Finally diving into the carputing world

chuyler1 said:
If you have overheating issues there are numerous ways that you could pipe in air from the A/C vents. If it's mounted under the seat the rear floor vent is right there. If it's mounted in the dash you could probably drill a hole in one of the vents and connect a fan to blow air in. Just some ideas.

I need to do some research on this. Talking about everyone else's setups has got me thinking about what I would want out of a carputer.

so I guess winterdriving is not in your forcast?

actually i have never had a problem overheating ever since i switched to an epia mobo like 2 years ago. only problem i ever encounter in the cold is the the lcd is out of its operating range for the first couple min until the backlight warms the screen up so you can see it.

Well, for the dash idea, during the winter you could reverse the fan so that it becomes an exhaust fan. The warm air will go into the vent and warm the rest of the car.

I have a similar issue with my head unit's LCD. It was one of the first models to have a multi-color LCD display (8 colors woohoo!) and it will be almost unreadable on a cold winter morning but it only takes a minute or so to warm up to a readable temperature.

chuyler1 said:
Well, for the dash idea, during the winter you could reverse the fan so that it becomes an exhaust fan. The warm air will go into the vent and warm the rest of the car.

Good Idea,

BTW, Poseur...I still like the blue trim but I see what you mean about tying it in with the rest of the interior.

If I end up making custom door panels for my Iridiums I may follow your lead and attempt to trim them with silver and a ring of laser blue directly around the speaker. That would give me enough blue to match a similar custom install in the dash.

IMG_0437.jpg

Did you ever finish the head unit install down below?

THe problem with Proteges and this kind of setup istaht we're severley depth-disadvantaged. and ther eis not physically enough room for one of those boards to fit right. Katya did one where the board is actually attached to that evilmean crossmember that gets in the way. I initially had it plannedout to put my mobo inside of my center console, but then I opted for a fullsized atx.

Also, nope never really finished it. I've got a bad case of "eh, it works" as soon as I can find some time at school to mess with it, I'll be making some sort of trimplate. FOrtunately I've atleast been a bit more into project mode lately, so it could happen.

I was thinking about checking the depth when I got out of work and I knew it would be an issue but I guess you already thought about that. Has anyone tried to remove the bar (or a portion of it)?

It just makes the whole carputer thing more appealing if it just drops right into the dash and the only thing you have to connect is the power cord and audio outputs.

I recently got access to a pretty decent laptop for 300 bucks, I've never been inside a laptop so this may be a dumb question...

How feasable is it to install the screen remotely? I'm thinking a 15in widescreen might be sick glassed in the dash... or is touchscreen capablity more important than I realize.

That would be the way too easy solution that Everyone wishes would be easy, would make lots of sense, and in reality is not. For some reason all laptop makers have decided to make the wiring of their screens fort knox. Simply extending wires might be somewhat more feasible than using the screen attached to something else, but it would still be somewhat uncharted waters. Also, where in your dash are you going to fit a 15" screen?

macmini
Rather daring of him to take a new one and open it up and not to mention all the cutting...
some food for thought, I'm told the low end one runs like 500 with a 40 gig laptop hd

Yeah, I saw that one. The MacMini has its Pros and Cons. There is more software support (as always) for Windows-Based CarPuters.

Back