PSA regarding the JB4: Don't get the Bluetooth module wet!

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Posting this in the Lounge as I'm sure it applies to any model that the JB4 can be installed on.

About a week ago, I decided to clean my engine bay, and posted about it here. This was the first time cleaning the engine bay since installing the JB4. I drove the car for two days after the cleaning, but on the third day, I was greeted with a Check Engine light and a bunch of system errors (Smart Brake Support, Traction Control, etc.). The engine was also running pretty rough, and trying to drive the car was impossible because the throttle would barely respond.

I figured I'd use the JB4 app to read the codes and try to clear them, and change the map settings back to Map0 to disable the JB4 and see if that would change anything. I open the app, hit Connect.. and I get an error that says No Device Found. Try again, same thing. So I disconnect the JB4 OBD2 connection and plug in my cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle that I use with Torque. It connects and I'm able to pull the code, which is P0123 - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input. I thought maybe disconnecting the Sprint Booster I had installed might resolve the issue, so I did that. No change.

Finally I decided to just uninstall the JB4 because we needed the car to be drivable for a cabin trip the next day. After uninstalling the JB4 (connections were all tight and looked fine with little to no corrosion in the connectors) and buttoning everything back up, the car started up just fine, with only the CEL still remaining. I cleared it with Torque and drove to the cabin with no issues.

When I got back from the cabin, I contacted Burger support and explained the situation, and they asked me to send photos of the top and bottom of the control board, which I sent yesterday. The board looked fine, but I'm no electrician. After sending the pictures, while waiting for a response, I figured I'd try installing the JB4 again to see if the problem was still there. After install, the same issues occurred, with the same problem of not being able to connect to the JB4 via the app. I'm hoping that I can just get a replacement Bluetooth module from Burger, replace it, and go right back to enjoying it, but we'll see what Burger says. These units do have 5-year warranties, but I don't know if water damage or the Bluetooth module is covered. Being the second owner of this JB4, I also don't know if that warranty is transferable. I guess we'll see.

20230828_225825.jpg

20230828_225921.jpg

One thing to note is that my JB4 came with a nice metal enclosure, and is built very well with a rubber gasket that goes almost all the way around. The harnesses all funnel into one rubber grommet that appears to do a great job of preventing water from getting into the enclosure from that end.

20230828_225957.jpg

On the other end (right side), is the Bluetooth module. The hole that the Bluetooth module wiring comes out of does not have a grommet, and water can get in that way. That said, I didn't notice any water inside the JB4, even on that side. The Bluetooth module itself is not weatherproof as there is no seal or grommet for the hole in the plastic casing, so water can very easily get inside and contact the control board. I figured this was what was causing the "No Device Found" error in the app when I was trying to connect to the JB4 on my phone, which may have potentially caused the other problems as well.

20230828_230035.jpg

While I had the JB4 open, I decided to wrap the Bluetooth module wire where it comes out of the enclosure with several layers of teflon tape for added water protection. I didn't take a pic of this but I'll try to remember to post one later. If the Bluetooth module ended up working again when I tested it, I would have wrapped the entire module with teflon tape, then dipped it in some liquid Plastidip to ensure water wouldn't get inside again. If I'm able to get a new module that corrects the issue, I'll be doing that with the new one before it is installed.

Alrighty, sorry for a late update, but after sending the photos to Burger and doing some additional troubleshooting to narrow down the issue, I had to mail the unit back to them for repair. Took about a week and a half for them to receive it, but when they did, they confirmed the problem, which was that the Bluetooth module had water damage. They said that they didn't find any issues with the rest of the JB4's functions, but they replaced the circuit board anyway, which was nice. They probably had the unit for only a day or two, so a nice and quick turnaround time. The unit was then shipped back to me, which took about a week, and I received it in the mail a couple of days ago (Saturday).

When I got it back, I decided to add a bit of extra protection to hopefully protect it from any more water damage issues in the future. I took the housing cover off, and added a few layers of teflon tape to the gasket on one end, and the Bluetooth module cable on the other. This was probably not necessary as there were no signs of water inside the JB4 when I opened it up the first time, but it couldn't hurt. Here you can see the new circuit board and the teflon tape I added.

20231001_211728.jpg

20231001_212928.jpg

I then proceeded to wrap the entire Bluetooth module in teflon tape, then dipped it in liquid Plastidip. This may have been a bit overkill, but I just didn't want to risk water getting into the Bluetooth module and damaging it again.

20231001_215401.jpg

Now I just have to wait for a nice day to reinstall everything. Good news is that I've gotten pretty good at removing and reinstalling the front bumper.

Burger was great with getting everything resolved, very fast turnaround and overall pretty happy with the customer service!

Back