Finally diving into the carputing world

Okay, so I've got thign sinto their final layout, and mostly tucked away and such. Had them thisway since last week around this time actually. IN the meantime went to a meet over in seattle, and it survived the 500mile roadtrip near-flawlessly. M yonly real problem was with cards falling out seeing as I don't have a traditional case with "bolt in" slots to secure cards across the other end. the only card that realyl droppedout was my WIFi which isn't allthat neccessary, but the computer did strange random things after everytime that happened aswell. GPS is nice, but microsoft streets and trips is NOT 7" touchscreen friendly, and I'm gonna need to find an external-mountable anteanna, thsi running a usb cord up the dash bit ain't cutting it.

At anyrate, for pics explanation... umm well there's my dash, in all of it's primered glory. It's soon to be removed and hopefully prettied up in quick order. I really wanted to keep some of the original definition and lines to it, which actually wound up being harder than it would've to "flatten" it more instead of sinking the face in a bit. I'm also pretty sure i'm gonna try to keep the black surround at all costs. I really like the way it looks. A little more intended and a little less "custom"

The computer itself is mounted on the pass side rear seatback, sothat it can be folded down and accessed additionally and not really visible, it's mounted on rails sothat the whole unit cna be loosened with 3 allenbolts and removed from the car for doing more in-depth monkeying.

Also, as you can see, USB hub hacked into the console. before you wince, It previously had a big gouge right there from wher ea half-finished kickpod assembly's screw drug across it heavily. so this was simply a cleaner deeper version of the original... It's a 7port hub, 2 are underneath and run to my touchscreen, and external dvd/cdrw drive that's jsut sorta wedged betweent he seats fornow. THe other slots on top are filled with GPS mouse, bluetooth, flashdrive, and keyboard USB. (the 7th port is on the side facing the pass seat, mildly accessable if you REALLY want at it)

Mostly I was quite amazed at how clean-ish everything managed to turnout. and I'm not rlaly done yet. the hub's getting an aluminum trimplate, and my screen and silver int trim pieces are all gonna get a freshened "dull aluminum" paintjob.

Attachments

• P1030167.JPG
    P1030167.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 488
  • P1030187.JPG
    P1030187.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 508
  • P1030174.JPG
    P1030174.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 448
  • P1030181.JPG
    P1030181.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 325
  • P1030183.JPG
    P1030183.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Yea I was kinda figuring I'll do a gps on one side of my fm antenna, and a Sirius on the other... as soon as someone cracks into the sirius code to make it carputer-friendly... ifnot, I'm almost considering XM.

Eitherway, gps software is my biggest concern. spendy stuff to drop some scratch on not to like. I guess I coulduse mapmonkey and just grab maps form whatever I assume. At that, I kinda hting fugawi's cool. based entirely on the name alone... *heh* Fugawi....

I got the Rikaline USB receiver off eBay. I haven't used it in the car yet, since I'm still working on the carPC, but I've had it hanging out my bedroom window and it has held up to the weather.

As far as software, I've been playing around with MS Mappoint 2004. It integrates well with RoadRunner, but again is a little pricey, but can be found cheaper on eBay than say Destinator or iGuidance.

kingvitamin said:
I got the Rikaline USB receiver off eBay. I haven't used it in the car yet, since I'm still working on the carPC, but I've had it hanging out my bedroom window and it has held up to the weather.

As far as software, I've been playing around with MS Mappoint 2004. It integrates well with RoadRunner, but again is a little pricey, but can be found cheaper on eBay than say Destinator or iGuidance.

mappoint 2004 is alright. . .i got it for free with my msdn license so that made it worth it. . . . i personally use destinator and routis though since i don't like how mappoint messes up your routing if you have a route and get off the highway

the rikaline usb reciever works fine for me. . i have it mounted above my rearview mirror on the inside of the windshield. . .seets 7-10 sattlies on a clear day and 4-5 when its torrential downpours. . . .sometimes its weird though that it sees like 7-8 sats but isn't locked on any of them

Hey so I realized that I never reall yposted any completed pics. I've got my screen prettymuch how i want it now. LOTS of sanding primering sanding bondoing sanding primering sanding painting sanding, etc...
IMG_0437.jpg

At anyrate, this's been inplace for about a month now. and sofar I'm prettysure that I do NOT realyl like the blue. YES it matches my car but it ties into precisely NOTHING on the interior and I'm not sure that I could imcorporate more without getting gawdy.
also, there's a bit of scratches around the buttons leftover form cleaning them out. I'll eventualy pull it, go blackwith my screen surround, etc. but for nwo it's bene in and working great, nad looks fine. I could nitpick at it all I want but the truth of the matter is the tiny little dips and inperfections that you notice when working onit are nonapparant in-car and I can live with that.
IMG_0435.jpg

yeayeayea... It's in the works. Hoping to make an aluminum trimplate at school. Just kind of waiting for some freedom for playtime with a mill.

what did you use for XM? I'm guessing HU, but if there is SW availble I'd be interested.

nice setup.. I was going to do it, but ran into money problems. I may still yet.

nope straight throughthe computer using RoadRunner and a hacked up old mac printercable. (one of the few with the proper pin configuration for the XMD tuner box) converted into a serialcable as per instructions on mp3car.com and a bit of investigative wire-chasing. (I seriosuly jsut threw out my napkin-diagram of it yesterday)

Been running flawlessly all this time. I had a couple of overheating issues at the peak of some 110degree summerdays in a big black parkinglot at school, but beyond that, it's been a daily functional thing.

I fully take it for granted anymore. Until things like my recent roadtrip to montana. Endless music ontap, GPS when you don't know where you are, and howfar the next gas station is, and e-mail to keep in touch along the way freakin OWNS roadtrips.

Odd it comes up really, I've actually pulled it from my car just today to measure it up and finally make a more complete, durable and streamlined case for it.

If you have overheating issues there are numerous ways that you could pipe in air from the A/C vents. If it's mounted under the seat the rear floor vent is right there. If it's mounted in the dash you could probably drill a hole in one of the vents and connect a fan to blow air in. Just some ideas.

I need to do some research on this. Talking about everyone else's setups has got me thinking about what I would want out of a carputer.

I know what you mean, I start reading the forum just to get some ideas and advice for a sound system and now I'm looking at a complete overhaul with a carputer. Oh well I'm addicted to toys so I just can't wait but it seems like everyday theres a new option for what I can do to make it look stock, more functional or more secure.

the biggest issue is after sitting in a hot parkinglot, once I'm inthecar and have been driving for a bit, the temp drops, and it's just fine. Also it's not really the hugest of issues, and I generally jus disconnect power when it's thathot, then turn it on after car's cooled off a bit.

And, it is true, in the year since I did mine there's alot of advancements, though I still think I'm plenty fine. Make sure you guys keep efficiency in mind if you're considering it. 12v power supplies aren't super big on the juice. Also, you really don't need huge computing power for a car. mine's prettymuch overkill on all fronts.

FYI, In my research I found out that the Creative SB Audigy cards and the M-Audio Reference 7.1 card have 24-bit DACs and I think 2v outputs. So car-puters can have audiophile sound quality.

Back