Switchblade Keyfob

I guess I was under the impression that there was one with the same numbers, but something other than a Visteon.

In that case, I really don't know what's up. All my numbers match and it definitely does not work.

So you've got the following remote:

KPU41788
4238A-41788

It's a 4 button, and it doesn't work? (blowup)

This would be cool & all except that it gets you nowhere without having to have a seperate keychain for house keys & whatever other ones you need. It's the same thing as the oem P5 remote if you dangle those other keys you need off the mx-5 remote. Lot of cash just for the sake of having a different remote isn't it? Just not seeing any real benefits. Sure the keyfob/key fit better in your pocket but then you end up with 2 keychains to have your other keys. OK, the only benefit from that would be no swinging swaying keys marking up the steering console plastic..........I guess.

Last edited:
This would be cool & all except that it gets you nowhere without having to have a seperate keychain for house keys & whatever other ones you need. It's the same thing as the oem P5 remote if you dangle those other keys you need off the mx-5 remote. Lot of cash just for the sake of having a different remote isn't it? Just not seeing any real benefits. Sure the keyfob/key fit better in your pocket but then you end up with 2 keychains to have your other keys. OK, the only benefit from that would be no swinging swaying keys marking up the steering console plastic..........I guess.

But I already have my key and fob on a separate keychain. I carry so many keys for work that I don't really want to stress the ignition with the weight. Plus, I have used and just like the switchblade key better...I just don't have the coin...

So you've got the following remote:

KPU41788
4238A-41788

It's a 4 button, and it doesn't work? (blowup)

Correct. :(

The only place I would get one if from

http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com

It's expensive, but it will work...First time everytime...

I'm still looking for evidence this is the case besides you saying it will work. Has anyone else actually purchased theirs from OMP and had it work?

As for WHY I'd like one of these, it would reduce my keychain down to the switchblade and one house key. I'm kind of a minimalist / efficiency nazi, so that's way more appealing to me than it should be, but it's not $100 appealing so I should just let it go.

Correct. :(

I'm still looking for evidence this is the case besides you saying it will work. Has anyone else actually purchased theirs from OMP and had it work?

As for WHY I'd like one of these, it would reduce my keychain down to the switchblade and one house key. I'm kind of a minimalist / efficiency nazi, so that's way more appealing to me than it should be, but it's not $100 appealing so I should just let it go.

the dude that operates the parts counter at OMP ordered a whole bunch of remotes and tested each one on a protege5. if you have the cash, give him a call and he'll set you up.

O damn the pressure, I'll get the setup for my next mod. lol. Yeah, I carry only a few keys too but one by itself would be better than a big wad of them danglin around. I'll mostly do it to have 2 spare remotes instead of 1....& to have a cooler one.

Hey Warwick, I've got a question...I know you said that you have a remote with all the right numbers and it doesn't work...are you sure a) you programmed it correctly and b) the battery in it is good (or even that there's a battery in it). I'm just trying to figure out how the matching numbers don't work...it doesn't have anything to do with where you bought it, and I'm sure you've considered those things, but I just thought I would bring it up to be sure...

Is the 41788 key supposed to work on all Proteges? I have a 2003 LX, and I can't get it to work with it.

it won't work... mazdaspeeder tried it and it didn't work on his P5.... he ended up selling it to me and I got it to work on my 3

until someone actually PAYS the money for one from onlinemazdaparts, takes it apart and confirm the #s, I'll have to say everything posted in this thread so far are FALSE because the remote #s posted are ones that work with the 3, NOT the protege... the protege and 04-06 3s always had different stock remotes, it doesn't make sense that a flip key remote will work with either car when its clear it hasn't been this way with the stock ones!

I'm pretty sure bagman or somebody deleted the posts a long time ago because I remember reading that the MPV remote with power sliding doors (05 MPV) was able to work with the protege... I'm still trying to find the post but the search on this board is bad... so if someone wants to try it, go for it and let us know

till then, stfu about this 41788 s*** being able to work with the protege... it won't! nobody has ever said they bought the "kit" from onlinemazdaparts, so no one can confirm this... but based on experience so far, I believe what bagman sells is different or he has never sold one and no one is able to b****... finally, his memory could've been fuzzy when he posted saying it will work, but I swear that I saw a post of him/someone mentioning the 05 MPV s***

Back