At my wits end... *May contain complaints 😉

The OEM tires aren't garbage.
Lots of debate about that here ;)

My own initial foray into not-right-for-conditions tires was on a Miata, with a set of Dunop SP-8000 tires. Stellar grip during hot summers on pavement. Horrible, once the temps got down below 40ºF, even worse if it was damp or misty that morning. Deadly, in snow. But then, they were purpose-built high-performance summer tires, intended to be used summer only. And no amount of wishing would turn 'em into something else.

From all I've read, the Toyo A36 tires are much like that (though a 3-season variety).

Had a Subaru 4WD (hi/lo) wagon, back when, and it could go up most anything ... assuming it was shod with tires proper for the conditions. Went through many blizzards with the thing, but the tires were serious ice+snow types. Used the Nokian Hakkas on subsequent vehicles, and now the Nokian WR G4 all-weather tires on the CX-5. Haven't been stopped yet, in inclement weather. Though, ice still is Mother Nature's ace up the sleeve; I've yet to find any tire that actually is completely safe on ice, and I suppose there never will be any such thing short of studded+chains (or the "half-track" type vehicles such as snow plows at ski resorts).

One might say that snow+ice is the great equalizer. Not easy to get around that.

I love it that many more tire makers are coming out with legitimate all-season, all-weather type tires, ones with the 3PMSF designation and a siped tread at least moderately sufficient for the nasty stuff. Good to have some options instead of the two-sets-of-tires/wheels arrangement.

Back