Hit A Curb With Our New 2024 CX-5 :(

:
2018 CX5
So was driving our new 2024 CX5 Turbo Carbon Edition with black wheels and went over a curb at 5 mph. Gouged out a small chunk at the edge of the rim on the passenger front. (since it only had 400 miles on it, I went nuts!)

Seems to drive fine but do you think going over a curb would throw off the alignment??

Or since the CX5 is built for some "off roading" (it even has a setting for it now!) it's not a big deal?

Would you bother to check the alignment if it drives fine?

Thanks!

It's unlikely to have done anything more than cosmetic damage at that speed. If it tracks straight and there's no weird vibrations or anything like that at highway speeds, you're probably fine. Check to make sure there's no damage to the tire as well.

It drove fine at 55 MPH but going to take it up to 65 MPH today. Tire looks fine and just checked the pressure and its fine too.

post a photo of the damage..really watch for unusual tire wear. Might have it looked at as driving fast is not a good way to check for damage as if there is some kind of failure the results might not be great....:) most like at 5 mph you are fine depending on the angle you hit it.

I would move it to the back. Your car is now broken in, and you can stop parking in the far back of the lots! ☺️ (if it were me, I'd just have alignment done whenever you replace the tires)

post a photo of the damage..really watch for unusual tire wear. Might have it looked at as driving fast is not a good way to check for damage as if there is some kind of failure the results might not be great....:) most like at 5 mph you are fine depending on the angle you hit it.
Here are three pics. Damage is on the left side of the rim. Not sure how the curb caught it there since I went over and then down the curb. This is after some black touch up paint:

Attachments

• PXL_20240125_170258324.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240125_170258324.MP.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20240125_170004228.jpg
    PXL_20240125_170004228.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20240125_170025128.jpg
    PXL_20240125_170025128.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 113
I would move it to the back. Your car is now broken in, and you can stop parking in the far back of the lots! ☺️ (if it were me, I'd just have alignment done whenever you replace the tires)
You are right...always waiting for the first door ding or wheel scrap! Drives me crazy with a new ride.

The first thing I do on a new car is to get rid of the garbage oem tires and buy a new set of real tires that have a real rim protection built in. The oem tires have none. Then you most likely won't have a problem like this again. Sell the new take off tires to offset the cost of the new ones and have much less worry about parking next to curbs or wife driving etc. Really dumb of Mazda and other manufacturers to put sorry ass tires on. This is a Goodyear comfortdrive tire on my CX-9. Same factory size but with rim guard built in. Sorry for your bad luck!

Attachments

• 20240125_134435.jpg
    20240125_134435.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Ouch...although any damage sucks, you seemed to have gotten away pretty lucky as the damage is hard to see.
Some black touch up paint will make that pretty much disappear for anyone who doesn't know it's there!

Thanks. I would like to get rid of the OEM Toyo as soon as possible. On our 2018 cx5 they became really noisy after 25K miles. Tire rim protection would have likely helped.

I'll keep a watch on the tire...I have seen sidewall bubbles form in the past but only on goodyear tires.

The black touch up paint did the trick, and it is barely noticeable especially since it's on the lip of the rim.

Its ok. I got few of those myself and touch it whe black pen - not perfect but barely noticed from 1 feet.
Dont worry for the tire. The toyos are very rough and tough (the only benefit I guess).
The rim took the damage, not the tire.

Its ok. I got few of those myself and touch it whe black pen - not perfect but barely noticed from 1 feet.
Dont worry for the tire. The toyos are very rough and tough (the only benefit I guess).
The rim took the damage, not the tire.
Thanks. Not sure how the edge of the rim caught the curb because it seemed that I had just gone up and down over it. Just killed me with only ~400 miles on her!

I would hope our cars can go over a curb and not be destroyed so easy. Isn't that an ADVANTAGE to these vehicles? :D

Back