Switchblade Key Fob Conversion for Protege5 (and older Mazdas)

Nitewing911

:
2003 Protege5
I just did a switchblade key fob conversion for my Protege5. If you have the older keyless entry, like the one below on the left, you simply take the internals of the original key fob and transfer them into the new one, get the key cut, and put it all together.

25062739319_3fcd6a37d8_b.jpg

This is the link to the item I bought off of AliExpress. It's only $7.25 each with free shipping, but since it's coming from China, it can take a month to arrive:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...odified-Flip-Remote-Key-Case/32328167933.html

This particular model doesn't have the panic button, which is fine since I never use mine. There are a whole bunch of various key fobs you can get, but this is the best looking in my opinion. I saw similar models that have the panic button, but I can't say for certain they'll work with the older keyless entry buttons. This one works for sure.

Here's what it looks like inside:

25430318275_6635115ce0_b.jpg

Again, there are no internal electronics. You have to remove the electronics from the old key fob and transfer them over. The electronics fit exactly as they should:

25311984022_a83e0d3da5_b.jpg

25430317195_403901e7ac_b.jpg

I got the key cut at Home Depot. The guy told me they usually don't cut keys that they don't sell, but he did me a favor this one time and cut it for free. Your mileage, of course, will vary. Getting everything put back together is a little bit tricky. You start with a spring, then put the button on top of the spring, and then slide the key blade over the button, lining up with the button and two "arms" you see in the picture below at the 10 and 6 positions. The below picture shows how it looks like when the spring, button, and key are all in position. BEFORE you snap the top shell of the key fob on top, you rotate the key blade assembly one revolution clockwise to add tension to the spring (otherwise the switchblade function won't work).

25430318825_d25702977f_b.jpg

Then you use the one screw to hold everything together. They include a fake Mazda sticker to cover the screw hole if you'd like, but I didn't bother with it.

The tolerances aren't as tight as I imagine an OEM key fob to be. The actual key part wiggles a bit and the whole assembly is made of plastic (except for the key itself and the loop at the bottom for a key ring), so there's a bit of flex when you start the car, but I can live certainly live with these nitpicks, especially at the price. The buttons have a solid feel, so that's nice. I bought two to have a backup set just in case.

Anyways, I'm happy with the conversion and I thought some of you may be interested.

I have recently done the same to replace an older version flip key that broke, I didn't put the sticker on either as it's better to be able to open up for battery changing etc.

Back