Hello 2012+ Mazda5 Owners!

2012 Grand Touring, 6 speed manual, luxury package
Pearl white with black leather
Purchased in Ajax, Ontario Canada on April 9.
0 kms - waiting to pick it up.

Congrats! Didn't realize you could buy them in Canada with 0KM. In US they ALWAYS seem to have 1-2 minimum miles on them.

It very likely will not have 0kms. It will be driven around a port and loading docks at least on the trip from factory to showroom.

Our 5 had 7km on it when we picked it up, if i recall.

Did that brake dust issue ever settle down, or do you still get a lot? Ours only has 50km on it and already I see alot of black dust on the rims. Accompanied by a slight burning odor when it comes home at night. Now having said all that, its the wife doing the driving, but i dont think she is a hard braker.
Just wondered if these discs have a breaking in period or something. Maybe its fallout from the factory in Japan...
Yep, the window sticker.

The 5 got it's first fill-up today. 21 MPG. Trip computer was showing 23 MPG. Averaging exactly one more MPG on the same commute as our '03 Town and Country. I expect the MPGs to improve once everything wears in and loosens up a bit.

Surprised at the amount of brake dust after 300 miles. The fronts almost look like they're painted flat black.

Did that brake dust issue ever settle down, or do you still get a lot? Ours only has 50km on it and already I see alot of black dust on the rims. Accompanied by a slight burning odor when it comes home at night. Now having said all that, its the wife doing the driving, but i dont think she is a hard braker.
Just wondered if these discs have a breaking in period or something. Maybe its fallout from the factory in Japan...

The first thousand miles saw extreme brake dust, from the pads wearing in and my wife's driving style. No burning odor. At 3k miles now and it is better. I'll put up with brake dust to have solid pedal with good modulation, which the MZ5 has. Still nowhere near as much brake dust as some German cars in the family, though.

We have other GErman/British cars-tons of brake dust.

Mazda 5 has no brake dust in comparison...typical of Japanese cars.

^^ I have actually been checking out other cars on the road, etc. and definitely less dust on our rims than others even during break-in period. I was parked next to a Cayenne this morning and there was enough dust on the wheels that at first i thought I was looking at gun-metal rims, but realized they were supposed to be silver. Then i looked at ours and smiled.

Cheers

Last edited:
2012 Mazda5 Sport MT, just passed 5,000 miles.
Purchased in Hillsboro, OR at Royal Moore Mazda.

I have been following used 2012 prices...most dealers asking more than what most us paid here new

So after waiting two weeks for delivery of our car, our dealership informed us that there are no more white GTs with the luxury package and the manual transmission at Mazda's compound or dealer inventory in Ontario and Mazda Japan is not making any more since they will be starting production of the 2013 MY. The only one left in any inventory and reasonably close was in Quebec and would have to pay an additional $1,400 to get it here (transportation plus a dealer holding fee). If we changed the colour or got automatic, there would be no problem.
Sufficed to say we were a bit disappointed but we were glad that the dealership worked so hard for us and treated us really well.

Since my wife's car was on it's last legs, we looked for other options and ended up buying a used white 2008 GT with leather, sunroof and an extended comprehensive warranty from the same dealership. Now she's happy and I'm happy, plus maybe in a few years we'll pick up another M5 with the Skyactive engine.

So, here' my new specs....(I'll be chillin' in the 06-10 forums) Cheers.

2008 Grand Touring, 5 speed manual, luxury package
Pearl white with tan leather
Purchased in Ajax, Ontario Canada on April 27.
49,800kms.

Very good, I envy people that drive by in previous model M5's, nice looking M5 overall. Mechanically, and partially interior wise, the same car. I would love to see a Skyactive engine and standard options in GT trim level in the future. Also, I am hoping Mazda that can offer power sliding doors like Europe and Asia in the North America as well.
So after waiting two weeks for delivery of our car, our dealership informed us that there are no more white GTs with the luxury package and the manual transmission at Mazda's compound or dealer inventory in Ontario and Mazda Japan is not making any more since they will be starting production of the 2013 MY. The only one left in any inventory and reasonably close was in Quebec and would have to pay an additional $1,400 to get it here (transportation plus a dealer holding fee). If we changed the colour or got automatic, there would be no problem.
Sufficed to say we were a bit disappointed but we were glad that the dealership worked so hard for us and treated us really well.

