How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

I just did this mod a few minutes ago. It was really, really easy, thanks to all the great feedback. I did it like drew72ca's method, with a minor change - I connected the red wire from the relay to the blue ignition wire - a thick 12-guage wire coming down from the steering column, next to a black wire of same thickness. Using a test light I confirmed this wire is only hot when the ignition is on.

The result for me is the fogs come on under control of the fog-light switch, totally independent of the headlights, parking lights, high-beams. But now the fogs only come on when the ignition is "ON". They do not light when the key is in the "ACC" position. This allows me to listen to the radio without having the lights on by mistake.

i messed up somewhere...this is what I did

cut the red wire
cut the green/black wire
taped up the red wire that leads into the car
stripped red wire connected to fog lamp switch
stripped grn/blk wire ends (2)
twisted red and grn/blk wires coming from switch
inserted twisted wire in one end of splicer and grn/blk wire in other end and crimped them tight

results:
Fogs on with parking lights
Fogs won't come on with lowbeam or high beam

HELP

I didn't touch any green/black wires. I followed drew72ca with my small exception noted in my last post. Here are Drew's instructions:

1. Cut the red wire on the relay
2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (Drew used the cig lighter, I used the thick blue ignition wire)
3. Cut the red/white wire on the fog switch
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

I would mend the green/black wires you cut and try following these directions.

solomr2 said:
I didn't touch any green/black wires. I followed drew72ca with my small exception noted in my last post. Here are Drew's instructions:

2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (Drew used the cig lighter, I used the thick blue ignition wire)
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

I would mend the green/black wires you cut and try following these directions.
thanx!! I'll do that after (drive) today

I just did the original fog mod. Fairly easy and I love the look. I spent maybe 15 minutes on it. Good write up.

I did the original mod in the install bay where I work along with the window mod...took a total of like maybe 10 min tops. Great write ups on both how to's. I like it myself since I have a alarm/remote starter, now the fogs are on when I come out to the car or if the alarm goes off.

PR5Matt said:
How do I wire the fogs to be on with my low beams (not always on)?
dude, read the 1st post......

Where is de relay located??

solomr2 said:
I just did this mod a few minutes ago. It was really, really easy, thanks to all the great feedback. I did it like drew72ca's method, with a minor change - I connected the red wire from the relay to the blue ignition wire - a thick 12-guage wire coming down from the steering column, next to a black wire of same thickness. Using a test light I confirmed this wire is only hot when the ignition is on.

The result for me is the fogs come on under control of the fog-light switch, totally independent of the headlights, parking lights, high-beams. But now the fogs only come on when the ignition is "ON". They do not light when the key is in the "ACC" position. This allows me to listen to the radio without having the lights on by mistake.

Can you tell me where is located the fog lamps relay?? thanks

dude, reading the whole thread might help...........

relay is located under steering wheel panel (to the left). Read 1st couple of posts. Im sure its described...

wow, this was ez, even easier than the window mod, and THAT was easy

great write upS everybody (2thumbs)

I dd the black green wire thing . it is working but when i use my high beam the fogs turn off. i tried the red wire diagram it seems it does not work , or just i got confused. which diagram are we talking about US or canada?this is what i did on the red wire diagram : cut the red from the switch ground it, then the red from the relay i hooked it up on acc. and wala nothing happend .I tried the geen wire and works .

You shouldn't need to touch the green/black wires. I have mine wired so they shine only when the ignition is on, but they are totally independent of parking lights, low/high beams, etc. And the fog switch is still functional, so I can shut them off whenever I want. Here is the way I wired mine;

2. Connect the red wire from the relay to a 12V switched source (Drew72ca used the cig lighter, I used the thick blue ignition wire next to the steering column)
4. Connect the red/white wire from the switch to ground anywhere.

I hope this helps.

Planning to put neons on interior .

I was planning on putting on neons under the seats and under the dash.Put i can't figure out where to tap the wires, i would like to work the neons when i open the car, then it lights up like the average dome light . the thing is I installed an 8" monitor replacing the dome light . so i cant see when it dark.i tried to wire it with the original wiring for the dome light,i tried using a test light and there is no constant power. i need help

hmmmm...I did the original mod on the 1st page, and it's not working. Now my fogs don't work at all...I made the extra with with two female connectors and one male connector, and plugged it in like this:

[fog light switch]---------------(male)-------------------[fog light relay]

the male connector is plugged into the green/black wire from the fog switch

the red wire from the fog light relay is taped off to the side.

why isn't this working?

fog light for 03 es protege

Here I have read through the whole forum and found so many different set ups. I want to know if some can confirm a specific set up.
I want to be able to:
1. use the stock switch
2. only have the fog lights turn on when I turn on my headlights or parking lights
2. have the fog lights stay on when the high beams are on.

Is there a way to do this set up. Also if anyone can tell me if the fog lights on a protege es uses the same harnes as the fog lights on a p5. Thank you

Back