Trade in my 2021 CX-5 or keep it?

How bout fix those two wires yourself? You've got nothing to loose eh

What does that connector go to / control?

Can I just get the connector somewhere?
Should be able to. Thats the first thing I’d try is repairing existing harness with a new connector (if wire crimps can’t be redone in existing connector).

Should be able to. Thats the first thing I’d try is repairing existing harness with a new connector (if wire crimps can’t be redone in existing connector).
Surely Mazda is not using a proprietary connector.
I wonder if Autozone or someone has a generic one to splice in?
There is not enough to crimp on on of the wires as it is chewed off close to the connector.

I wish I could find just the connector for you. Mazda engineers have a bill of material for this wire harness and would know exactly what connector you require. That would be your lowest cost solution: get your hands on just the connector and attach it to your damaged harness.

Next cheapest bet would be sourcing this harness from a scrap yard and just cutting off the connector you need.

The route I’d take if I absolutely didn’t want to replace the whole harness would be to buy the $100 harness and cut off the connector you need. Leave yourself enough wire to work with and splice it onto the harness that’s already on your car.

Methods: How to splice wires - how to solder, how to crimp, wire connectors. I probably wouldn’t use just crimps. I’d go with method two if you’re comfortable with soldering. Loosen up the wires, intertwine and twist the two ends, solder and cover with heat shrink. Easiest method would be the last method in the video, heat gun only. However, I’d be worried the solder would melt again if close to the engine in the bay.

Most involved, install a whole new wire harness. I imagine you’d have to jack the car up and remove the shield under the bay. I’m seeing the quotes online for thousands so it must be a real PITA and time consuming to replace entirely. That’s the insurance option if you don’t want to do any work lol!

Seeing how you were on the fence on trading in the car, maybe you just get the new connector spliced on and trade this baby in while it’s whole :D I assume no responsibility for the actions suggested above. I see that harness goes to various important pieces of hardware, but I honestly don’t think there’s much risk if you know how to splice wires well.

Last edited:
Long story short is that my 2021 Sig has over 30K on it, needs tires, and has been cursed by several body shop visits and repairs I'm not happy with.
Never had a car I liked as much, but also had such bad luck in.
I'm thinking I would get raped on a trade due to the amount of paint work it has had.
Also, after finding out the headlights are about $1800 a piece, I'm worried about any other high tech stuff that goes after warranty.
Anyway, ditch it or keep?
Mazda just announced up to 60 mos @ 0% financing - On the issue - Its your gut, so listen to it -- I had A 22 Carbon edit - and after 20K mi in one year --I just had some stuff that had me unhappy with it ---so I took a hit and got a new 23 different trim/color - no issues = In my state they offset the tax on a new trade , so I didnt pay tax twice ,,big factor -I have logged 10K miles and have NO regrets getting the 23 -- its totally different energy - and 23 was a good year -24 must be good - -- The transmission software is sweet , once its broken in ( took me a full 10K to notice the break in synergy revealed- silky shifts with predictable linear power delivery and smokin handling ) So it cant hurt to start looking around and seeing whats out there ?

You might be able to find the connectors and terminals here:

I use them to get parts for my motorcycle wiring. They claim to have auto components also. You will need to look for the connector to match. If you can determine the connector manufacturer, it will help narrow things down.

Well, it just gets worse.
Apparently, a rat got under the hood and chewed a wire in two last night.
Set some traps.
I live in the suburbs, not in the country, and you'd think we'd be safe from this stuff, but mice are everywhere around here. They do the same damage that you are experiencing, plus building homes under the hood.
I have to have traps in my garage all the time, and it never stops. There seems to be an endless supply of these things, no matter how many I kill.

Back