Fixed One Issue Another Came up - 2016 CX-5 Lifter knocking

Hey guys, appreciate any help; I looked around but didn’t see exactly this issue.

Wife let the oil run low (my fault too, I should’ve been checking). Lost power and poor idle with a CE light. I pulled P0015, P0017 codes. Sage advice said to check the VVT Solenoid so I pulled the valve cover off/solenoid out, checked it with a 9v battery (it actuated) and then throughly cleaned it out. After new seals, I put everything back together and did an oil change (0w-30).

This fixed the power loss and idle issue. No codes after driving ~5miles, BUT now there’s a lifter (I think?) knocking.

I’m a very much an amateur, but before I take it to a dealership it’d be nice to know if there are any low hanging fruit. I know this has something to do with the timing, lifter clearance, oil viscosity, etc.

Any help is appreciated,

Eric

That sounds like it could be a connecting rod journal that was starved of oil. If it is, your engine is toast I'm sad to say. I wouldn't drive it farther than a few miles to a professional mechanic that can listen and advise.

Upvote 0
Rod bearings ten to knock under load, main bearings tend to knock under floating or cruising conditions. Either or, sounds like a bearing problem. Hard to tell unless someone pokes around with a stehoscope to pin down where the noise is actually coming from. Go to a good mechanic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure sounds like a rod bearing. Happened to my kids old E36 BMW when the chain guide disintegrated and clogged the oil pump inlet filter. We had metal shavings all through the engine. I would advise not to start it at all.

Have it towed in. Maybe you'll get lucky and the damage will be limited.

Upvote 0
Did you examine the oil that you drained for the oil change? If not, you should take a careful look at it by putting it through a fine mesh strainer.

Upvote 0
You can certainly tell there isn't much demand for used 2.0L engines... 2.5L substantially more

As cheap as around $350 here

Upvote 0
Back