If you could change one thing...

I have a 2016 CX-5, and the one thing I would change is the noise dampening material for less noise. I believe some of the road noise comes from the tires, but have read that the newer models are quieter. I love everything about my CX-5. I test drove MANY vehicles before deciding on the CX-5, and they each had their own special quality that was outstanding. The CX-5 had the most features and best driving/handling for the money I had budgeted for a car. Zoom, Zoom!

Either better fuel economy OR more power.

The car's peppy enough, but I feel like I should be getting better FE. So if I could wave a magic wand, I'd take either more better mileage or more power for the mileage I get currently.

Not really much to complain about with this vehicle though. It's pretty damn good.

I agree, the car is peppy and pretty damn good! I think the nature of the smaller crossover (stands taller than a sedan) probably hurts the mileage.

Had a passenger yesterday and we are both overweight.

90+ mph effortlessly without even realizing. I was passing everybody on the highway.

And I dont get it. I'm higher elevation than most of you and it's an NA engine meaning I probably have less overall power than some of you.

I dont get it. (lol)

90+ mph effortlessly without even realizing. I was passing everybody on the highway.

And I dont get it. I'm higher elevation than most of you and it's an NA engine meaning I probably have less overall power than some of you.

I dont get it. (lol)
I agree CD, here in Utah there is no such thing as a flat road, I pull grades with a carfull and have no issues, constantly have to remind myself to slow down

I dont get it. (lol)
Of course I agree too but I just stay out of these conversations. Perfectly happy with the power I get at 620 feet above sea level here. [emoji16]
Driving my mil Cherokee again this weekend. Kind of funny how much slower it seems with the same ho torque figures.

One thing I would like is for the center console armrest to be longer/bigger. Its just too far behind making it almost useless. May as well make the interior felt lined too. Ive seen that for the 18 refresh the glove box got the felt line treatment, I like that, it makes less rattles and noises inside. I saw a 18 Subaru Outback and the center console is huge and felt lined inside.

Last edited:
Yeah, well hows that 2018 cx5 D doing in America? Rofl!

I don't think there is much demand for the CX5 D in America because of diesel prices. It would have to get > 40 mpg to be worth it.
But the X will run on standard gasoline.

They claim they will be rolling it out in 2019. But then again, how long have they been promising Apple Card Play?

I don't think there is much demand for the CX5 D in America because of diesel prices. It would have to get > 40 mpg to be worth it.
But the X will run on standard gasoline.

They claim they will be rolling it out in 2019. But then again, how long have they been promising Apple Card Play?
Even if the SkyActiv-X 2.0L SPCCI can be available in 2019 as "promised", are 188 hp and 170 lb-ft of torque gonna be enough?

There are mass market 250+ HP 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engines out now....

Doesn't sound like the skyactiv X 2.0L will come close to that. Octane rating and MPGs aside.

There are mass market 250+ HP 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engines out now....

Doesn't sound like the skyactiv X 2.0L will come close to that. Octane rating and MPGs aside.

Don't think that is what they are looking for.

Decent power/torque and actual real world fuel economy is what Mazda are aiming for

Still, there seems to be a market that wants more power, so it seems like Mazda would do well to bring that too.

Don't think that is what they are looking for.

Decent power/torque and actual real world fuel economy is what Mazda are aiming for

Either way, with Mazda's racing pedigree, they could certainly put out more powerful engines.

The CX5 will need a 2.5L skyactiv X.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 2.5 L X. Not sure what the point of putting a 2.0 L in would be.

Look at it this way

Currently base model 3's here get 2.0L. SP25 and above get 2.5L

Should do the same with SkyActiv-X

One can hope that is what is taking place.

While I am perfectly happy with my CX-5 and its power, one does feel Mazda is not being true to their former selves and their zoom zoom philosophy.

Back