Finally diving into the carputing world

Poseur said:
I take it your computer's in-dash or upfront somewhere then? I'm looking at having to usb-adapt things to make it work running behind my backseat. Still hope to get somethign in-dash atleast.

Andyea, seems the the xenarcs are the way to go. might as well do it right.

Ohyea, got some toys today. *G*

Yeah, this is hiding behind my Xenarc. :) I didn't want anything big or that I'd have to remove for autox. So far I'm the only Protege nutty enough to try and cram it all in there. Sounds like yours is coming along, can't wait to see it once you have it all installed.

M10000%20Vertical.jpg

wow, in-dash, impressive.

I was hoping initially to get a stealthy install, but between beign cheap and wanting cool features, etc. I woudn up with a fillsize atx bastard... ohwell.

speaking of the monstrosity... I've got a functional case. This is the basis of it. Should be a bit prettier eventually, but fornow this keeps things solid and mildly protected. There's protective film on the polished aluminum sides, and of course led's and plexiglass, The harddrive rack thing is temporary until I get my HDD fan setup, and I know what height everything needs to be to mateup with my plexi cover.

That's a AC PSU inplace until I get everything loaded up and ready to go into the car. At which point my precious opus goes in.. On that note, you can see that there's rails onthe bottom, I've got mating ones bolted to my pass side rear seatback.Perhaps 3/4" angleiron is overkill, but I want it solid, yet semi-removeable...

Attachments

• P1030133.JPG
    P1030133.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 152
  • P1030137.JPG
    P1030137.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 182
  • P1030139.JPG
    P1030139.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 180
ahyes springbreak means playtime and me up at 6am playing with bios.... the good news is everything new seems to work.

thebad news. the old Harddrive IS indeed toast. *ugh* stupid thing... why isn't there anyplace open at 6am to sell me a harddrive...

Attachments

• P1030140.JPG
    P1030140.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 177
and the stupidity continues....

So having a screen up in the dash means there's nomore room for my precious eclipse that I shall own until it dies, and then I shall find a new one, or perhaps buy the other one we'v ehad in our display at the shop for awhile now.. long enough that they ley me borrow it overnight to testfit without losing all of my settings. Between both, that's $1200 of headunit right there kids....

Attachments

• P1030143.JPG
    P1030143.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 165
  • P1030144.JPG
    P1030144.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 165
  • P1030146.JPG
    P1030146.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 222
haha man , great pics.

looks familiar!
(but of course you told me about the eclipses digital sex input ;))
IM003990.JPG

props dude

man seems like big system to be running. But Hope it is running ok. I am running my shuttle, with power inverter, with a power down controller, still awaiting on a new screen though, and i am awaiting my new bezel so i can vaccum mold a full carbon fiber bezel. What what matthew.. Haha, but it looks good man.

ghostwhisper you molding the screen into the bezel then vacum molding and making it all CF? thas kinda cool

Well I am at least trying , I have done some other molded pieces, via vaccuming, it is a lengthy process, but if done right it will look incredible. I dont care what people say, it is the only way to properly manipulate carbon fiber, If it goes well I might do my sub box, and frame for my carputer and amps. But still in like stage 2. I have all the materials, but just have to get the time to do it.

So with a carputer, how does one solve the start up problem? Do you have to wait like 5 mins after turning on before the system is usable? What if you go shopping like at several stores and have to be in and out the car constanly. On...off...on...off...on...off, man, that would whoop my inpatient ass! But if you leave it on standby/sleep, does it not drain the battery quickly?

