Finally diving into the carputing world

GHOSTWHISPER said:
you going to be molding that b**** in?

The Xenarc is relatively simple to fit in the stock bezel. You just have to dremel out a bit to make the hole wider and then I used Bondo to smooth it out.

W95? 4 real???

XP loads considerably faster, but still...instant on...now that's what Ima talking about. The sleep mode on a Mac doesn't drain much battery at all. I could leave my iBook on sleep like day and a half and still have plenty of battery.

Poser, that bezel looks shweet! Have you should looked into a Mac Mini?

Most of you probably remember booting W95 on a 486 or first gen Pentium. Depending upon how much junk you installed it could boot in less than 2 minutes. Now put W95 on a 2GHz P4...

Maybe I always install too much crap but Linux IMO takes forever to startup.

Is there an mp3 program for DOS? That will get you your instant-on.

why not just str?

that uses almost no power if you have an opus or any decent 12v psu.. . i would do that with mine but for some reason my computer turns off but the fans never do. so hibernate i go

Check out nLite

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before, but it can drastically reduce startup times. I'm in the process of setting up the software for my new Carputer, so I've been looking at a lot of the same things as you guys.

Good Luck!

I'm all for speeding up the boot process, but I think I'd rather be fully functional computer-wise and have pre-booting capability. I've looked into nlite, and actually pulled a few things, but I've got a bad case of "well you never know when..." Besides it's not like I'm running a overrated via or anything.

At anyrate, If I can kick this annoying cold, I should have things up and running real soon-like

kingvitamin said:
Proud owner of an overrated VIA M10000.(yippy)

Yea same here...actually two but I blew the first one by starting it up with a screwdriver. Anyone have/planning on having OBD-II Diagnostics/engine managment with their carputer? I wanna get the Greddy E-Manage or DSM AFC but I'm not sure how practical it is on a 7" carputer screen...

HAHA, hey I'm paying the space penalty, might as well enjoy the power...

At anyrate, screen's molding in alright sofar... I decided to try to keep the black surround for some definition, we'll see if that winds up flying or not, sofar it lookslike I'll need to re-black it eitherway. I sanded through the tape in a spot, had to re-apply.

DAMN that's alotta sanding BTW. The last pics' after my first application of bondoglass/sanding. I've since bondo'd once more and sanded and then added another layer of bondo tha tI'll be sanding tomorrow prolly at work. Ideally I'm shooting to maintain alot of the original contours. Sofar most of the molded in screens I've seen almost get too flowy. which winds up neat, but kinda un-mazda. in the end, it'sa screen going in my dash, who gives a flying F... it'll be neat-o and s***.

Attachments

• P1030151.JPG
    P1030151.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 143
  • P1030153.JPG
    P1030153.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 130
  • P1030154.JPG
    P1030154.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
d00d mines a million times better im putting in a 32" plasma in dash lols and my carputer is the best

For some reason I am really concerned about power draw. That was one reason for choosing the EPIA, Morex case/60w power supply, and carnetix shutdown controller. We have wimpy alternators. I took that into consideration when choosing my amps too. I opted for US Accoustics amps solely for the low amperage draw, and based on the good reviews that I read about them. Turns out the amps are unbelievably clean, and small to boot! Hope this carputer turns out to out good too.

wire tally for the day. (pics to follow)
10g power wire
10g ground
8g chassis ground to my common grounding point.
16g fan power wire
16g remote turnon lead both powered off of a relay that turns them on when either ign or acc is active
4x16g carrying 5v and 12v + and - from psu to usbhub and dvd/cdrw
USB to hub
digital coax to hu
+12v switched to xenarc.
vga to touchscreen
upgraded my amp's rca's (3pairs) to nice PG
extra cat5 wire front to back for whatever else I might windup doing (such as temp sensors)

kingvitamin said:
For some reason I am really concerned about power draw. That was one reason for choosing the EPIA, Morex case/60w power supply, and carnetix shutdown controller. We have wimpy alternators. I took that into consideration when choosing my amps too. I opted for US Accoustics amps solely for the low amperage draw, and based on the good reviews that I read about them. Turns out the amps are unbelievably clean, and small to boot! Hope this carputer turns out to out good too.

GL w/ your setup. I was using a 200 watt PSU w/ ITPS and it melted, so I bought an M1-ATX that should be going in this week. I won't have time to work on it till Thursday or later this week. But I'll let you know how it goes, and it is just 90 watts. My system only pulls about 50-60 watts and the amp isn't pulling from the power supply.

I just got back from Cleveland and Opening Day. All my goodies are finally here, so I hope to get working on this tomorrow. I'm sure that setting up the software is going to take me into next weekend, so that's when I am planning on tearing into my car, and molding the screen in the dash. I bought a extra center console-dash piece from a guy on here from Canada, because I'm a sissy, and don't wanna ruin my car!

Wish me luck...

Back