Removing a painted lip?

:
2008 TR Mazdaspeed 3
Hey guys, as you can clearly tell by my sig, I have a set of time attack Tenzo DC6s. Well, they're not in the best shape of their lives to be quite honest. I curbed one pretty badly and the red lip is starting to 'chip' off on two of the rims... I was wondering, since the red paint seems to be pretty fragile, if I could just take it off completely, leaving just the black wheel. Then I could touch up the curb marks and, tada, good as new. Any advice for this? I don't want to end up chipping/rubbing off half of the lip and find it's not working out right... haha, know what I mean? Thanks in advance and I hope I can get some good answers.

P.S. I was thinking of trying goof off or something like that since the paint seems to be fragile. I could try chipping at it, but it might damage the underlying black coat. I suspect a paint thinner or aircraft grade stripper will just strip away ALL the paint, leaving bare aluminum. Hrm... ideas?

Yep, spray paint them black and try to blend as good possible or you can have them professionally done, ie Powder coating and they'll beed blast them bare before they coat them.

Back