Possible PCV fix from PTP

Ive been running this for a few days. Still seeing knock up to 1.0 but nothing any higher since this install. Cant say anything about smoking since I have never had the issue. A good mod to have nonetheless.

so nothing good has came out of this?

like i said, eversince my dp ive been smoking ONLY at idle. if i give the car a little gas at idles it keeps it from smoking 99% of the time.

im looking into a oil catch can and possible reworked turbo but dunno if i wanna spend the money on the reworked turbo and save up for something bigger and better. BUT, if this stops the smoking it would be great and 25bucks is nothing. so..

can we purchase the revised pcv valve from mazda without having it getting worked on there?

A reworked K04 still has the same seal and oiling design as the one in your car. Buying a reworked may not fix your smoking issue.

Just to post an update on what I've seen from this: Absolutely nothing. With a 950rpm idle my car hasn't smoked in months. I did not see improvement in part-throttle knock. Perhaps the part-throttle knock that PTP was seeing was for different reasons though.

For anyone who is having issues with a smoking turbo, I would encourage you to spend the $25 on this. It may cure the smoking (which isn't really detrimental anyway) and give you a little piece of mind for next to nothing.

i received mine today.. not too bad of an install i did have to shave the green clip alittle to get it to fit over the part but nonetheless it took me 10 minutes.. drove around for alittle during school and then drove home afterwards.. no knock above 0.3 so far..and ive never had a smoking issue..very happy with it so far..(friday)

Are there any updates with the PCV fix? Is it worth it? I'm debating on picking it up or not. Also, can someone be specific on where exactly its installed too? Thanks.

I'm going to be taking mine out. I have both the V1 and V2 versions of this, and I see odd part throttle knock, as well as no improvement over what I was seeing without it installed.

In short, save your money. If you're going to do something, wait to hear what the official fix from Mazda is and go from there.

sorry for your loss!

you aren't going to get any from me cause my engine bay ate it. $25 down the drain. i did however request a sample from this place for a silicon end cap that i'm going to drill a hole the same size in and then i'll use that to put over the breather then put my hose over top that for the same principle. but not only did i lose it, when i was installing it it was way to loose.
I got mine from pt performance and they are also nice folks. On an aside, I have learned to beat the undertray for lost sockets, screws, wrenches loose change etc. They usually drop out.
My install was easy but the pill was a tight fit and i needed three hands to get the hose disconnected.
I have had oil smell for as long as i have had the TBE in place. But did not see smoke. Some friends have mentioned that it does. But i let the car idle for about ten minutes one morning by accident and s***, oil smoke a plenty at 48000 miles. Did it the next day too. but that was it. Three weeks later i installed the FIX. No smell, no smoke so far but i am not ready to say it works yet. Since i do not monitor sensors yet i can not report on that KR issue. I will let you folks know if anything occurs.

Last edited:
Any more updates on this? I am a little late to the game with it, didn't even know it came out.

i have different results..(yes)

who knows why?? still havent seen anything above 0.7 as far as KR goes..

weather my turbo seals will hold up with the addition of my Exhaust mani and downpipe and 5w40 oil remains to be seen..so far so good.

I'm getting the same results before and after, so I just took the piece out. I get small flares of knock when the car is warming up, but once it hits operating temp, the car won't see anything more than .4-.7. Save yourself $25

well i had my turbo replaced once already by mazda after i installed my test pipe. I installed my downpipe about 2 months ago and it wasnt smoking at first but yesterday i was idling for 15 minutes waiting for someone and the car started smoking badly. There's also been a burning oil smell coming from the engine bay. So i dont care if this helps with KR cause i dont really see any KR as it is, i'm more concerned if this fixes the whole smoke issue.

Well it has been a couple weeks since putting the little " fix" in place. I have been keeping my fingers crossed. I do not have the oil smell any more at all. I will run it hard this weekend if it ever stops raining! then, let it idle a good ten minutes. I will report what i see and smell. This is a fix for me not a pm so i should see/smell the difference. and my turbo has smoked heavily only twice after lenghty idle in 49000 miles. I am thinking the turbo is fine. I sure wish Mazda would have their engineers handle this properly though.

Everyone keeps saying wait for Mazda's official fix, is there definitive proof that they are working on one?

Everyone keeps saying wait for Mazda's official fix, is there definitive proof that they are working on one?

Yes there is. I posted it in this section as well. The PCV fix was delayed, but close to being complete from my sources at Mazda. Right now the biggest issue is those who had the 5w-40 oil change are coming up due for a second change, and Mazda hasn't decided what to do with them yet. I will post a parts list as soon as the info arrives.

Thanks Steve for doing the legwork on this, i am very interested. as i bet many folks have been or will be. This problem has been a severe blemish on the Speed 3/6 i think.

First off, Hi all!

This looks like an excellent forum and a very generous community, especially in terms of the wealth of knowledge here. I hope to see some of you around!

In any case I bought my '06 MS6 in September in Houston and drove it back to MI by which time it had about 46k on it, and it's been in the shop 3 times since then for various issues, but since the temperature finally dropped here this week, it's been smoking quite a bit. I've noticed it whenever I am in stop-and-go traffic for any length of time. It seems to dissipate to some extent when the car is warmed up (and I always wait until the temp gauge nudges off of its peg before I move the car). However, any time I actually get on the gas, be it at highway speeds, around town etc...I get a puff of white smoke when the turbo spools up. I haven't had a chance to do the Mazda TSB test yet, but as I'm due for an oil change, I think I'll try the 5w-40 and see how it goes.

Any other suggestions?

Welcome aboard!

The pcv fix from ptp is meant for smokey turbos. For speeds that smoke constantly. What your describing sounds normal to me. My car smokes during first idle then goes away. Sometimes I get some smoke going wot but people behind me tell me its a puff of black smoke. The fix is supposed to increase crank case pressures to where its more than the exhaust pressure. I can't go into detail but I know it is where it draws the oil back from the turbo more than without it.

There are people out there where this didn't help them any. But definetly get some 5w-40 oil. I have been running it for almost 20k miles now with no issues. I would also recommend the spin-on oil filter conversion. Makes changing a lot easier also you can put on larger filters.

Hi!

Any body has hear anything about the PVC fix from Mazda? I have GT 3071R and of course it does not smoke but the car always have oil smell.

JC

I bought this as a just in case. Didn't have a smoking turbo before. I don't think my car likes it though, car seems to be running a tad worse since install. Though it could just be coincidental.

Back