CX-5 Observations on changes from 2020 to 2024

:
W WA
:
2024 CX-5 Premium
I just traded in my 2020 GT for a 2024 Premium, an equivalent trim package. Here are a few differences that I've noticed so far.
  • Better infotainment system. The screen is larger and has higher resolution. Everything loads faster, audio begins playing almost as soon as ignition is turned on. Switching to CarPlay is faster. This is a significant upgrade in my opinion.
  • Better backup camera. As above, the screen is larger and has higher resolution.
  • No fog lights. This was a bit perplexing but from what I can tell, fog lights have been removed from all CX5 trim levels. The salesperson told me that the fog lights were now integrated into the headlights but I've seen nothing to indicate that this is true. There is no switch for fog lights and they aren't mentioned in the manual. The fog lights on the 2020 weren't great but they did illuminate the shoulders of the road and I liked to use them when driving at night when there might be wildlife present.
  • Additional Off Road driving mode. I haven't yet used this but I suspect it is the same as Normal mode with TCS turned off. There is no TCS On/Off button on the 2024 as there was on my 2020.
  • The front console USB ports are USB-C and they are always powered on. I like the upgrade to USB-C but not sure about the always-on feature. There is now a 12V socket in the front console that is only on when the ignition is on so one could put a USB adapter there to get a USB-A port or if there is an accessory for which always-on is not desired.
  • There is no cylinder deactivation. There is an EPS estimated 2 mpg hit from not having cylinder deactivation, will be interesting to see what the real world difference is. It will also be interesting to learn the details of this temporary change due to a shortage of certain parts. E.g. if all the CD hardware is in place and just disabled in software or if the hardware is replaced (different cylinder head, etc).
There are other differences, mostly styling, but these are the things I noticed right away. All in all it's amazing how little has changed on this model in 4 years.

We just moved from a 2018 to a 2024 Turbo Carbon. Noticed everything you mentioned above plus the drive is quieter, the heads-up display is really useful, and the ventilated seats will come in handy during out hot South Carolina summers. Acceleration is much improved with the Turbo as expected, and hopefully the cracked heads of the NA 2.5L will be something that is no longer a concern.

Good luck with your new ride!

• The front console USB ports are USB-C and they are always powered on. I like the upgrade to USB-C but not sure about the always-on feature. There is now a 12V socket in the front console that is only on when the ignition is on so one could put a USB adapter there to get a USB-A port or if there is an accessory for which always-on is not desired.
  • There is no cylinder deactivation. There is an EPS estimated 2 mpg hit from not having cylinder deactivation, will be interesting to see what the real world difference is. It will also be interesting to learn the details of this temporary change due to a shortage of certain parts. E.g. if all the CD hardware is in place and just disabled in software or if the hardware is replaced (different cylinder head, etc).
These last two points make me slightly disappointed that I didn't wait until the '24 models to arrive on the lot. I especially prefer the body-color cladding. Though when I heard the NA models would get stop-start, I was satisfied with my '23, until I saw that they shipped builds without that and CD. I was miffed.

Then I realized the value of my trade-in would have been far less than what the dealer gave.

Back