Since my wife's car was on it's last legs, we looked for other options and ended up buying a used white 2008 GT with leather, sunroof and an extended comprehensive warranty from the same dealership. Now she's happy and I'm happy, plus maybe in a few years we'll pick up another M5 with the Skyactive engine.

So, here' my new specs....(I'll be chillin' in the 06-10 forums) Cheers.

2008 Grand Touring, 5 speed manual, luxury package
Pearl white with tan leather
Purchased in Ajax, Ontario Canada on April 27.
49,800kms.

Very good, I envy people that drive by in previous model M5's, nice looking M5 overall. Mechanically, and partially interior wise, the same car. I would love to see a Skyactive engine and standard options in GT trim level in the future. Also, I am hoping Mazda that can offer power sliding doors like Europe and Asia in the North America as well.

Although we love the design of the M5 since 2006 and even more with the 2008 refresh, we were really warming up to the 2012 refresh (even the tail lights). We were also looking forward to get the more powerful yet more fuel efficient 2.5 motor and the 6 speed tranny. I think i'll mostly miss the much nicer dashboard and steering wheel.

To make up for the loss of OEM HIDs and Mazda reintroducing spin on oil filters, I'm planning for these conversions on our car.

Rob here 808 State: 2012 Mazda 5 Sport / Liquid Silver with black interior
Purchased at CUTTER Mazda Honolulu April 2012 for $28,000 out the door!!!!!!!
Car for trade-in: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Currently has 190 miles.

For $28,000 the vehicle has no: Fog lights, side sills, roof deck spoiler, HID, wiper sensors,
sunroof or moonroof, leather interior, cargo net, 17 in' wheels,
mud guards, stainless steel exhaust pipe.

So you can imagine a 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring with all these features out the freakin door for $60,000 in Honolulu.!!!!!!

2012 Mazda 5 touring
metropolitan gray
24 miles, put on 8 during the test drive :)
20k out the door

Traded in a PT Cruiser - massive difference, from handling to the interior

Hello! Just discovered your site...finally a great resource for our Mazda 5.

We've had our 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring since May of 2012, and it's been a great van all around, save one issue with the fuel tank vapor pressure sensor. After the headache of getting it resolved, it's been smooth sailing. My wife and I have put over 14000 miles on it so far, and it fits our two kids and all our stuff nicely.

wpid-IMAG0166.jpg

Handles corners nicely compared to the over-bloated competition, in my opinion; best part about it. Biggest complaint is the windshield glare which is one of the worst I've ever dealt with on any vehicle.

Got ours on Memorial Day. Metro gray sport with automatic trans. Dealer was offering $2500 off so we only paid about $18,800. We're really happy with the purchase so far and feel like we got TONS of car for the money. We looked at the Mazda 3 but the hatchback I wanted was going to cost about $1K more and I couldn't justify that! Love my MAV (multi-activity vehicle)! My son loves having a choice of seats in back!

Cool! Welcome to the site, same 5 as mine, except mine's a GT. Great car nevertheless. I see more and more 5's on the road now, mostly the current model. I do see the 1st and 2nd generation from time to time. We have two Mazdas; I was a staunch VW fan for many years and finally made the switch to Mazda last year and never looked back. May be in for another Mazda in a few years, thinking about the CX5 AWD. But we'll see how these do first. Welcome to the Forum, lots of fine folks here!
Hello! Just discovered your site...finally a great resource for our Mazda 5.

We've had our 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring since May of 2012, and it's been a great van all around, save one issue with the fuel tank vapor pressure sensor. After the headache of getting it resolved, it's been smooth sailing. My wife and I have put over 14000 miles on it so far, and it fits our two kids and all our stuff nicely.

wpid-IMAG0166.jpg

Handles corners nicely compared to the over-bloated competition, in my opinion; best part about it. Biggest complaint is the windshield glare which is one of the worst I've ever dealt with on any vehicle.

2012 Mazda 5 Touring
Clear Water Blue
2 miles, when I picked it up....
Still waiting to get my OEM auto-dimming mirror installed by the dealer

& Retiring my 1994 Integra RS

Back