How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Yeah I see that, I think I'll just try snipping that mofo and see if it works. According to the drawings, you can put an on/off switch in there so if you cut it completely you should be turning them off permanently.

Yeah I tried it and that shizzle don't work, I tried a number of things and it appears there is no way to cut out the DRL's completely. Any suggestions?

BTW: Whoever said this is a 10 minute job must be a genious. Right now I can't feel any of the muscles in my back or neck from all the twisting my body in ways it shouldn't twist trying to access those wires!

eazier than lil kim on the roof-eaze

Thanks drew72ca, bumble G, sttl013, 1stMP#inNH, the academy, _________ (insert yer name if I forgot ya). (cheers2)

I can toggle my fogs too even with the high beams! Yay! :)

I wouldn't say it's a 5 minute job. I guess it depends on the method (stoned)

drew72ca said:
I did it! Using Bumble G's schematic really helped. For U.S. cars it's a little different, but pretty simple. Look at his schematic and ignore the part about the DRL. Basically, there are two wires you need to work with...the red wire on the relay and the red/white wire on the switch. The red wire on the relay is where it gets the 12V to activate the relay and activate the fog lights. The red/white wire, on the switch, is where the circuit gets its ground. On U.S. cars, this wire goes through the headlight lever to make a ground when in low beam and remove the ground in high beam. So, here's what you do:

1. Cut the red wire on the relay
2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (I piggybacked off my cigarette lighter so the lights can be active with the ignition)
3. Cut the red/white wire on the switch
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

The way I did it, my fog lights now will come on with my ignition and the switch still works to enable and disable. The lights work independent of the conditions of the headlights. If you want to go even further, you can try to find a power source to tap into for the red wire on the relay that only provides power when the engine is running, but this way was pretty simple and foolproof. The only thing you need to remember with the way I did it is that if the key is on (in acc, on) the fog lights will be on if the switch is on.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do it.

Andy

andyfatsax said:
BTW: Whoever said this is a 10 minute job must be a genious.
Why thank you! Actually it was just a bit less, but I didn't have to worry about the DRL's. I was just doing the "Independant of the headlights" thing, as mine is not equipped with DRL's. Not bad for a 15 min break period.....Smoke, foglight mod, smoke, back to work...........Also installed my under-dash neons on break, but a different night. I love being there when the manager isn't!!

Yeah man, cdn cars have the DRL plauge, I really don't give a rats about the fogs, all I want is to cut out the damn DRL's cause my HID's are freaking out! I tried everything and nothing seems to work. Guess I will have to visit a pro!

That sucks, man. What exactly do you mean by "freaking out"? I guess since they're not meant to be on all the time, they try to fight the signal from the DRL? Hope you get it worked out.

Just did the mod, and works like a charm. I found it was easiest to follow the instructions on the 1st page. All those tool lists and step by steps just confused me...

Definately an easy mod!

Ok, so I cut the solid red wire at the relay, I bring that cut wire up to the green/black wire. Then when I turn on my DL, my headlights come on, and my fogs wont even with the headlight switch on. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please take a picture.

I have detailed pictures in my post above

Bass Addict said:
Ok, so I cut the solid red wire at the relay, I bring that cut wire up to the green/black wire. Then when I turn on my DL, my headlights come on, and my fogs wont even with the headlight switch on. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please take a picture.

I swear that was the biggest pain in the ass! I bought some connectors and they didnt wanna stay in the harness then you cant find any that are brass or gold like the stock ones. So you could goto plug it in and it would push the connector out. There not spade connectors the only ones that were called spade were the fork lookin ones. They r just male and female terminal connectors. I hope the stock connectors would stay in now.

I feel I need to update this really quick.

First, you don't have to touch the fog light switch to do this mod. You can do it all by supplying the relay with the power source of your choice (always on, ignition only, etc). Cut the red wire on the relay, and attach the power source wire.

Second, someone mentioned the ignition on wire is the blue wire coming out of the key switch. This is incorrect. It is the wire opposite the blue wire. See the attached wiring diagram. The blue wire is 1B.

edited: If you don't ground the red/white wire on the switch, if you activate the brights, the fogs will turn off, and whatever your power wire is connected to will now have +12 volts (this is because of the red/white wire being connected to the brights somewhere).

Attachments

• Ignition switch.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
I found the best way to do this is just to cut the red wire on the fog terminal. Then use heat shrink crimp connector to connect it to your new wire. Then just use another crimp connector to connect all three.

yeah!! i did it yeah i did it yeah i did it yeah i did it... anyways... i just cut the 2 wires taped eitehr end and crimped the otehr ones where they needed to be, thats it... works fine :)

Fog Light Mod is a cinch!

I did the fog light mod using the spade connectors so it easy to undo later if needed. Thanks for the how-to!! Worked like a charm and it looks nice. Got it done in under an hour. I ended up purchasing the connectors at my local Meijer store in the automotive section. I am an electronics techinician by trade so this was nothing for me, but for anyone with a little patience it's an easy mod to do. Check out the pics at my website for the end results.

My car webpage

None of the spade connectors i found at the store wanted to stay in the sockets and i ended causin more harm then good they all didnt snap in right. Cant say i didnt have the right size either cause i bought about every size they had. So it took me awhile runnin all over the place for connectors i would of rather just cut the one wire and connected it to the other. Not like some1 is ever gonna get back there and look. It would also be a nicer install imo and a better connection.

Back