Mazda Parts you can get cheaper than at the dealer thread

Like spark plugs between the OEM and NGK, the price difference on serpentine belt tensioner between the OEM and INA is huge. We don’t know why the additional Mazda imprint or logo on the OEM parts cost that much. But from my knowledge of price structures between venders and manufactures, there must be a reason for the huge price difference. And these parts offered by OEM and venders are NOT “identical” somewhere with such huge price difference.

OEM = NGK. NGK's part number is printed right on the box.

The only thing that is different is the Mazda branded paperboard box and the price.

We don’t know why the additional Mazda imprint or logo on the OEM parts cost that much

I have an idea why.

OEM = NGK. NGK's part number is printed right on the box.

The only thing that is different is the Mazda branded paperboard box and the price.

I have an idea why.
There’s a fixed formula to calculate the price structure on automobile parts by the manufacture. IMO a car company won’t just increase the profit margin dramatically ONLY on spark plugs and belt tensioner but not on all other parts such as OEM oil filters and air filters. That’s why I believe there’s something more to the OEM spark plugs and belt tensioner which only Mazda knows, although the NGK and INA are selling the “compatible” aftermarket parts for much lower price.

That’s why I’m anxious to find out who made the OEM “Value” spark plugs where the price is compatible to aftermarket spark plugs.

@Chocolate maybe you should edit the OP to include a list of parts/links at the very top of the thread, so that people don't have to scroll through the whole thing to find what's been posted.

Currently using the NKG plugs, INA tensioner, and the OEM oil control valve from partsouq in our CX5.

I posted this resource in another thread recently.. this general knowledge document already has a lot of information logged in it. It would be much more useful if users just updated this document and used it as the main reference.

I posted this resource in another thread recently.. this general knowledge document already has a lot of information logged in it. It would be much more useful if users just updated this document and used it as the main reference.
It would nice if it could be a 'sticky' so it is easier to find.

There’s a fixed formula to calculate the price structure on automobile parts by the manufacture. IMO a car company won’t just increase the profit margin dramatically ONLY on spark plugs and belt tensioner but not on all other parts such as OEM oil filters and air filters. That’s why I believe there’s something more to the OEM spark plugs and belt tensioner which only Mazda knows, although the NGK and INA are selling the “compatible” aftermarket parts for much lower price.

That’s why I’m anxious to find out who made the OEM “Value” spark plugs where the price is compatible to aftermarket spark plugs.

But if the actual manufacturer part number is exactly the same, it is the same part.

Why would NGK sell two different units using the same part number.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Some good info there, but it's view only and the person with access hasn't posted in a year and half. So I or anyone else on the forum can't add any part numbers or anything.

But you can right here.

Some good info there, but it's view only and the person with access hasn't posted in a year and half. So I or anyone else on the forum can't add any part numbers or anything.

But you can right here.

You can also post any updates or parts not listed in the document, into that thread. Makes a lot more sense to have the document and posts related to that document in the same thread, rather than having that existing document and thread, and then having this one, which is attempting to do the same thing. It's more efficient to use what we already have instead of trying to start something new, which will inevitably result in a lot of redundant info that's already been covered in the resource thread.

It would nice if it could be a 'sticky' so it is easier to find.

It is.. kind of. There is a sticky that directs you to Mazda CX-5 Resources, where we list links to important CX-5 related information (primarily DIYs and how-to guides, but also things like the General Knowledge and Information sharing document as well). This is a fairly new "feature" that was only implemented when the new forum software was rolled out, so it can be easy to miss for a lot of users, but that it why I try to remind others that its there for us to build upon and use.

Much of the appeal of the online forum experience is being able to search and reference older information and consolidate it to make it more accessible.

Where do you get this coupon for parts? Is it from Mazda or dealer-specific? (not talking about the online dealer web stores)
I have found only for accessories :(

Amazon and ebay prices seem more expensive lately
At the dealer website under the "specials" or "service" tab. They're not always available.

If you want to merge the threads, that's fine with me. I'd just merge the posts and merge the thread titles as well to maintain the specific purpose of this thread.

I recently used the NGK versions of the Mazda plugs. Driven about 2,000 miles with them and the performance and economy are the same as the originals. I have a '16 CX-5 sport.

Just a note, I have purchased "inexpensive" Amazon NGK plugs and after receiving them I googled the topic of counterfeit plugs, upon very close examination, I realized they were indeed counterfeit. I now buy Denso and NGK products from Rock Auto only.

Just a note, I have purchased "inexpensive" Amazon NGK plugs and after receiving them I googled the topic of counterfeit plugs, upon very close examination, I realized they were indeed counterfeit. I now buy Denso and NGK products from Rock Auto only.
I believe if you go to NGK's site Advance Auto is an authorized dealer. If you go to AA website they will match Rock Auto's price if you chat with their customer service. I did this recently and then picked the plugs up at my local AA store.

I believe if you go to NGK's site Advance Auto is an authorized dealer. If you go to AA website they will match Rock Auto's price if you chat with their customer service. I did this recently and then picked the plugs up at my local AA store.
And saved the expensive shipping by Rock Auto (but added the sales tax ⋯).

Another frequently needed part is:

Control Valve Solenoid - Mazda (PE01-14-420A)

View attachment 320141

Unfortunately the MSRP was $188.72 in Feb. 2022 now is $345.05!!!

We can try this international OEM parts seller partsouq.com in Dubai where several members had placed the order before. The shipping is in a week, and the price for this item is much lower.
How and when would a person know when this part requires replacement?

Back