Possible PCV fix from PTP

So...my car started smoking pretty badly as the weather began to get warmer this past week. As a last ditch effort before potentially having to replace the turbo or go to a stealership to have some other BS diagnosed, I bought one of the new-gen PTP pills and installed it. As Tunersteve noticed, the fitment left something to be desired, but with a bit of finagling, I managed to get it installed. I drove the car for about 40 miles afterward and there was a bit of smoke for the first 10 minutes or so, and then it disappeared. I also tried letting the car sit overnight to do a proper "cold start" and let it idle for about 10 minutes to attempt to reproduce the smoking issue I'd been having. So far, so good. I haven't smelled any or seen any burning oil. Thanks PTP! The car also doesn't seem to be running any worse...it actually seems to be running slightly smoother since the install.

Last edited:
One of the things that i did consider with this was that the oil that might have 'pooled up' would still have to be burnt off. The only thing i can say for sure is that i did not notice any oil smell before i put the car up and after i installed the pill. I agree with the fitment issue, by the way. When i bring her out in spring i will pay close attention and let it idle for a long time just to see if i can make it smoke because i really did not have a good chance to make an honest statement. But of course i hope you have no more oil smoke Vansquish!

i let mine sit for 30 minutes today at idle and it didnt put out a puff of smoke.. i was pretty impressed.. considering that i have a downpipe and manifold i never let it sit at idle for more then a minute except on a cold startup but im going to be changing turbos soon anyways so i figured id give it a shot and see when it smokes.. and it doesnt. Plug/Pill FTW

i see you are noting as Mods, way too many. I was not aware that is possible! but that is exactly how many i want! lol

i see you are noting as Mods, way too many. I was not aware that is possible! but that is exactly how many i want! lol

well my sig ended up being too big if i listed them all..off the top of my head i couldnt list them all without looking at a printed list of my mods

yep i know. how many details does a fellow enthusiast need to know. it starts to sound like bragging or something, so i was just laughing about your mod list. i also am checking your site out. looks good so far. best wishes as a forum vendor!!

i let mine sit for 30 minutes today at idle and it didnt put out a puff of smoke.. i was pretty impressed.. considering that i have a downpipe and manifold i never let it sit at idle for more then a minute except on a cold startup but im going to be changing turbos soon anyways so i figured id give it a shot and see when it smokes.. and it doesnt. Plug/Pill FTW

That sounds good dude! I'm gonna try to order the V2 model from PTP to replicate what you have. Unfortunately, my Spd6 is smoking badly at idle around the 2-3 minute mark. I've just put in Mobil-1 5W-40 oil and an HP-2009 K&N oil filter in with 700 miles on it. Probably going to change to the new Rotella 5W-40 synthetic since some guys on here had good luck with it.

Oh yeah, I FKN HATE STEALERSHIPS!! Went to BROWN & WOOD Mazda today in GREENVILLE, NC and asked them what they could do to help me. The Mazda Service guy there gave me a half-assed answer to the whole "smoking" issue. He said that the CX-7 as well as the SPD6 was NEVER designed for 5W-30 and SYNTHETIC oil. He told me that using ANY kind of 5W-30 or FULL SYNTHETIC will destroy the engine. The fkd up thing was he as admitting this on behalf of Mazda but was unwilling to do anything to help me. What an Unremorseful FCK!! He also went on to say that I should replace the WHOLE PCV valve and look to spend some money doin git cause it's NOT under warranty.

Does anyone know a dealership I can go to around Greenville, NC that can help me with the PCV/smoking turbo issue???

Mazda recommends 5w40 full synthetic now until they come up with their elusive fix, so that dude doesn't know what he's talking bout. How could synthetic destroy the engine anyway??

Mazda recommends 5w40 full synthetic now until they come up with their elusive fix, so that dude doesn't know what he's talking bout. How could synthetic destroy the engine anyway??

Yeah, well that's what I thought since every veteran on here has been praising 5W-40. Going to a MazdaSpeed certified dealer on Monday to take care of this issue. Will keep everyone posted.

Dealerships are almost always making up the rules as they go along, which sucks. I had a great service writer at my dealership for awhile then his replacement would not even put aftermarket brake pads on for me. Is a shame that we have a purty darn good car but Mazdas representation in the service mostly sucks. Keep looking for a good one i guess. And good luck to you folks who have the smoking!