Windows 95 starts up pretty quickly. However, it only supports FAT16 file systems which limits you to 2GB partitions. If you look hard you can find a service pack that allows you to install onto FAT32 file systems. Since you won't be browsing the internet with your carputer on a regular basis, security isn't too much of an issue.

linux will start up way faster than a recent windows, and you wouldn't have to use outdated win95

win95? meh.

if you have a power supply that allows so, set it for a 10 minute delay timer if you always make multiple quick trips to stores or something...

standby/sleep will heavily drain your battery in a day.

mine starts up ~27 seconds including BIOS start time (which is way long :( ). Thats fast enough for me.

yea mine starts up in about 20-30 sec from hibernation. . . .my shutdown controller is barbaric to say the least (but i know it'll always work as opposed to microprocessor stuff and simple to fix if a component breaks)

i just have relays on RC circuits to set the time delays. . etc

opus baby opus... ;) even cooler, remote start, and I'm wiring in a relay to my psu switch sothat it's on with either ign or acc on (remote start runs ign on acc off) so theoretically I can bootup before I get to my car.... we;ll see how that works in practice we're all theoretical withme sofar. but HEY IT'S ALIVE!!!

Here's the glitches I've had to work around sofar..

The halfway decentish seeming 160gb western digital caviar drive I was planning on using that I'd had in my tower before one crash that has been since set aside is apparantly indeed gone, liked to click at me.

Incase anyone's ever had problems, apparantly xp doesn't like to load off of cdrw drives. so after trying to kick-start by xcopying some files off of a win 98 floppy and a bit of cussing and alot of searching, I learned this, and after finding out the "spare" drives I've had laying around are dead, I had to borrow one...

Just about the time I got windows loaded, hdd partitioned, everything playing nice, my BRAND NEW hardrive takes a crap on me.. fortunatley that's one of the few parts I bought locally, yay same day exchanges...

at anyrate here I am again, thistime It looks like I'm in good shape... and WOW xenarc bezels fit into P5 bezels NICELY... the top and bottom are very snug but you cna push 'em through it's just a tad wide, so with a cut and a snip and a little shave we'll be glassedin in notime.

Attachments

• P1030147.JPG
    P1030147.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 146
  • P1030149.JPG
    P1030149.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 156
  • P1030148.JPG
    P1030148.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 182
you going to be molding that b**** in?

I made sure to get some deep cycle battery, and a capacitor, and I set my shutdown controller to 20 minutes, and with practiclly all my serivces to a bare minmum, of 21, and hibernate set too 4 minutes, it works well, but I havent set everything properly up. So everything is out now. I am looking for a amp and new sub, I am running my stock deck again, so i need a good couple days to finish the whole project. But your project looks like it is coming together quite well.

Last edited:
Poseur said:
opus baby opus... ;) even cooler, remote start, and I'm wiring in a relay to my psu switch sothat it's on with either ign or acc on (remote start runs ign on acc off) so theoretically I can bootup before I get to my car.... we;ll see how that works in practice we're all theoretical withme sofar. but HEY IT'S ALIVE!!!

Here's the glitches I've had to work around sofar..

The halfway decentish seeming 160gb western digital caviar drive I was planning on using that I'd had in my tower before one crash that has been since set aside is apparantly indeed gone, liked to click at me.

Incase anyone's ever had problems, apparantly xp doesn't like to load off of cdrw drives. so after trying to kick-start by xcopying some files off of a win 98 floppy and a bit of cussing and alot of searching, I learned this, and after finding out the "spare" drives I've had laying around are dead, I had to borrow one...

Just about the time I got windows loaded, hdd partitioned, everything playing nice, my BRAND NEW hardrive takes a crap on me.. fortunatley that's one of the few parts I bought locally, yay same day exchanges...

at anyrate here I am again, thistime It looks like I'm in good shape... and WOW xenarc bezels fit into P5 bezels NICELY... the top and bottom are very snug but you cna push 'em through it's just a tad wide, so with a cut and a snip and a little shave we'll be glassedin in notime.

yea the xenarc bezel fits nice. . i want to redo mine again with a spare bezel i have since a new xenarc casing is only like 15 bux its worth another shot

as with the remote start on the carputer. . i have that on mine since it was wired to an acc line that goes high when remote start is activated its a nice feature. . but i don't like blasting my music when im not there so its kinda weird if i forget to turn my music off before i leave my car. . what im doing now is wiring the power switch to a relay that will be controlled by the aux channel (trunk release) button on my hornet 564t so i can turn it on when im actually walking out of my car since its only like 20 sec to turn it on from hibernate it works

Back