Anyone's CX-5 just can't stay out of the body shop?

To start, I have a 2021 Signature that I bought new.
In the last year and a half, it has been hail damaged (while sitting in a carport), had to go back to another shop because the first shop couldn't match the paint, had to have the front bumper replaced after that due to hitting a dog or coyote on the way to work, and now it needs about $6000 in body work due to a deer actually hitting me about 75 yards away from my house.
Front fender, bumper, headlight, etc trashed.
I bet I was doing 10 or 15 mph when the deer hit me at full speed.
I'm tired of this s*** on a car that is $40000 and has less than 30000 miles.
Oh, you know that just the headlight is almost $1800 ???

I just learned today that the driver who pulled in front of me and totaled my ‘13 CX-5 was uninsured, so Im fairly certain I can kiss my deductible goodbye. The valuation for my car came in very high so I’ll live with it. It’s just incredibly frustrating being the “responsible” party having to purchase insurance to cover those who don’t.

I’m parking my new ‘23 in the back of grocery store parking lots, and I now drive a longer and different route to work to avoid the street my ‘13 was wrecked at (PTSD much?).

My wife’s car is unfortunately the one taking a slight beating now. It’s a slick looking ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. I’ll tell you what though, those sharp angles on the door panels are DING MAGNETS. One of her coworkers (we know who but she never fessed up to it) put a nice deep dent on the rear passenger door when it was a few weeks old. Kids at the martial arts studio we go to added two dings to the doors on the opposite side of the car. We’re coming up on 2 years of ownership and 40k miles and she looks brand new still, except for those unsightly dings.

Hoping your luck turns around! I feel your pain. You work hard and try to take care of something nice, but Mother Nature or those around you have other plans in store.

In the last year and a half, it has been hail damaged (while sitting in a carport), had to go back to another shop because the first shop couldn't match the paint, had to have the front bumper replaced after that due to hitting a dog or coyote on the way to work, and now it needs about $6000 in body work due to a deer actually hitting me about 75 yards away from my house.
Our 2016 CX-5 GT AWD had suffered 2 hail damages and both time the windshield was cracked. Each time I got $8,000+ from insurance with body panel replacement and repainting. But both time I opted to have paintless dent repair for hundreds of dents and I’m glad I made right decisions as nothing can beat the factory paint.

My insurance has been skyrocketed since then. And 3 new roofs in 5 years on my house due to the hail storm helped a lot to increase my insurance premium too!

Indeed, I do know how much the headlight costs! $2100 in Canada!

My last CX5 had a very rough go...a few months after buying it new, a new driver didn't yield and pulled in front of me at a set of lights, I smoked them.

img_4674-jpeg.241310

That was around $15k damage...

Then I hit a deer the following spring, another $7k damage.

I nearly passed out when the dealer made me an unsolicited generous trade offer on it ...I ended up getting top value for it.

Hoping your shop does good work...I had issues at both of the places I had work done.

Indeed, I do know how much the headlight costs! $2100 in Canada!
The LED headlights on Gen-1 CX-5 is cheaper, about $1,200. Luckily there’s a recall and we all can get a free set of replacement.

Just got a driver-side outer LED tail light assembly for $536.46 (MSRP) before tax as wife hit the wooden fense and broke it. I don’t want to have my insurance involved for this $1,000+ damage (including bumper and labor) as I don’t want my car insurance going up even more!

8F076C70-7A0D-4248-83CB-E748F8197A5A.jpeg

2AC1F995-CFC5-4815-88F7-774531E2503C.jpeg

76AD5F78-C595-4D55-A47B-9212C55EB33E.jpeg

Yow, I feel for those with these tales of woe. My insurance just went up 30%, and I've had no citations or claims! My 2020 Sig w/30k miles was hit lightly with hail recently, 4-5 very small dents, not enough for me to fix it or file a claim. Now that 3 yrs have passed (and warranty expired), I don't care much about the little scratches and dings.

Only reason ours has been in the body shop is my wife scrapping the garage when backing out then sideswiping the mailbox at the end of the driveway and she was completely sober.

This is my solution to hail damage:
1. Buy hood for a couple hundred dollars.
2. Paint hood for a couple hundred dollars.
3. Keep riding, because unless you're 6'7", you can't see the roof anyway.

My CX-5 has lots of..."character". I decided I no longer cared.

EDIT: Yeah basically I have a very narrow garage and have done plenty of slight scrapes myself:
Only reason ours has been in the body shop is my wife scrapping the garage when backing out then sideswiping the mailbox at the end of the driveway and she was completely sober.

Last edited:
Anyone's CX-5 just can't stay out of the body shop?

Have only been in the shop once. How that's happened, I'll never know, given how badly many people are driving these days.

An aggressive tailgater decided road raging was the next step up the ladder. My rear bumper and lift gate got dented/crinkled, but it all needed replacement, repainting, along with a couple of the sensors and all the disassembly/reassembly work. About $5K in total, though it didn't look bad at the time.

The mindless person who mistakenly imagined physics didn't apply to her, though? The front third of her car disappeared into a crumpled heap. I got mine repaired. She got a totaled car, probably now-exhorbitantly-priced car insurance, and is almost certainly seething at the "injustice" of this life. I hope she's happy with that, as it's apparently what she was seeking.

As for all the deer and other critters out there: I'm not your huckleberry, not no way, not nohow. 😂

Back