Yea. I dont get dealers. Have they ever heard the phrase do something right the first time.

recently bought this product and installed, the car no longer smokes. I too have doubts about diminished knock but no longer having soccer moms stare at the billowing chimmney behind my car is an improvement.

recently bought this product and installed, the car no longer smokes. I too have doubts about diminished knock but no longer having soccer moms stare at the billowing chimmney behind my car is an improvement.

Nice. It's good that this PTP thing works for someone. Is yours a V2?

Just purchased this after reading your reviews. I've been smoking for years. Just installed the ProtegeGarage reworked K04 turbo about 4000 miles ago and it was fine until just a few days ago when I started smoking again. Oil catch can and 40w oil made no difference. Really would be nice to be rid of this issue. I don't want to give up my catless downpipe.

umm i have a catless downpipe (Corksport) and no second cat. no smoke here and no burning oil smell with this PTP plug installed.. what other oil issue are you speaking of ??

ill break it down..

if your smoking, you get a catch can, install it properly and see if it clears the issue up.. if it doesnt then you have a choice to bring it back to the dealer to get it replaced (like steve did) or try the PTP fix and try 40w oil, if that doesnt work then your turbo seals are fried and you have 2 options.. having the dealer replace the turbo, or getting a reworked one, which Sgt Bryant did, and then he provided us info that he has put in the 40w oil and a catch can, so the only option he has before sending it back to ken is trying this plug out, which should help out.. the reason hes getting smoke again is because oil is getting past the turbo seals still, even after the reworked turbo.

if the plug doesnt work then he has to send it back to ken at PG or try this out

he could install a Pypes mini cat on the car shown at the bottom of the page here

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/mufflers.html

which may help create enough back pressure to hold the seals in place so he doesnt get any blow by.

Sgt Bryant please let us know the results, i believe you are the first 1 to come forward and say your still smoking with a catless DP after installing a reworked turbo..

Last edited:
just to be clear this piece does nothing to fix the catless DP issue.. this is a different kind of oil issue.. you might have both?? but, with no cats.. you will have smoke and smell exhaust.. i dont think this could possibly do anything to help that..

once again you're wrong. the smoking issue is the same regardless if you are catted or catless. its an issue with the stock pcv system and the ability to create vacuum in the crankcase to pull the oil out of the turbo. there are solutions such as oil catch cans, 5w40 oil and also upping the idle rpm because this will create a bit more vacuum in the crank case. the ptp pill helps because it creates more vacuum in the crankcase since at idle the air is pulled in through the valve cover into the crank case and then back into the intake manifold.

you shouldve seen what i posted in my post before i edited it.. (gossip) didnt want to get an infraction, but basically markspd6 quit talking out your ass.

Nice. It's good that this PTP thing works for someone. Is yours a V2?

I actually have no idea i just went on their website and ordered it a few days before that original post. Wish i could be more helpful but i was so fed up with the car smoking i saw a possible solution, saw the cost, and ran with it with little or no information otherwise.

Is there any way we could install a vacuum pump into the PCV system? Vacuum pumps are usually used in big race type motors (8 cyl) to keep the brake booster working on engines with extremely lopy idle's. I wonder if one can be hooked trough a catch can to the PVC but i'm not sure if it would work properly for our application.

Like this piece magically fixes the lack of cats??

Burning oil and a catless set-up are two different kinds of smoke/smelling issues.. This item obviously can only adress the oil pressure problems that cause burning oil.. Not the lack of cats?? That causes it's own smoke too!! These are two seperate but, related issues with completely different causes.. And we've had guys try these out here with no sucess.And since these cars smoke at stock are there different se-ups for stock vs. Modified engines?? Since obviously there would need to be more than one version of this part.. Or it would have to be adjustable?? Maybe there's a reason Mazda hasn't released this as a fix?? Maybe, It doesn't work..

Even tunersteve said he's dumping his.. Maybe you should call him stupid for saying so?? Great group here..

tunersteve dumped his because his turbo was replaced by the dealer. if i remember correctly once he got it installed he felt that the plug has no use anymore, so he took it off and to date hasent had any smoking issues, unlike Sgt Bryant.. .

Back