Hit A Curb With Our New 2024 CX-5 :(

I'd get the alignment checked. The only real adjustable angle is toe-in. you won't really notice a difference going down the road now but in a few thousand miles you might see feathering wear on the tread. Incidentally, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I hopped a curb after taking a short ride on a sheet of ice, slammed into and over a curb, was a rather violent experience. If you damaged a wheel, you most likely knocked the alignment out a tad.

I would hope our cars can go over a curb and not be destroyed so easy. Isn't that an ADVANTAGE to these vehicles? :D
depends on the curb and of course more important the angle..if head on or a shallow angle it should be no problem but if the car is sliding and the wheel impacts the curb at near 180° it can be bad :).

It's not THAT fragile. I don't baby mine over bumps and have gone 75K flawless miles.

It's not THAT fragile. I don't baby mine over bumps and have gone 75K flawless miles.
Not the same thing as hitting a curb. Your tires absorb the shock from bumps., a wheel doesn't absorb anything.

Definitely getting an alignment. Some shops, including Sears‘s offer. Free lifetime alignments. Hopefully you didn’t do any damage to the tie rods.

It’s one of the reasons I went with an SUV over a low profile car. Can’t tell you how many rims tires, and from bumpers were damaged in the tri-state area.

Definitely getting an alignment. Some shops, including Sears‘s offer. Free lifetime alignments. Hopefully you didn’t do any damage to the tie rods.
Sears automotive shops? I thought they all closed when Sears went bankrupt a few years ago. So much for those lifetime alignments and DieHard batteries.

Not the same thing as hitting a curb. Your tires absorb the shock from bumps., a wheel doesn't absorb anything.
I'll give you that. But I sincerely doubt OP needs an alignment..

Pet Peeve #255: People babying their SUV's or giant pickups. I have no qualms about driving OVER things...that's what I LIKE about an SUV. If you have to baby your SUV, you bought the wrong one.

Buddy bought a big honking pickup. I was following him somewhere. Cut through a parking lot and he practically comes to a stop before every speed bump. Thinks his F250000 or whatever can't take a speed bump? Commence merciless teasing...

Pet Peeve #255: People babying their SUV's or giant pickups. I have no qualms about driving OVER things...that's what I LIKE about an SUV. If you have to baby your SUV, you bought the wrong one.

Buddy bought a big honking pickup. I was following him somewhere. Cut through a parking lot and he practically comes to a stop before every speed bump. Thinks his F250000 or whatever can't take a speed bump? Commence merciless teasing...
maybe his F250 is sprung so stiff he doesn't care to jar his back? Or he didn't want to spill his beer? I go offroad a lot but I do slow for speed bumps.
tempImageYs6KyB.png

Guys the CX-5 is a car, not a truck. I don't think of it any differently than an AWD Mazda 6 hatch :) .

Agreed for the most part, but in most cases an alignment check is cheaper than having a to buy a prematurely worn tire. Just something I would do.

Really agree with the big truck thing. I've seen that many times and often wondered what was the point of all those big off road mods if it can't take a speed bump, you just have to shake your head....

Thanks for all the advice. Will consider getting an alignment check but in the past (years ago) when I had an alignment done, the car always drove worse! Always hate to have someone adjust things if the car rides fine.

Thanks for all the advice. Will consider getting an alignment check but in the past (years ago) when I had an alignment done, the car always drove worse! Always hate to have someone adjust things if the car rides fine.
This is why I never get an alignment unless there is a reason to do so, problem with car tracking straight or abnormal tire wear. Ain't broke don't fix.

Back