Guide LED Floodlights instead of dim stock fogs (Protege5)

I got my hands on some LED floodlights that install where the stock fogs go. It does require some bending of the stock mounts, but otherwise they fit well and are much brighter than even the stock Hi-beams
Here is the link to the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

This is a guide on my method and I am not responsible for any damage

1. remove stock fog lights and housing

2 . Remove the fog light housing mount. You will bend this later to accommodate the LEDs

3. snip off the stock connectors on both the stock and new LEDs

4. securely wire the stock connector to the aftermarket LED

5. test the lights while they are not bolted on the car. You may need to change polarity if they do not turn on

6. bend the stock mount to the diagram below. Make sure they are mirrored, since the bolt is offset. You may need to angle the lower piece upwards a bit to get the correct position for the light. The upper diagram is as viewed from the top before bending and the lower is as viewed from the side after bending and on the car
protege led mount.png

7. Adjust everything to your liking and you are good to go

Optional: do this modification to allow floodlight use even with high beams on. Keep an eye out for minor parasitic draw, though.
BB6DA3C9-D29F-4DC7-A799-43692A237E8C.jpeg
1829787C-D234-4D7E-BD2E-C1CE8849A6B1.jpeg

And beware that many LEDs look brighter to the eye but do not project very far. I fell for that trap when I had a previous vehicle. I had replaced the regular headlight bulbs with LEDS and then got a vehicle inspection (required every year in Virginia) whereby my LEDS were failed as they were not strong enough. You have to be very careful to get bulbs that work properly. Some LEDS burn hotter and can melt the housing you have so you have to be careful of the heat issue.

And beware that many LEDs look brighter to the eye but do not project very far. I fell for that trap when I had a previous vehicle. I had replaced the regular headlight bulbs with LEDS and then got a vehicle inspection (required every year in Virginia) whereby my LEDS were failed as they were not strong enough. You have to be very careful to get bulbs that work properly. Some LEDS burn hotter and can melt the housing you have so you have to be
Here is them in action. From what I’ve seen they dissipate heat pretty well. These photos were taken at twilight so they may not show the full brightness

Attachments

• 3C5E29EF-DE8C-4349-B06B-9D892CC972E8.jpeg
    3C5E29EF-DE8C-4349-B06B-9D892CC972E8.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
  • E1FFC8D7-1CEB-4287-ABA9-2B89CEE7B269.jpeg
    E1FFC8D7-1CEB-4287-ABA9-2B89CEE7B269.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 38
Looking good. The clear white LEDs look clean and almost stock on your black car. At least compared to my silver P5 with the amber version of those lights.

Now we need some pictures of the car from the outside with the lights on!

20231121_153444.jpg

Nice! I was almost about to get those exact ones and have seen them on other P5s. I would guess they are just as bright and are obviously cheaper than the ones I went with.

I am a perfectionist though and the offset/smaller fitment in the stock fog light positions made me realize It would bother me too much to live with those since they are 4.5" in diameter. Just a personal preference thing though. Good to have functional options at all price points.

Mine are 5.5" diameter I believe and they're still a little small but don't bother me too much.
original_c70532bd-2427-4961-b1f0-328da6c2620a_20231022_162750.jpg

Back