2023 CX-5 Bumper to Body uneven

GTXT23

LightFoot
About 6 mos and 12k into my 23 CX5 P -I was washing it and noted an uneven seam on the drivers side front bumper where it meets the quarter panel . It may be minor but stiil / The bumper is not steel and qp is so its a place where not only to different materials meet but the bumper is affixed to the front frame and qp to side . Nothing has hit the bumper so the gap looks right but the qp has about 1mm rise over the bumper making it slightly uneven. Im leaving it alone - but its possible one of these pieces is settling in and thats life - if you have a 23 - take a look on the drivers side and see if yours is off or on- pax side is perfect - thanks

Attachments

• AA5B9884-AD2A-4884-B905-06979F962DCB.jpeg
    AA5B9884-AD2A-4884-B905-06979F962DCB.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 94E71835-0497-48E4-BAB3-CA679AAD18B8.jpeg
    94E71835-0497-48E4-BAB3-CA679AAD18B8.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 76
You are looking too much at small things ;) same here.
Its not a Maybach its just a " japanese" vw car.
Probably the assembler had too much sake.

... slightly uneven.

Have a 2016.5, myself, and there are a couple of similar slight alignment and fitment issues with the body panels.

The hood aligns well enough along the right-rear area as it hands over the cowling, but not the left-rear area above the cowling. And the rear hatch is ever-so-slightly misaligned such that the gap along the left edge of the hatch (where it nearly meets the body) is a tad wider than the gap along the right edge. One of the doors has a very small width difference in the gap along the trailing edge of the door, a bit wider near the bottom of the door as compared to the top.

Again, "slight" is the operative word. Some panels and pieces have the ability to be slightly adjusted, but most just bolt on ... and that bolt's where it is, without much to be done about it. Chalk it up to slight differences in the manufacturing of parts, aging of tooling, which day of the week it gets made on, which worker does that specific assembly, minor torque/fit issues related to that specific part on that car (as compared to the next part or prior part, which got installed slightly differently).

Some panels and pieces rely on brackets, and pressure can be applied to the panel holding that bracket in such a way that the panel is moved a modest amount, deflecting enough that alignment's improved. But, many cannot be so deflected. Myself, I'm not a "body shop" person, so I haven't bothered to look into which parts could be adjusted, which deflected, and none of the minor alignment/fitment questions have bothered me enough to pay a body shop to "correct" them.

If this were a $350K McLaren, just come off the line in the past 5yrs, I'd probably be squalling about such little defects (off the as-engineered plans). But, perhaps not even then.

About 6 mos and 12k into my 23 CX5 P.
Im leaving it alone - but its possible one of these pieces is settling in and thats life - if you have a 23 - take a look on the drivers side and see if yours is off or on- pax side is perfect - thanks

Just thought I'd mention that all new Mazdas come with a 1 year, 12k "adjustment" warranty, for issues just like this one. It wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer to see if they can have a tech take a look. The tech might just pull the bumper off, bend/adjust a mounting point a bit, and pop the bumper back on. Worth a shot if it's worth your time.

As long as the panels aren't rubbing together, I don't think you have an issue.

I've noticed on my rig that the gaps between the hatch on the driver's and passenger sides are quite different.
1706108774660.png

Just thought I'd mention that all new Mazdas come with a 1 year, 12k "adjustment" warranty, for issues just like this one. It wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer to see if they can have a tech take a look. The tech might just pull the bumper off, bend/adjust a mounting point a bit, and pop the bumper back on. Worth a shot if it's worth your time.
Huh, the dealer has never mentioned that to me. Maybe I'll have them look at my gas door as it sags a bit.

I don't know....I would not trust the dealer to improve the fitment look. I could see them screwing something up when they try. But that's just me.

Back