If you could change one thing...

Probably because you're always the only one in your CX-5. But really, I would rather you not understand why other people say it is slow above 70, because once you understand, then you might think it is slow and you might not be happy that it is slow. If people don't think their CX-5 is slow, I sincerely think good for them.

A fairly recent experience I have is coming up behind a slow cargo truck on a two lane highway. I wanted to pass the truck before we get to a junction. A Ford Escape was still farther down, but coming up on the left lane, obviously cruising at a higher speed. I thought well I better pass this truck now or I might get stuck behind it. And so I proceeded to go WOT and tried to pass the truck. I peeled out from behind the truck at probably 65 mph or so and the full force of drag hit our car. Our CX-5 was taking awhile to gain speed and pass the truck. Meanwhile the Ford Escape was coming up behind me, getting closer and closer until such time that it was just waiting for us to pass the truck. I only had my wife and my nearly 2 year old kid in the car. During that passing attempt, I was wishing for a lot more horsepower. That is not representative of everyone's driving experience for sure. But most highway speed limits are now 70 mph around Texas, not to mention the 80 mph roads you'll encounter on road trips. In my driving environment, it could use some more power above 70 mph.

Disclaimer: I drive a mildly tuned Speed3 that probably makes over 300 lb-ft of torque at 4k RPM. Surely that affects my judgment when doing highway passing maneuvers.

Exactly. Passing is scary in this thing. You can't just get around someone.

Yeah, well hows that 2018 cx5 D doing in America? Rofl!

When you guys get it, hopefully it's the updated SkyActiv D as:

"It adds a new two-stage twin turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, it adopts Rapid Multi-stage Combustion, with a new stepped egg-profile combustion chamber in the piston, and ultra-high-response multi-hole piezo injectors. Combined with the benefits of the turbocharger, the engine’s compression ratio increases from 14.0:1 to 14.4:1. A new water flow management system has also been added, quickening engine warm-up to help achieve better real-world fuel economy."

The above is our version now.

If I could change one thing about my 2018, it would probably be the infotainment system. It is just too complex for most people. I am very tech savvy and could barely figure out how to turn on the radio. And doing simple things like changing radio station is just too complex. The default selections are not the most frequently used. I actually like the command knob, but the hard buttons are mapped to dumb things. If I set it up for Bluetooth and leave it, it is fine. I also hate the turn on lag and that you can't mute it or turn it off while booting.
Personally I find then power of the CX-5 to be perfectly adequate. I think it is pretty peppy, but does not have tremendous power if you floor it. But realistically, who drives that way and how often?

When you guys get it, hopefully it's the updated SkyActiv D as:

"It adds a new two-stage twin turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, it adopts Rapid Multi-stage Combustion, with a new stepped egg-profile combustion chamber in the piston, and ultra-high-response multi-hole piezo injectors. Combined with the benefits of the turbocharger, the engine’s compression ratio increases from 14.0:1 to 14.4:1. A new water flow management system has also been added, quickening engine warm-up to help achieve better real-world fuel economy."

The above is our version now.

I honestly don't think we will. Why would we? Diesel is 50-75 cents more a gallon in many areas. That's 25% more money. For equal performance. Noone buying a CUV is going to be planning to tow anything bigger than a jet-ski except maybe 0.0001% of the buyers, and Mazda has made it very obvious with the new CX5 that they are trying to appeal to the masses, not the 0.0001%. Notice how it's slower, handles worse, but it is posher and sells like a beast? Mazda finally "gets it".

I honestly don't think we will. Why would we? Diesel is 50-75 cents more a gallon in many areas. That's 25% more money. For equal performance. Noone buying a CUV is going to be planning to tow anything bigger than a jet-ski except maybe 0.0001% of the buyers, and Mazda has made it very obvious with the new CX5 that they are trying to appeal to the masses, not the 0.0001%. Notice how it's slower, handles worse, but it is posher and sells like a beast? Mazda finally "gets it".
If you get this update, should be faster than original KF SkyActiv D and it's more fuel efficient too

Right. Significantly so in both areas I thought.

No performance figures just yet but here a comparison on fuel efficiencies:

KF SkyActiv D:- 129KW(173HP) / 420NM(310FTLBS):

Urban: 7.0 L/100KM (33.60 USMPG)
Extra Urban: 5.5 L/100KM (42.77 USMPG)
Combined: 6.0 L/100KM (39.20 USMPG)

KF "G Spec" SkyActiv D:- 140KW(188HP) / 450NM(332FTLBS):

Urban: 6.5 L/100KM (36.19 USMPG)
Extra Urban: 5.2 L/100KM (45.23 USMPG)
Combined: 5.7 L/100KM (41.27 USMPG)

Note: For the 2018 update, the model remains KF but it's known as "G Spec" to differentiate from original KF released in 2017.

Last edited:
I’d like an infotainment system that has reliable, consistent, dependable BT connectivity.

I'm a year into ownership and haven't had a problem with bluetooth connectivity. Perhaps phone related? I've got an LG G5 which is far from the world's most awesome and advanced phone, but it connects fine and stays connected. I do wish it hooked up quicker when I start the car up though.

Oh, actually one thing bluetooth and/or phone related... I can no longer answer incoming calls. This worked without issue for the longest time, but now it seem like the phone connects and then hangs up immediately. The head unit is still on the same firmware, so my best guess is something's up with the phone. Sucks. Outgoing calls work perfectly. <shrug>

Change one thing...

Either better fuel economy OR more power.

The car's peppy enough, but I feel like I should be getting better FE. So if I could wave a magic wand, I'd take either more better mileage or more power for the mileage I get currently.

Not really much to complain about with this vehicle though. It's pretty damn good.

I've had 4 phones in my CX-5 ownership and no bluetooth connection issues over the last 5 years.

Droid Razr M
Droid Turbo
Droid Turbo 2
Galaxy S9+

I'm a year into ownership and haven't had a problem with bluetooth connectivity. Perhaps phone related? I've got an LG G5 which is far from the world's most awesome and advanced phone, but it connects fine and stays connected. I do wish it hooked up quicker when I start the car up though.

Oh, actually one thing bluetooth and/or phone related... I can no longer answer incoming calls. This worked without issue for the longest time, but now it seem like the phone connects and then hangs up immediately. The head unit is still on the same firmware, so my best guess is something's up with the phone. Sucks. Outgoing calls work perfectly. <shrug>

I have an iPhone SE and it worked perfectly in the Passat I owned before the CX-5. Now I dare not forget to take my phone out of my pocket or connectivity will be intermittent, if it connects to begin with. Sometimes it connects okay, and looks like its going to restart where it left off, but then doesnt do anything. Not something to lose sleep over, but it should just be better.

I had a BT issue with my Moto phone. To the point where I bought a used LG to use and it worked fine. Got Nougat on the Motorola and it as flawless, and has been ever since. Sold the LG. Phones are more the issue, ime.

Back