Just Purchased a 2024 CX-5 Carbon Turbo! Few questions!

:
2018 CX5
So today we traded on our 2018 CX5 NA 2.5 with 41K miles in for a CX5 Turbo.

Much seems the same but some is different. Few questions....

How well does the shiny trim along the wheels and bottom hold up?

I see it does not have USB A ports for thumb drives (our music is on them) What kind of adapter is needed?

Since its a turbo, what grade of gas do you guys use? 87? 89? 91? or does it matter.

The heads-up display...do you find it a distraction or get use to it?

Do the eBay Navigation cards work in the 2023 or 2024 CX5s?

Anything else that is new since 2018??

Thanks

any grade 87, 91 or 93 works. if you are going to really be into the throttle and want the extra 20 hp go with 91 or 93 if it is available. the HUD is my favorite feature. will always want it now after having it. this is my first car with it and I have been driving since the 70's. I am spoiled by hud. my fender trim and lower trim have held up fine the interior black piano trim is pretty easy to scratch. I have about 15000 miles in the last 9 months and the lower trim and fender trim look perfect still. I hand wash only and wash it often.

Thanks...I did check into it before the purchased and was surprised to read Mazda suggested 87, so wanted to see what you guys with the Turbo do!

did you look in your center console for the usb ports? my 23 has them there seems odd they would omit them.

I'm pretty sure they come with 2 USB ports. Check the infotainment screen where FM/AM/Sirius/Bluetooth is and see if there's a couple USB options.
You have to check around the cabin, they should be in the center console. My 16 has them under the screen where my 19 has them hidden in the center console along with the NAV slot.

The USB Ports are at the bottom front of the console but it’s deep and dark. Flash a light down there to see the ports and orientation. They are also near the SD Port slot for the Navigation feature which was your other question. eBay and Amazon cards should work immediately if you get the correct one. My 2023 uses the TD2K66EZ1 series cards.

Thanks for all the help!

I rechecked the car and the manual. In the rear seats center armrest that folds down they have 2 USB-A for charging only. In the center armrest up front, they have 2 USB-C (which I cannot even find in the manual) which appear to be for charging or music.

I've ordered 2 adapters as shown in the link above to connect my thumb drives to the USB-C ports up front.

No other USBs in the car.

Although it has wireless android auto, I've ordered an SD Navigation card off of Ebay. Says they are not upgradable anymore but should give maps that I suspect are a few years old. (would be good to have as a backup to Android Auto)

We'll see if it all works when everything comes in!

They don't "suggest 87". They specify that you won't get the maximum benefit of the turbo if you you use anything less than premium, but it won't hurt anything either.
They don't "suggest 87". They specify that you won't get the maximum benefit of the turbo if you you use anything less than premium, but it won't hurt anything either.
I've searched the manual and cannot find anything that states you improve performance with higher octane, and they just have a generic statement to use no less than 87.

But as you stated, a google search shows higher HP with higher octane (~225-->~250HP when moving from 87 to 93) but only over 4000 RPM. MPG supposedly slightly higher too but only by 1-2 MPG on premium.

I got a nav card off ebay and it works fine but of course can't be upgraded. Got it mostly for the HUD display info and back up when out of cell range.

The HUD is the bomb. Once you get used to it you'll love it, especially since it now shows nav info from the phone.

Gas wise I never feed it premium. I was happy with my 2020 NA so the extra power is nice but I don't feel the need for more power personally. Also if you use that turbo power a lot you'll find she's a thirsty girl.

I don't know what trim you had before but try pushing the dash lights brightness knob in and holding it for a couple of seconds. Every time you do that it will change the dash gauges to different setups.

As far as the gloss trim goes I'm in the same boat as you, very curious to see if it holds up.

Lastly since I have a Soul Red I had PPF put on the hood and nose. Those were the places my two previous SR's had quite a bit of chipping. SR is notorious for that, but I would probably do it no matter what the color if you're planning on keeping it long term.

The difference between the fuel octane is right on the spec sheet from Mazda.

1704074560992.png

1704074640945.png

I got a nav card off ebay and it works fine but of course can't be upgraded. Got it mostly for the HUD display info and back up when out of cell range.

The HUD is the bomb. Once you get used to it you'll love it, especially since it now shows nav info from the phone.

Gas wise I never feed it premium. I was happy with my 2020 NA so the extra power is nice but I don't feel the need for more power personally. Also if you use that turbo power a lot you'll find she's a thirsty girl.

I don't know what trim you had before but try pushing the dash lights brightness knob in and holding it for a couple of seconds. Every time you do that it will change the dash gauges to different setups.

As far as the gloss trim goes I'm in the same boat as you, very curious to see if it holds up.

Lastly since I have a Soul Red I had PPF put on the hood and nose. Those were the places my two previous SR's had quite a bit of chipping. SR is notorious for that, but I would probably do it no matter what the color if you're planning on keeping it l
You are right, the more I drive it the more I like the HUD. And I saw that yesterday where the navigation from the phone was on the HUD. Cool! I did see how pushing the brightness knob in changed the dash. I selected the second one. Thanks for your suggestions!

The difference between the fuel octane is right on the spec sheet from Mazda.

View attachment 324781
View attachment 324782
Good to know! I was looking in the manual! Nice that they tuned it to allow 87. So many car makers, such as the Germans, tune it where you are forced to use 93.

Back