tilted dashcam.

20230909_183332.jpg

376568088_2991969467601899_2754257889208092737_n.jpg

It's not ideal, but the video works.

Here's a test shot.

A few notes:

• The included CPL filter is a PITA to install. There are no alignment marks. And one wrong move, like accidently touching the side with adhesive, ruins the filter. Here's the result.

• In my case, I have a wireless Android Auto dongle. If you're using the wi-fi on the dashcam, it will not connect to your Android smartphone as it's using the wi-fi to for phone projection. Disconnecting the dongle prevents this issue.
  • Edit: I forgot to mention I have Llumar clear air 80 on my windshield. Which might cause the video to look a bit blue.

Last edited:
I have been using the Thinkware Q800 Pro (front and rear camera setup) for almost 2 years now, with my previous '20 and current '22 CX-5's. It also has the WiFi and app features and it works great. When my '20 was totalled last year, it was there to show that I was completely not at fault.

I have been using the Thinkware Q800 Pro (front and rear camera setup) for almost 2 years now, with my previous '20 and current '22 CX-5's. It also has the WiFi and app features and it works great. When my '20 was totalled last year, it was there to show that I was completely not at fault.
Did you hardwired yours with fusetaps? And how hard was it to install the rear camera? The last quote I got from the shop that did my tints was $170. I thought that wasn't bad.

Did you hardwired yours with fusetaps? And how hard was it to install the rear camera? The last quote I got from the shop that did my tints was $170. I thought that wasn't bad.
No, I am just using mine while the car is in motion, with power coming from the AC charge port under the HVAC controls (that port is inactive when the car is off). I know hardwiring allows for the greater functionality especially when the car is off, but I did not want to go that route at the current time.

The rear camera installation was not terribly difficult. The hardest part for me was routing the cable between both cameras to hide it between the headliner, pillars, etc.

I've had my U1000 for about 3 years, on my Ridgeline. The only issue I have, I wish the app and hotspot connectivity was better. It can get wonky at times. Besides that, it's a great camera!

We just got a CX5 and I'm thinking about getting another U1000, now that the 3000 been out, it should go down in $$$.

My U1000 is hardwired, I did myself. I plan on doing the same on the CX5.

Here's a clip from 3 weeks ago.

You never know when things happen. Gotta have the parking mode.

Attachments

• merge_video_1679707080282.mp4
    44.3 MB
View attachment 322243
I have dashcams in all my cars. For the CX5 I used something similar to get power from the rear view mirror and not having to run wires - it's called the Dongar. This version has a USB port instead of the plug type that you have shown. I've had it installed on my 2022 for over 18 months.
Easy to install and works great. Dash Cam Power Adapter (10-Pin Type E) for Select Mazda

We just got a CX5 and I'm thinking about getting another U1000, now that the 3000 been out, it should go down in $$$.

My U1000 is hardwired, I did myself. I plan on doing the same on the CX5.
I say go for it! I only went with the U3000 since I liked the radar feature and didn't have to add it a la carte. Though I wish my footage wasn't tilted. But using the mirror adapter was too easy. Fuse taps were a no-go from me. And I didn't want to block the OBDII port like in my Civic.

Rear camera is in the cards. Especially seeing that box truck running into your Ridgeline. Yikes!

Last edited:
Here's the rear camera installed! I don't have the honor of saying I did this myself, but the shop that did my tint also did the rear camera...

Back